Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New book about ThinkPads

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Ibthink

New book about ThinkPads

#1 Post by Ibthink » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:18 am

There is a new book about ThinkPads from Arimasa Naitoh, who is often called the "father of the ThinkPad" for his role in developing the first ThinkPad and subsequent models.

The book is called "How the ThinkPad Change the World - and Is Shaping the Future" and it is available at the usual places like Amazon. I have just gotten mine and although I haven´t finished it, it seems there are some valuable insights in there. Here is a picture of the contents page.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: New book about ThinkPads

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am

A butterfly in the sun. Get jammed alot

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

jwjensen356
Freshman Member

Re: New book about ThinkPads

#3 Post by jwjensen356 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:48 pm

I just finished reading the book. Very good. I had read the ThinkPad book from 1999 but that was more written about the background of the IBM PC group and the corporate and marketing strategies of developing the ThinkPad (and very little about the development of the ThinkPad). This book details the work involved to get the IBM OK and the authorization to have the Yamato Lab (IBM Japan) develop the product. More developmental detail provided. Lots of stumbling blocks along the way but with final success in having the 700C released in late 1992. Subsequent models are discussed, NASA, etc. Humorous tidbits include the panic environmental problems due to abuse by high school and college students. One point not covered is the change of the keyboard (classic to island).
The sale from IBM to Lenovo and the retention of the Yamato Lab is covered. Naitoh saves it and is quite favorable about the Lenovo deal.