Note: I am posting this pre-order announcement on behalf of Jacky from 51nb.com, a.k.a. "lcdfans"... I have attached below Jacky's original commission request on Tencent QQ, with screenshots, and also a translation of this request below.
ThinkPad X210 - Left (source: 51nb.com)
In response to the continued demand for X210 motherboards, 51nb.com has decided to launch another batch of these motherboards. The 4th batch motherboards will come with identical specifications (save for some minor tweaks and upgrades) as the 3rd batch.
This pre-order is for bare X210 motherboards, i.e. you will need to prepare your own X200(s)/201(s) and all the necessary tools (I will translate the original X210 product guide/review on 51nb.com, and compile a new assembly guide shortly). Custom coolers, MyLar films, and 3D-printed port spacers (ExpressCard and UltraBase support will be removed) are available for purchase separately.
- 8th Gen Intel Processor: all motherboards from this batch will come with i7-8650U processors (tested engineering samples).
- Panel Support: 12.6-inch 2880x1920 and 12.2-inch 1920x1200 IPS panels (both with 90% or higher sRGB, and 70% or higher AdobeRGB gamuts), and of course the original LVDS panels, if you so desire.
- External I/O:
- Data I/O: USB 3.0 * 2 (one always-on), USB 2.0 * 1 (original hardware), GbE ethernet (10/100/1000Mbps), 56k Modem (original hardware).
- A/V I/O: VGA, Mini DisplayPort (taking place of the original ExpressCard slot), 3.5mm In/Out (original hardware).
- Human Input Devices: original keyboard and/or touchpad.
- Miscellaneous: Kensington Lock (original hardware).
- Internal I/O (for end-users):
- RAM: 2 * SODIMM, DDR4 2133/2400MHz.
- Expansions: NVMe on M.2 2280 * 1, mPCIe * 2 (one USB/SATA only, the other is full-featured), uSIM for 3G/LTE (WWAN card ready).
- Storage: M.2 2280 (NVMe only) * 1 (original space for ExpressCard), mSATA * 1 (original slot space), and SATA * 1 (original slot space).
Pricing and Order Information
There are multiple purchase options available...
- $800 for the bare X210 motherboard.
- $260 extra if you would like a pre-modded "upper body" (lid and bezel CNC modded to fit the larger panel).
- $1280 if you would like to purchase an "all-new" X210, with new lid, bezels, palm rest, chassis, and keyboard. This pre-assembled option will also bundle a cooler by a 51nb forum member "17m19" which adds two extra heat pipes to the original X201 cooler.
- $10 for MyLar films which insulate the motherboard from the chassis.
- $10 for 3-D printed port spacers which cover up the original ExpressCard slot and the docking port, which are removed in this mod.
- $65 for a cooler by a 51nb forum member "17m19" which adds two extra heat pipes to the original X201 cooler, this will provide sufficient cooling for the i7-8650U on the motherboard (even on 35W cTDP!).
Western Union Information
- First Name: Yongtao
- Last Name: Zhang
- Country: China
- City: Zhengzhou
- Address: No. 270 Jinshui Road, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
- Phone: +86 18603051110
Pre-and-Post Order Contact (or for pre-assembled X210's)
- Jacky "lcdfans" Zhang, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lcdfans.
- Jacky is also known as “lcdfans” on WeChat, where he is more likely to respond promptly - this is recommended.
- Any communication or ordering difficulties, questions, and complaints may be posted below.
- Alternatively, you may contact me directly...
- P.M. user jeffbaichina at forum.thinkpads.com, or /u/JeffBai on Reddit.
- Facebook Messenger at Mingcong Bai.
- Or any X210-related posts I have made or will make on Reddit or forum.thinkpads.com.
Drivers and BIOS updates are available on www.cnmod.cn.
Warranty and RMA information
Each motherboard are covered under a 6-month manufacturer warranty plan, any accidental damage are covered with paid service. RMA contacts are the same as the ones above (Jacky or me).
- How much does it cost to ship to Germany/Poland/South Africa/...? International shipping will cost 55 USD regardless of the country you're in.
- Can I purchase an X210 pre-assembled? Absolutely! If that's what you need, please contact Jacky with the contact information provided above (and contact me as a backup, should Jacky be unresponsive). You are also free to make requests about screen customisation, as mentioned above, 3:2 panels are also available - at an extra cost.
