Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Negative feedbacks for traders and Tips for fair trading

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
bigtiger

Negative feedbacks for traders and Tips for fair trading

#1 Post by bigtiger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:04 pm

While there is a positive feedback thread, I deem it also should have a thread for posting negative feedbacks.

If you want to leave a negative feedback, please leave it here. I will edit them and post them all in this first post.

By the way, I hope this thread is all clean and vacant.:lol:

First thing first: what if a problem happens?

Whenever there is a problem, it is recommended you contact the seller first. Most problems can be solved by dealing the the seller directly. From my personal experience, more than 90% of sellers are willing to solve the problems.

If you are using eBay, there is one more thing you can do: you can open a dispute through eBay.

Out of a blue moon, the seller might be a crook anyway. In that case, please help other members by posting your experience here. I am not an Atterney General. But I can help you post your experience here and give you suggestions on what to do next.

Good luck, everybody.

ADMIN EDIT: made it a sticky.. will see how it works out..
currently own X61S, T42, X31, Macbook Pro Unibody i5

lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

fbrdphreak's T42 not correctly described

#2 Post by lophiomys » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:36 am

Unfortunately I have a bad feedback for fbrdphreak on
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

After a lengthy and tiresome private discussion a full return & refund
was issued and the case is resolved now.

PROBLEM:
The shipped Thinkpad T42 did not come up to it's description.
Serious defects where not declared.
"
[Start of citation]
The machine is in great condition, with no problems at all. The screen is immaculate, a great example of the FlexView displays.
[End of citation]
"

2 Major issues:
- The 15" Flexview screen, which was described as "immaculate",
does actually show multiple grey spots and grey areas,
which are clearly visible on white background.
Some grey spots can be seen on photos in original Markteplace thread,
but only if you know where to look for them.

- The case is severely broken/cracked in the upper left corner, USB slots battered. A piece of casing between USB slots is missing.
If you know what you are looking for, the crack can even barely be seen
on the original photos in the item description by fbrdphreak
(see Link to the Marketplace post above).

Minor issues:
- The unit was dirty. Never seen something like this before.
- The LCD surface has permanent specks on its surface,
not removalbe with 1:1 iso-propylene-alcohol (using arche6's cleansing methods)
- corrosion and dirt inside USB and LAN slots
- The included 6-Cell Sony battery is a recall-candidate, whereby the exchange was already done by Lenovo. (verified via S/N No. on web interface)
--- --- ---

Personally I was very disappointed when opening the box.
Those major defects should have been easily discovered by the seller,
we are all Thinkpad phreaks and do normally look carefully at the units we have in our hands.
BTW the parcel box was totally intact, no scratch, no
dent, and customs did not open the parcel. Therefore no damage in transit.

I am also disappointed about the way the discussion was led at the very
beginning, from my point of view along the lines: the European crook
damages the Thinkpad and wants to send it back, as the unit supposedly
left the sellers house in mint condition. It caused me some grey hairs to
investigate what was going on here and to prove fbrdphreak wrong.
We both lost money on it, as the shipping charges US <> EU are quite substantial.
This would easily have been avoided by properly describing the unit on offer.

The whole deal was not up to the standards, expected among members
of the Thinkpads forum.
Lophiomys
Thinkpads with 15inch 4:3 UXGA 133DPI IPS/Flexview: 2x T43p SATA Mod., 3x T42p (dying by Flexing), 2x T60p (1xATI, 1xIntel/new BoeHydis);
R51 SXGA+; X31; X41T; X41 Sata Mod; all Made in China; 570E, 701C; MBP15c3UB non-glossy mid09 / formerly 600X, 760E

dsigma6
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by dsigma6 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:06 am

Sorry you had to waste time and money on this. I don't know why the seller would do that...

I bought a T21 over 6 months ago and it was covered in ashes beyond belief, inside and out. Needless to say, I don't speak of or buy from that seller anymore.
[Current] [Dell Latitude D630] : [Past] [T43] [T40] [T23] [T20] [R40] [X22] [600E] [570] [765D]

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by ryengineer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:08 am

Accept sympathy from me as well.

I don't know why a person would state very incorrect condition of an item? If just to get more bucks? then that is simply pathetic, especially on thinkpad forum where most people know about the machine(s) inside out.

