I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at either a T420 or T/W520, but any advice is helpful.
My immediate budget is $200. As long as I start off with something I can build and upgrade over time, I'll be a happy man.
Must have (or be able to be upgraded to):
- - 1080p (or higher) IPS display
- 8gb RAM MINIMUM
- Upgradable CPU/RAM/SSD
- Classic Thinkpad keyboard.
- Absolute compatibility with Ubuntu. (I know nearly every Thinkpad I've tried it on has been compatible, so I don't expect this to be an issue.)
- Decent GPU. I won't be gaming - EVER, but I do use GIMP a good bit. My T500 handled this pretty well, so I'm sure anything newer will do even better.
This leads me to a few questions:
- 1. Keyboards: My T500 keyboard was ok and better when replaced with a non-cheeseboard one, but my X61t was GREAT. Nice and solid. The T500 keyboard was flexy, generally noisy, and made the laptop sound hollow. Since I'd plan to upgrade everything over time, what is the most solid or "best" available? Or is that even an issue anymore?
2. Am I right in saying the main differences between the T and W series is W has more powerful CPU and graphics options and the capability to hold more RAM?
3. Is there an X series tablet in this range that offers a 1080p or higher resolution?\
4. I've seen the T430 has a modded BIOS available for a classic keyboard. Is it worth the extra money to go this route?
So much has changed since purchasing my T500 almost new. I'm just trying to sort things out. Any help is appreciated.