Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
micrex22

Lenovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

#1 Post by micrex22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:49 pm

So Lenovo is at it again. I haven't really been paying attention to it, but I was starting to wonder why you no longer got extra TrackPoint caps in baggies with the purchase of a new ThinkPad. Lenovo doesn't do this anymore, but not only THAT, they've completely removed the 'soft rim' and 'classic' rubber caps / nibs / nipples whatever you want to call them--from the Lenovo Store. So you can't even buy them as a custom option.
http://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... asc&page=1

Lenovo only offers the LOW PROFILE / SUPER LOW PROFILE 'soft dome' (also called golf tee) with no other exceptions. So if you prefer the regular profile soft rim (like virtually everyone who uses a ThinkPad--and even freaking David Hill's surveys showed that) or the classic cat's tongue, scr*w you. China's Lenovo says you can't have your milk and cookies. YOU will listen to Lenovo and YOU will be satisfied with your (SUPER) LOW PROFILE and SOFT DOME TrackPoint caps. Options are dangerous.

Why does this get my goat? I was thinking about getting an X1 Carbon 5th gen (silver, when they come out) because:
A) I just want something with a trackpoint that I can use on the bus
B) Sick of dealing with the antiquated T6x batteries
C) I actually quite like the silver option
E) The redesigned TrackPoint buttons are actually quite nice... in terms of tactility.

...but I want to use my soft rims because the golf tee MAKES USING THE TRACKPOINT A LOT MORE INACCURATE. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I do NOT want to use the soft dome, I want the soft rim!

That ALSO means two things:
#1 CLASSIC 'tall' or 'normal' profile TrackPoint caps are NO LONGER officially produced by Lenovo. That means they will become a commodity item as stock dries up. Any classic ThinkPad using the older style form factor (like virtually most ThinkPads from the T42 up to the what... T420 and maybe after that) will no longer be able to get brand new TrackPoint caps.
#2 SOFT RIM and CAT'S TONGUE will eventually become extinct (although the eraser head ones are still produced by UniComp heh.)

==THE TRACKPOCALYPSE IS APPROACHING==
So what can WE do?

You can complain to Lenovo but they don't care unless it REALLY damages their profit. Which it won't. China's Lenovo will lumber on offending and reversing all IBM qualities of the ThinkPad.

It should be possible to 'cut' the base of a Soft Rim to make it fit the LOW PROFILE form factor that Lenovo introduced. To get it to fit on a SUPER LOW PROFILE you'd need one of those stem adapters (which sometimes are used in certain keyboard FRUs).

Manufacture your own... although you'd need to cast a mold and figure out the right consistency of rubber. Although because this (will) inevitably become a huge problem, it would be a fairly lucrative business. Especially since regular profile TrackPoint caps will now eventually become extinct.

In the meantime, I'm going to hoard even more soft rim trackpoint keycaps (much like how I hoarded NOS NMB T60 keyboards) to prepare for the TrackPocalypse. If I get around to doctoring a regular profile Soft Rim to fit a modern ThinkPad, I'll create a post on it.
Last edited by micrex22 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lemovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps (and only sells low profile)

#2 Post by Puppy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 pm

It is just one step before removing the trackpoint at all.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lemovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

#3 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 pm

It's easier to find genuine Soft Rims on ebay than genuine Soft Domes, and I prefer the Soft Domes. Of course, I can always buy from the imitation sellers....

micrex22

Re: Lemovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

#4 Post by micrex22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

TPFanatic wrote:It's easier to find genuine Soft Rims on ebay than genuine Soft Domes, and I prefer the Soft Domes. Of course, I can always buy from the imitation sellers....
The imitation ones don't feel the same, often don't have the brilliant red colour and yeah...

Plus that won't help the folks who prefer soft rim and cat's tongue when lenovo doesn't offer them on low profile / super low profile.

Saucey

#5 Post by Saucey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:48 pm

i would think they got rid of the track points because they are too tall for the currently confined units
Still harsh though
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

micrex22

#6 Post by micrex22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Saucey wrote:i would think they got rid of the track points because they are too tall for the currently confined units
Still harsh though
They could have easily built either in a smaller enclosure. Or heck, simply make the golf tee with an indent.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lenovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

#7 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 pm

There is the touchpad as a last resort. Just need the right hacks (see my siggy) and it works well enough with the trackpoint middle button. :jhem:

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lenovo removes 'soft rim' and 'classic' trackpoint caps and only sells low profile (TrackPocalypse)

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I have a idea. I have one of those new fancy 3D printers that would be able to print rubber. Theoretically I could get some red rubber material and print new track point heads. The machines can even vary how stiff the rubber it. I'll try ASAP.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Summilux

#9 Post by Summilux » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Lenovo and good old David Hill are at it again ! :lol:

Just one more evidence, if it wasn't obvious already, that proper laptops can only come from the community from now on : crowdsource your stuff or buy ready-made crap.
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:I have a idea. I have one of those new fancy 3D printers that would be able to print rubber. Theoretically I could get some red rubber material and print new track point heads. The machines can even vary how stiff the rubber it. I'll try ASAP.
Was about to hint at 3D printing. Kudos. It'd probably involve a number of trial and errors (esp. regarding the printing material) but eventually we'd be able to come up with a satisfying, self-made alternative.

