Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Painting over chipped paint on metal?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
jxu

Painting over chipped paint on metal?

#1 Post by jxu » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:35 pm

The paint on my P51 has started chipping and flaking around the metal borders, from what looks like normal use carrying around and putting in a laptop bag.

I wonder if anyone has had success trying to repaint the metal of any recent Thinkpad. Most posts online are about the rubber coating on the lid which has held up fine for me, or more severe problems about the X series. I have some black Krylon paint that I used for some other projects that maybe can cover up the bare metal. I'm not sure how well it'll last though.

https://i.imgur.com/nGosrlh.jpg

FORUM warning:
picture(s) WAY too big, tags removed. Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339

devinfriday
Freshman Member

Re: Painting over chipped paint on metal?

#2 Post by devinfriday » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:26 am

I don't know the material or the type of paint used on Thinkpad, but if you use enamel paint, that is stronger than acrylics but toxic, mask the plastic parts, let it dry and spray with some transparent coating you should fix it quite good. You can try also with some black marker, but coating is essential to protect it.