I have bought from this forum once and my experience has been relatively very good.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

dsigma6
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by dsigma6 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:38 am

It's a shame that escrow needs to be used even on lower value transactions with longstanding members. I know who I've dealt with and who I trust. Anyone could try and pull something at any time, but you can't live and conduct transactions on this site with that mindset.
[Current] [Dell Latitude D630] : [Past] [T43] [T40] [T23] [T20] [R40] [X22] [600E] [570] [765D]

scosgt1
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Akjula66 screwed me!

#6 Post by scosgt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:02 pm

:

I bought this machine:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=47432
Which is clearly represented as having a FlexView LCD, because I need a screen to swap out on an A30p
Well the unit arrived promptly, and as soon as I turned it on, I knew it was NOT FlexView. 1400X1050, yes, FlexView NO. No wide viewing angle, no high contrast. Compared it to an A30p (which has the right LCD), not even close.

So I contacted him right away. I offered to send it back, or to make some adjustment since I really only needed a FlexView LCD, or a machine with a FlexView LCD that I could swap out.

He totally refuses to settle this in any way, tells me to prove it is not a FlexView LCD. So time for PayPal dispute, of course I will do a chargeback on my credit card, his PayPal account will be tied up. Too bad, I tried to be reasonable. But indeed, HE MISREPRESENTED WHAT HE HAD FOR SALE, AND EVERYONE HERE SHOULD KNOW IT.
PLEASE DO NOT PM
My handheld device can not access PM's and I will not respond.
my email is
scosgt@worldnet.att.net

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:51 pm

I hate being put in a spot like this, but:

a) This is what the gentleman wrote in his first "complaint" email to me:
They did not even make FlexView 1400X1050 LCD's on the A3X series.
Meanwhile, the following page would beg to differ:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Flexview

The other reasons that I've questioned his judgment on FlexView screens are the following threads:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#316013
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#312640
And, in all honesty, he was the one who asked me first to prove that the machine in question has a FlexView screen.

b) I've stated that I don't have a problem in accepting that I'm wrong once it's proven to me, and here's what I got as a reply:
I tried to be reasonable. Now screw you.
IMHO, someone who demands proof but provides none himself is not really being reasonable. More likely looking to pick a fight:
if you are not agreeing to take it back or make some adjustment, I know how to deal with you.

Anyone who has any idea of what I'm about can tell you that threats of any kind are not the way to deal with me.

BTW I've kept all the emails and PMs, just for the sake of being able to prove that I'm not making any of this up.

I'm not out to s...w anyone, but refuse to deal with people who choose to be arrogant and treat others like lowlifes.

Also, the "generic" copy of XP referred to in the other thread is the original A30/31/P disk set...

More on all of this later, if need be.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

scosgt1
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Uh no

#8 Post by scosgt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:07 pm

Uh, no
The previous threads about "my" flexview units for sale were based on the IBM info pages about the exact model number, which I posted and which were apparently in error (by IBM, not me).
When this was pointed out to me, I withdrew my claim that they were flexview, and in fact sold those units as hi res but NOT flexview. NO false claims were made.

As far as what I received on the unit, the desktop has a popup baloon that states "X days until activation". So I don't think that is original IBM software, but then, there was no COA included (as per agreement), so how could you have provided a real copy of XP.

The bottom line here is that it is NOT as advertised, and I posted the photos to prove it. EVERYONE agrees from the photos that it is NOT flexview.

And I also stated that the machine and screen are both nice, my only complaint is the misrepresentation. So don't try to put the focus someplace else. You lied about the screen and won't address that issue.
PLEASE DO NOT PM
my email is
scosgt@worldnet.att.net

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by JaneL » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:15 pm

ajkula66 wrote:I'm not out to s...w anyone, but refuse to deal with people who choose to be arrogant and treat others like lowlifes.
@ ajkula66: While I'm perfectly willing to believe that Bruce might be wrong about something, at least three of the admins here will vouch for his honesty over many years of dealing with him both here and on the mailing list. If he says what you sold him isn't as advertised, it's because he believes it isn't. I strongly encourage you to come down off your high horse, figure out what the problem is and settle this.

@ Bruce: Knock off the name-calling.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#10 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 pm

Nonny,

Thanks for the advice. However, the very fact that the other thread is still in place speaks volumes...

I apologize if someone finds offensive the fact that I refuse to bend and allow anyone to treat me like a piece of dirt, whether I'm right or wrong. I've slugged through a couple of wars without doing so, and will be darn if I'm going to accept it on this forum or anyplace else...

