Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLD: IBM ThinkPad 760EL in working order - rare retro laptop in mint condition

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
Forsa

#1 Post by Forsa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:38 pm

For the vintage hardware collectors among you, here is a very special item: this is an IBM ThinkPad dating from 1997, in full working order and restored lovingly to mint cosmetic condition.

Specs:

IBM ThinkPad 760EL Type 9547 (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:760EL)
• Intel Pentium 120 MHz CPU (no MMX)
• Intel 430MX chipset
• Trident Cyber9320 video controller with 1 MB VRAM (no 3D acceleration capabilities)
• 12.1" Active Matrix TFT display with 800x600 resolution and 16-bit colour (SVGA)
• 24 MB RAM (8 MB built-in + 2x 8 MB modules) - expandable to max 104 MB, I believe
• 2.1 GB IDE HDD in an UltraBay caddy
• ES1688 Audio controller (ISA)
• IrDA 1.0
• UltraBay Thick - keyboard lifts up to let you access the goodies
• 1.44 MB 3.5” FDD UltraBay module (swappable)
• CD-ROM UltraBay module (swappable)
• Serial, parallel, PS/2, external IBM floppy, docking station and analog VGA ports in the back
• 2x Type II PCMCIA CardBus slots or 1x type III
• Lithium Ion battery (swappable)
• UK layout keyboard with the integrated fancy LCD panel showing battery status, disk activity, CAPS LOCK state, etc.
• Genuine IBM charger is included, however I can't find the cable to connect it to the mains. You'll need a standard C5 female 3-pin lead to use it

>> For photos, see https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3b5ww289q2of ... O8DSayJewa <<

Latest firmware already installed. Great support for DOS including sound in games through hardware-level Sound Blaster compatibility of the ES1688 chip, also supports Windows 9x, NT, Windows 2000 and other legacy operating systems of that vintage such as BeOS and OPENSTEP for Mach 4.2. I've installed OPENSTEP and it ran well, with full 16-bit colour and sound support.

Machine is working well. Both the CMOS battery and the main Li-Ion battery hold a charge, but due to the age of the machine, I can't guarantee how long this will last.

This model has the famous lift up keyboard design where the back of the keyboard automatically tilts up a little as you open the lid, to provide a more ergonomic angle for touch-typing. You may manually operate this mechanism to make the keyboard lie flat, if you prefer.

This computer is generally in good condition, however it is 23 years-old, so please note the following minor issues:

- The front IrDA transceiver seems to be kaput, although the rear one works. This module can be replaced by the user if front-facing Infrared operation is needed
- The plastic flap/lid to cover the ports in the back is missing.
- One corner of the top lid was chipped and has been patched up using black electrical tape. The LCD panel itself is not damaged, it’s just a cosmetic defect.
- There was a hairline crack on the front bezel around the left UltraBay slot. I‘ve repaired this with superglue and paint, so that it’s strong and looks seamless

I’ve cleaned the machine and tested everything I could, but I have no devices with which to test the docking, external floppy, serial and parallel ports.

As you may know, the 760 family were IBM's top-of-the-range laptops back in their heyday and retailed for silly money when they were brand new. Inspired by the Japanese bento box design, they were built like tanks and with ease of maintenance and expandability in mind. The fact that this specimen looks so good and works so well even today is testament to IBM’s engineering prowess. The UltraBay cable-free and tool-free swappable design to switch peripherals is a stroke of brilliance.

NASA had approved the TP 760 family for use in space shuttle missions and they’re also used on the international space station MIR. This is your chance to own a significant milestone in the development of portable computers and/or pretend you’re an astronaut. It’s also perfect for playing old DOS games such as Doom, Doom II, Quake, Secret of Monkey Island and other classic LucasArts adventure titles, even early Win9x software.

Asking price is £200 + shipping or the buyer may collect from my home in Berkshire, UK
Last edited by Forsa on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
760EL, 760XL, X1 Carbon 5th gen and soon a P1 2nd gen.

Forsa

#2 Post by Forsa » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm

This one has been sold now through another platform.
760EL, 760XL, X1 Carbon 5th gen and soon a P1 2nd gen.