That'd be the first step ; next to manufacture would be everything but the trackpoint :D
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

Ibthink

#10 Post by Ibthink » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 am

This decision was made a long time ago when Lenovo decided not to release Soft Rim and Classic Dome for the Low Profile TrackPoint. 2012 was the last year when ThinkPads with regular height TrackPoints were released. 5 years is the time-frame of support for ThinkPads, this support is over now, which also means replacement-parts are no longer made.
micrex22 wrote:if you prefer the regular profile soft rim (like virtually everyone who uses a ThinkPad--and even freaking David Hill's surveys showed that)
You are referring to this blog post: http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-th ... e-to-think

But you are wrong. The survey showed that the standard Soft-Dome-type is preferred by most. Soft Rim is actually the least-popular according to this survey. What did poll very strongly though was the option to have all three included - which is what Lenovo will hopefully do with the Retro ThinkPad.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Puppy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:05 am

Ibthink wrote:which is what Lenovo will hopefully do with the Retro ThinkPad.
Which would canibalize their whole "generic" ThinkPad laptop production. I still don't believe they actually want the Retro ThinkPad product.
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#12 Post by Ibthink » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 am

Companies are complex entities. There are always people with differing opinions. I think the upper management of Lenovo did not expect the strong response to the surveys and in the media, which really left them no choice but to actually pursue the project.

Summilux

#13 Post by Summilux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:22 am

Puppy wrote:Which would canibalize their whole "generic" ThinkPad laptop production. I still don't believe they actually want the Retro ThinkPad product.
You talk as though the Classic TP wouldn't be half-baked anyway :twisted:
Ibthink wrote:Companies are complex entities. There are always people with differing opinions. I think the upper management of Lenovo did not expect the strong response to the surveys and in the media, which really left them no choice but to actually pursue the project.
Really ? Dann why isn't Lenovo being transparent about the iterative process, like David Hill had promised ? Why have we gotten exactly zero news since the last survey in July 2015 - almost two years ago ?
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

Ibthink

#14 Post by Ibthink » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:51 am

I don´t know for sure. But my guess is that the Lenovo management mandated that there should be no information for the public because of Lenovos policy for upcoming products (NDA etc.).

micrex22

#15 Post by micrex22 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Ibthink wrote:
micrex22 wrote:if you prefer the regular profile soft rim (like virtually everyone who uses a ThinkPad--and even freaking David Hill's surveys showed that)
You are referring to this blog post: http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-th ... e-to-think

But you are wrong.
I am not wrong. "Rubber dome" scored 31.22% higher than any of the others.
For whatever reason David Hill used alternative names for the trackpoint caps, but "rough texture" is cat's tongue, golf tee is the standard trackpoint cap, and "rubber dome" is the soft rim. This was even explained during when the surveys were taking place with photos to each corresponding one.

And this is why David Hill said:
was surprised the golf tee cap did so poorly, even placing behind the original rough (cat tongue) texture.
Because that's the DEFAULT trackpoint cap shipped with all Lenovo thinkpads.

Do your research before you criticize people.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#16 Post by dr_st » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm

micrex22 wrote:I am not wrong. "Rubber dome" scored 31.22% higher than any of the others.
For whatever reason David Hill used alternative names for the trackpoint caps, but "rough texture" is cat's tongue, golf tee is the standard trackpoint cap, and "rubber dome" is the soft rim. This was even explained during when the surveys were taking place with photos to each corresponding one.
It appears that you are wrong on this one. The "winner" picture clearly shows the soft dome, and he even refers to it as 'current rubber dome', which implies that this is the default cap. The 'golf tee' is clearly the soft rim (if you haven't seen how a golf tee looks, search for some images).

The survey clearly must have bias to it, because a lot of the voters would just stick with the default cap which they like enough, and never bother to investigate anything.

Personally, I went from being a soft dome fan, to a soft rim fan, back to a soft dome and kind of indifferent between the two. I don't like the classic dome ('cat's tongue'), though.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#17 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:10 pm

I do not think soft rim looks like a rubber dome at all. Rather the soft dome looks like a rubber dome.

This is a golf tee and the top of it looks like the soft rim: http://img.clipartall.com/golf-ball-on- ... 2_1300.jpg

Ibthink

#18 Post by Ibthink » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Yes, golf tee = soft rim. This is what the corresponding survey looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/1WJoXIq.jpg

So Soft Dome was the preferred choice in the survey.
micrex22 wrote:Do your research before you criticize people.
I did. Also I didn´t criticize you, I only corrected you because your statement was just plain wrong.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#19 Post by Puppy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 am

Anyone experienced noticeable difference between X31 and X220 trackpoint (both Rubber Dome) feel ? The X220 seems to be more "hard" to my finger when used for similar period of time.
Huawei MateBook 13

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#20 Post by dr_st » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:31 am

Did you try swapping the caps to determine whether it's the cap or the trackpoint itself that feels different?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Utwig

#21 Post by Utwig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 am

I just panic bought 50 trackpoint caps some classic and soft rim as well.
T540p, T420s, T400, R61, X61t, T60p, T42p, A21p

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#22 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 pm

One thing I noticed is that the A31 and R50/T42 trackpoints move the mouse in circles better than my T500's.

teamde78
Freshman Member

#23 Post by teamde78 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:27 am

Pretty disheartening. The trackpoint is one of the classic Lenovo features that I enjoy using. Pretty sad to see the overall direction Lenovo is going in.
Thinkpads: X1C 5th Gen (daily Driver), T430, T60, Z61, T410

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#24 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:18 am

The next trackpoint is probobaly going have clippy pointing assistant.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.