As previously stated, I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong. But there are ways of going about it.

Until later, if need be.

Cheers,

scosgt1
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#11 Post by scosgt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:58 pm

nonny wrote:
ajkula66 wrote:I'm not out to s...w anyone, but refuse to deal with people who choose to be arrogant and treat others like lowlifes.
@ ajkula66: While I'm perfectly willing to believe that Bruce might be wrong about something, at least three of the admins here will vouch for his honesty over many years of dealing with him both here and on the mailing list. If he says what you sold him isn't as advertised, it's because he believes it isn't. I strongly encourage you to come down off your high horse, figure out what the problem is and settle this.

@ Bruce: Knock off the name-calling.
I am not the one posting PM's to the public. I think I posted enough photographic evidence on the other thread to have proved this beyond a reasonable doubt. And again, I am not taking issue with anything he has said or done in the past, this is a one issue matter.
PLEASE DO NOT PM
my email is
scosgt@worldnet.att.net

Jan_Hoho
Freshman Member

#12 Post by Jan_Hoho » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 am

Though never having conducted any business with him myself, I find it *very* hard to believe that ajkula66, who sells multiple units a week on this forum, would deliberately ruin his good reputation here for a ridiculous $230.
I, too, find OP's tone quite offensive. This is not the way to talk to someone who might have made a mistake and fails to see it (yet?).

From what I can gather, ajkula66 offered to solve the matter in an appropriate manner as soon he was proved to be wrong on the matter. It seems this has been done in the other thread, so this seems like a good moment to take back the machine and offer a full refund.
T60

dsigma6
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#13 Post by dsigma6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:35 pm

Reputation tainted.

Was it worth it?

(Sorry, I had to)

Look, we all understand that things go wrong, intentionally or not. I messed up once on a small sale ($20), so on the next order I gave the guy a 30% discount off of the previously agreed upon price.

Do the right thing.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#14 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:46 pm

dsigma6 wrote:

Reputation tainted.

Was it worth it?

I don't believe that you've ever dealt with me, and I do respect some of your posts that I've read, that's why I'm answering here:

If you really think that this is about refunding a customer for a judgment error made on my part, you're sadly mistaken. It might have been the case for the first five minutes of this whole scenario...

If I have to make a choice between keeping my reputation and my backbone, I'll gladly give up the reputation.

That's all I have to say here and now.

Until later, if need be.

Cheers,

scosgt1
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Done

#15 Post by scosgt1 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:57 am

This matter has been settled. No further comment is needed.
PLEASE DO NOT PM
my email is
scosgt@worldnet.att.net

wearetheborg

Re: Done

#16 Post by wearetheborg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:13 pm

scosgt1 wrote:This matter has been settled. No further comment is needed.
Settled how ?
After all the drama, dont hold out on the climax :mrgreen:
HP NC8000 UXGA; Dell Precision M90 WUXGA; R50P UXGA
Please PM me if you've had experience with SquareTrade warranties

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#17 Post by JaneL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:37 pm

Bill negotiated a solution that was agreed upon by both parties. Details are not important.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
I'm on Twitter

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: Done

#18 Post by BillMorrow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:51 am

wearetheborg wrote:
scosgt1 wrote:This matter has been settled. No further comment is needed.
Settled how ?
After all the drama, dont hold out on the climax :mrgreen:
as nonny says, the matter is CLOSED..!

you have no standing to involve yourself..
if you want to do business with ajkula66 or scosgt1 you can be sure that each has been proven to be an honest seller..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#19 Post by Harryc » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:47 pm

It is with a sad heart that I'm here reporting that Temetka has not followed through on a sale of an Athlon CPU to me. Despite several attempts to contact Temetka since the sale/payment on 9/16 there has been no response. Today I openned up a dispute with Paypal for non-delivery of goods, a move I personally struggled with given the circumstances surrounding Temetka's present (alleged) situation with foreclosure. I am hopefull that this matter will come to an amicable and timely resolution within the next few days, but for now I am sad to report Temetka as a bad trader.
Harryc

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#20 Post by Kyocera » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Moderator Message: This is a "negative feedback thread" not rumor control headquarters.

