Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM ultranav usb keyboard with numpad SK-8835, change to ISO?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Ole
Freshman Member

IBM ultranav usb keyboard with numpad SK-8835, change to ISO?

#1 Post by Ole » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 am

So, I might be able to get hold of Ultranav USB keyboard with numpad, which I believe goes under the designation SK8835. However, it's with an US layout. Do anyone here know whether it's possible to replace the actual keyboard with a ISO layout one? I'm guessing/hoping it would be somewhat similar to how you would change the keyboard on a normal Thinkpad.

And, do anyone know if it's possible to for instance put a 6x type keyboard, with the windows button, in there?

micrex22

Re: IBM ultranav usb keyboard with numpad SK-8835, change to ISO?

#2 Post by micrex22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 pm

SK-8835 and SK-8845 assemblies can be swapped.

They are manufactured by LITE-ON and are not compatible with T6x ThinkPads--therefore it is not possible to get a Windows key. You would have to sacrifice the numpad to instead use a Lenovo one.

Now you could take a T6x ThinkPad keyboard assembly that does have both the numpad and windows keys and convert them from the proprietary ThinkPad interface to standard USB--but that requires building a special PCB with soldering on the tiny surface mount connectors and programming it all.

Ole
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Ole » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks! I can find quite a few attempts at building a USB-interface for the 6x or x20 type of keyboards, but most seem to have disappeared, or not materialized. Maybe it's something the 51nb-people could be helpful with.

On the other hand, the IBM spacesaver II looks quite tempting.

micrex22

#4 Post by micrex22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Ole wrote:Thanks! I can find quite a few attempts at building a USB-interface for the 6x or x20 type of keyboards, but most seem to have disappeared, or not materialized. Maybe it's something the 51nb-people could be helpful with.

On the other hand, the IBM spacesaver II looks quite tempting.
There was a brief run of those special PCBs to convert T6x keyboards but it was a limited run (much like the SammichSID or SammichFM). Oh well.

I have a Space Saver II (first generation, not second generation--second generation KPH0035 is uncommon).

Although I'll be honest, the "space saver" 84-key Model M is a lot better in my opinion because the key feel is way better, and I was fortunate enough to get into a limited run of Model F specific replacement assemblies making the keyboard even better. BUT of course it lacks a trackpoint (although you could hack down an M13 to 84 keys--but then you're still missing the middle trackpoint button which is pretty darn important).

So... there really is no great (commercial) solution for a mechanical keyboard w/ modern TrackPoint, it would have to be a custom build. But I'm just sort of mumbling out loud.

Ole
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Ole » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 am

Yeah, I'm guessing the market is sadly to small to warrant any large-scale commercial keyboards. I'll be keeping an eye out on ebay for that spacesaver though, and will post back here if I manage to talk to the 51nb guys about 6x to USB boards!

micrex22

#6 Post by micrex22 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

Ole wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing the market is sadly to small to warrant any large-scale commercial keyboards. I'll be keeping an eye out on ebay for that spacesaver though, and will post back here if I manage to talk to the 51nb guys about 6x to USB boards!
Actually I stand corrected, there was a 60% mechanical trackpoint-based keyboard made:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-yoda

However it looks like (we) missed the massdrop buy for it. Strangely enough lenovo in China contracted them to have a run of them for 3x the markup as well with a "ThinkPad" logo stuck on. Strange.

Well... if it ever happens again or someone lists one for sale I'll buy one.