Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[FS] Good condition high-spec T500: $179 on one condition...

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

[FS] Good condition high-spec T500: $179 on one condition...

#1 Post by ThinkRob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:45 am

Yes, you read the title right: I'm selling a high-spec T500 in good condition for $179.

First, the specs of the machine:
- Core 2 Duo P8700 - 2.53GHz, 3MB L2
- 4 GB RAM
- 80 GB HD (or larger, depending on what I have on hand)
- Intel 5100 WLAN
- 1680 x 1050 screen (the best panel available for the T500)
- ATI/Intel hybrid graphics
- keyboard with solid backplate (i.e. not the much-hated "flexy" one)

All that, for $179 + shipping (at cost), on one condition.

So what's the catch? Well: I'm an evangelist. No, no -- not the kind that shows up at 7AM on your doorstep on a Saturday morning asking if you've found salvation yet. No, I'm a Linux evangelist (and I'm rarely up at 7AM!)

I'd like to get more people, particularly those in the younger generations interested in Linux. As a result, I've decided to conduct a little experiment.

1) I will set up and configure a Linux distro of my choice on the T500 to be as user-friendly as possible. I will ensure that all the hardware is supported (IIRC it actually is all supported out-of-the-box, but I'll double check) and will make the OS as self-maintaining as possible.

2) I will provide some basic instructions/introductory training info. to the recipient. (Things like how to log in, what software you can use to get started, etc.)

3) I will happily schedule up to two hours per weekend for a period of six weeks in which to provide phone-based (or e-mail/IM-based, if you prefer) support and training. Anything you want to learn how to do, or any problems you're having, just ask.

4) I'd really like to see this laptop be a kid's first computer, so this isn't an adults-only offer. If you're a parent looking for a machine for your child, I'd be happy to help you get them started with Linux.

5) This machine would be intended for general use. If you've got a specific game or a specific piece of Windows-only software that you absolutely, positively have to use, this probably wouldn't be the best choice for you.*

Now there are a couple of conditions:

1) If you're planning on buying this just to install Windows on it or to resell it, please don't. I don't actually have any way of enforcing this, I know, but that's not the spirit in which it's offered, so I can only ask that you not do that.

2) If you're an experienced Linux user, please don't consider this. Again, I have no way of enforcing this, so I can only ask for your cooperation.

3) If you decide to do this, I'd like to ask that for the first six weeks you provide a brief week-by-week write up of your experiences. I'm particularly interested in hearing about anything you've discovered on your own, or anything you think is cool, odd, annoying, or fun, but really any thoughts on the system are fine. It doesn't have to be long -- a paragraph or so would certainly suffice -- but I would appreciate an honest account of what you've experienced.

4) I will publish a description of this little experiment, along with your write-ups, on my personal website under the Creative Commons license (specifically the non-commercial, attribution-required, US variant). So as to do this, I'll either need you to assign the copyright to me, or to declare the write-ups to be published under said license. Since the ThinkPads.com forum has a rather aggressive copyright assignment policy, posting the write-ups, etc. here first would prevent future (re-)distribution under the an open license like Creative Commons. Yeah, I know -- my evangelism runs deep. :D (As an aside, if you'd like your name and any identifying information to be redacted, I will happily do so. Alternately, if you'd like a link to your site/homepage I'd be happy to oblige.)

5) [Not a strict requirement, but more of a wish.] I'd like for you to make a genuine effort to use this for a significant portion of your day-to-day computing needs. Part of the reason that I'm doing this is because I'm interested in seeing for what portions of a typical user's workload Linux excels and for what portions it falls short. Obviously if you only use the machine for, say, a brief browsing stint one day of the week the experiment won't provide very much or very good data.

---

So that's the catch. You can get a T500 for dirt cheap, provided you're willing to give something new a shot.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

* If you're unsure whether or not this is an issue, just drop me a PM/e-mail and ask -- I'll do my best to provide guidance in this regard.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

xene
Freshman Member

Re: [FS] Good condition high-spec T500: $179 on one condition...

#2 Post by xene » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 pm

PM sent

NorrisCell

#3 Post by NorrisCell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 am

I like this concept. I hope that the recipient keeps in honest and goes along with everything. Any leads on which distro you'll go with?
Cell phones are my specialty. Got questions? Ask away.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 am

Whoa. I got a flood of responses to this.

For now, consider the offer concluded, as I've got more than enough qualified buyers.

I'll try to get through all of them as my day allows, and will update this thread with the buyer's username when done.

Thanks, all, for the detailed responses -- I hope to be in touch soon.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

CoolRunnings

#5 Post by CoolRunnings » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Hope it works out... I'd love to get a chance to do this!

cside

#6 Post by cside » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 am

Great idea! Hats off to you.
Home: T410s, T61, R500
Living away from home now: T42, T61

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by ThinkRob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Everyone who responded to my questions should have received a PM by now. If I missed you, please let me know ASAP.

Many thanks to all who responded. I look forward to sharing the results of the trial in a few weeks.