Negative feedback is for ACTUAL TRANSACTIONS GONE BAD, not personal problems, not gossip, not complaining about someones selling preferences. Negative Feedback is not the place for this at all.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#21 Post by Harryc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 pm

Just a quick update to say that Temetka contacted me today and said the item has shipped. He's said he's been ill and that he is just getting back on his feet.

ms5133
Sophomore Member

#22 Post by ms5133 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:00 pm

A lot of hassle could have been avoided with a little communication.
(see my post"Is your reputation worth $10.00")

I found the items I bought from compnerd4 in my mailbox today(post-marked Nov.06)

All that needed to be done to change this from a bad trade to a good one was an acknowledgement, a short PM or an answer to E Mails.

I still have not had any communication from compnerd4 to this day. All's well that ends well????
T61/T60/R50E/A22P/A20M/600X-1/600E/600/760ED-3

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#23 Post by Temetka » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 am

Harryc wrote:Just a quick update to say that Temetka contacted me today and said the item has shipped. He's said he's been ill and that he is just getting back on his feet.
Wow was that really over a year ago? Stress, money and drama got me terribly sick for weeks. So I hope the CPU did it's job for you.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

renhui

#24 Post by renhui » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:49 pm

negative feedback for northcarolinagal

he sold me a HP tv tuner card which turned out to be non-functional, and he wouldn't reply to email or give my money back!
Current Thinkpad Gallery: X301 X200 T40
Past: T400/T61/T60/X60T/X60/Z60/X41T/X40/T21

scottmti

Trust worthy forum member from a newbie

#25 Post by scottmti » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:58 am

CD Came and apparently Postal service had misplaced it or something cause it was dated 2weeks ago and it apparently got delayed or maybe they just misplaced it and finnaly found it or something. Item came undamaged.
I guess it wasn't the seller fault.
I just removed the previous post since item came and it is what the seller said it was.

Scott
"new T42P owner"
Last edited by scottmti on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikki605

Re: Trust worthy forum member from a newbie

#26 Post by nikki605 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 am

I can't say if you've been scammed or not, but if it were me, I guess I would PM Bill Morrow and ask him if he still has the previous forum database. With the sellers email address, he may be able to cross reference to his user name and get you some more information.

Did you get any kind of tracking number or do you know the shipper (air mail?) the seller used?
Gary A.

lenovo: T490 (20N20028US) | i7-8565U | 16GB | 512GB SSD | FHD LED | WiFi 9560 | Bluetooth | Webcam | Win10 Pro x64 | Full System Specs

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trust worthy forum member from a newbie

#27 Post by JaneL » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am

scottmti wrote:Well I had to reregister and I have lost all the PM messages from previous forum.
Why did you have to re-register, and what username were you using the first time?
Jane
I'm on Twitter

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Negative feedbacks for traders and Tips for fair trading

#28 Post by dsvochak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 am

Scott--

Is this is the listing you purchased from:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70498

If so, there's the sellers username, etc. A quick check of both this thread and the positive feedback thread didn't find anything.

Also, international shipping can take a long time. 16 days from AU may not be unusual. Bill Bolton or KristianJ may know whether it is or not.
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

scottmti

#29 Post by scottmti » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Yes that is a the post I had sent the PM to the seller.
As of now I am moving on from this experience. I am kind a glad that it was very small amount of money.
I'm keeping faith on item would arrive pretty soon. If not it's not a huge deal for me not to trust other people.
I just need to be more patient when buying something. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
I was thinking getting the disk and make a fresh install and have it trade for something more portable, but I am kind a getting use to this Thinkpad. It's not so heavy but i really don't really need this high resolutions.
Maybe little more research and more knowledge I might be in the market for X series or something with 14" monitor.
now I bought a two AC adapter, docking station and upgraded to 2GB memory I am enjoying this laptop.

Why do I needed to re register? I really don't know. I used same ID and same e-mail addy so I really don't know. never gave a second thought about it. Considering i was very new on this forum I figure with new board and without being a seasoned member I had to re register. So i did and not a huge deal for me.

Thanks for finding the for sale link for me. I'm not going to pursue this topic anymore. Nor am I going to do search on him or send him a e-mails anymore. If it comes fine if not its ok.

Thanks guys
Sorry for venting out. I didn't meant for this topic to be in negative feed back area.

Scott
Los angeles

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#30 Post by jronald » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:21 pm

If it helps
I ordered an adapter from HK on Dec 31st
Got it today
You can do the math!

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's