- What if Jacky doesn't reply to my e-mails? You've got several options: reply and complain below, DM me, and I will poke Jacky right away. Alternatively you may try and contact Jacky via WeChat, he is known to be more responsive there.
- Is it possible to dock the X210 (UltraBase, Mini Docks, etc.)? Unfortunately, as the docking port is highly complex electrically and is still patented, this is unlikely to happen in the near future. But as Lenovo have already dropped this port in newer models, there might be some possibilities later.
- Does the $800 price include a screen? No, the price is for a motherboard only. Multiple people have asked about this in the past day, I am currently contacting Jacky for a quote. For now, please contact Jacky for an exact quote on any bundle or custom builds.
- Can I use an X201s instead of an X201? Yes, however, there is one consideration: cooler. There is a cooler by a 51nb forum member "17m19" which adds two extra heat pipes to the original X201 cooler. With this cooler, you will be able to sufficiently cool the 8650U processor, with 35W cTDP set in the BIOS. I would personally consider this an essential mod, and especially when the X201s is not significantly lighter in the grand scheme of things...
- What are the purposes of the MyLar films and 3-D printed port spacers? The MyLar films are for insulation from the metal casing of the laptop, and the port spacers closes the gaps of the removed ExpressCard slot and the docking port.
- Are the webcam and ThinkLight retained with the 12.6-inch 3:2 panel mod? Yes and no. With the 12.6 inch panel you do sacrifice the webcam, but everything else will be left intact.
- Is the 12.6-inch, 3:2 panel glossy or matte? It's glossy, but Jacky should be able to install a matte film on top upon your request. The panel is a BOE NV126A1M-N52, and here is a picture of it installed.
- Is the X210 still water-proof (i.e. is the drainage hole still functional)? So far it seems that it won't be, as the motherboard will block off the hole. I am currently contacting Jacky to get a definitive answer.
- Can X210, or any other 51nb ThinkPad mods have (capacitive) touch screens? Not officially, but it should be possible with hardware mods. Do note however this will void your warranty.
- Can I ship my own X200(s)/201(s) to Jacky and have him mod the laptop for me? Absolutely! For instance, if you would like to send over an X201 and have it modded with an X210 motherboard and 3:2 screen, you would need to pay for the shipping, $800 for the motherboard, and $260 for the screen mod.
- Will the $1280 pre-assembled option come with all the MyLar films and port spacers? Yes.
- Is the 13-inch, 3000x2000 screen mod available from Jacky? Unfortunately, Jacky has indicated that there are structural and signal integrity concerns with this mod, and will not provide this mod at present.
- Should I buy or should I wait? Emm... I mean, I am working on behalf of a seller here - INSERT UNCONVINCING ARGUMENTS HERE. However, 51nb have received legal letters from Lenovo in recent months and as far as I know, one of which targets these modded motherboards. This batch of X210 motherboards being launched is already against the odds, so I wouldn't bank on another run in the future.
Original commissioning request from Jacky "lcdfans" Zhang, who makes these motherboards.
Proof of Commission by Jacky
My name is Jacky, I am from China.
First, please allow me to express my gratitude for your continued support for our motherboard modding projects. Thanks to your support, we have successfully sold over a thousand X62, X63, T70, and X210 motherboards. With continued demand from 51nb and beyond, we have decided to produce a 4th batch of X210 motherboards.
Due to heavy Internet censorship by the Chinese government, it is difficult for us (51nb.com employees) to access GMail, Facebook, and also Reddit/Thinkpad.com forums (where this is posted). I, Jacky, have commissioned my friend in the United States (me, /u/JeffBai, or JeffBaiCHINA on forum.thinkpads.com) for announcements and pre-and-post-sale communications.
Again, thank you for your continued attention and support. With the current Sino-U.S. trade conflicts continuing to gain severity, we ask for your forgiveness and understanding, that we are still unable to accept payments via PayPal (since July 1st of 2018, Chinese PayPal users are no longer able to transfer any funds to bank accounts received on PayPal).
We understand that there have been difficulties regarding order placing and post-sales support, and we ask for your forgiveness and understanding - considering the aforementioned issues with Internet access and funds. We are making our utmost effort to overcome these issues, and to provide these DIY products for your needs.
If you have any further questions, please post them below and my friend (/u/JeffBai on Reddit or JeffBaiCHINA on the forums) will be happy to assist. Thank you!