Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo punished for SuperFish RootKit in USA

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Lenovo punished for SuperFish RootKit in USA

#1 Post by lophiomys » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 am

see
Attorney General Announces $3.5 Million Multi-State Settlement with Lenovo over Hacker-Vulnerable Software
http://nj.gov/oag/newsreleases17/pr20170905a.html

on Golem.de in German:
https://www.golem.de/news/adware-lenovo ... 29903.html

... One of the comments on golem.de says,
that $3.5 Million would be just "petty cash" for the marketing department,
in relation to the overall turnover achieved with the affected devices and
the fees having been paid for installing the SuperFish Adware/Malware/RootKit on Lenovo products.

So Long.
Lo PHi

PS: hopfully there will be no bad software pre-installed on the anniversary Retro Thinkpad 25?
Lophiomys
Thinkpads with 15inch 4:3 UXGA 133DPI IPS/Flexview: 2x T43p SATA Mod., 3x T42p (dying by Flexing), 2x T60p (1xATI, 1xIntel/new BoeHydis);
R51 SXGA+; X31; X41T; X41 Sata Mod; all Made in China; 570E, 701C; MBP15c3UB non-glossy mid09 / formerly 600X, 760E

Summilux

Re: Lenovo punished for SuperFish RootKit in USA

#2 Post by Summilux » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 am

Nice, and this poor sum is better than nothing. Now Lenovo needs to be punished for ruining the Thinkpads.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am

WE can punish Lenovo by no longer buying their crap until they see the light again (if ever...).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:WE can punish Lenovo by no longer buying their crap until they see the light again (if ever...).
We have one problem....businesses. They're the ones feeding the fire. Switch them to Latitudes or something and we're good.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Ibthink

#5 Post by Ibthink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am
WE can punish Lenovo by no longer buying their crap until they see the light again (if ever...).
ThinkPad fans can´t punish Lenovo (because individual Thinkpad sales are not very important) and the users of this forum (many of whom have presumably not bought a Lenovo product in a long time) can punish them the least.

Also, there is no need to punish Lenovo for Superfish, because they already learned that lesson. The publics reaction was clear and if Lenovo was caught again with something similar, their brand would be damaged further. So they stopped preloading pretty much everything and their newer preloads are very clean.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#6 Post by lophiomys » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm
Also, there is no need to punish Lenovo for Superfish,
32(!) State Attorneys in the USA saw a good reason to punisch Lenovo for Superfish and the betrayal of their customers trust:
i.e. "... allegations the technology company violated state consumer protection laws" ...
And on top of that, Lenovo preferred to pay a multi million fine with a settlement. Obviously they saw not way to get away with it.
http://nj.gov/oag/newsreleases17/pr20170905a.html
because they already learned that lesson.
I doubt it, and I will check thoroughly any future product for data securtiy!
Lophiomys
Thinkpads with 15inch 4:3 UXGA 133DPI IPS/Flexview: 2x T43p SATA Mod., 3x T42p (dying by Flexing), 2x T60p (1xATI, 1xIntel/new BoeHydis);
R51 SXGA+; X31; X41T; X41 Sata Mod; all Made in China; 570E, 701C; MBP15c3UB non-glossy mid09 / formerly 600X, 760E

Ibthink

#7 Post by Ibthink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 pm

lophiomys wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 pm
32(!) State Attorneys in the USA saw a good reason to punisch Lenovo for Superfish and the betrayal of their customers trust:
i.e. "... allegations the technology company violated state consumer protection laws" ...
And on top of that, Lenovo preferred to pay a multi million fine with a settlement. Obviously they saw not way to get away with it.
Thats not exactly true. They are not paying a fine, they are paying a settlement. Those are two different things.

Lenovo got away with a settlement because this was a first-time-offense and they have agreed to various stipulations:

"The company must also get consumers' affirmative consent before pre-installing this type of software. In addition, the company is required for 20 years to implement a comprehensive software security program for most consumer software preloaded on its laptops. The security program will also be subject to third-party audits."
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Summilux

#8 Post by Summilux » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:29 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Hear, hear. That's what I've been practicing with assiduity !
Ibthink wrote:
ThinkPad fans can´t punish Lenovo (because individual Thinkpad sales are not very important) and the users of this forum (many of whom have presumably not bought a Lenovo product in a long time) can punish them the least.
By not buying ourselves (which we indeed didn't do in a while), warning acquaintances against this failed company, and diverting the computer orders of a business towards any-manufacturer-except-Lenovo... we can still make them lose a number of sales, therefore punish them as best as we can.

Sure, that won't be nearly enough to sink the company, but it's better than nothing and is morally important.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

kony
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by kony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am

Summilux wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:29 pm
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Hear, hear. That's what I've been practicing with assiduity !
Ibthink wrote:
By not buying ourselves (which we indeed didn't do in a while), warning acquaintances against this failed company, and diverting the computer orders of a business towards any-manufacturer-except-Lenovo... we can still make them lose a number of sales, therefore punish them as best as we can.

Sure, that won't be nearly enough to sink the company, but it's better than nothing and is morally important.
So what other laptop should I buy next? I fail to see the alternative for Thinkpads. Latitudes are worse, Elitebooks are significantly worse... and what else is there? Apple? :| There's nothing else to buy if one wants a decent quality!
My T430 with GTX 560 Ti (Now with GTX 670)
T430: i5-3320m, 8 GB, SSD + HDD, 1600x900.

lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#10 Post by lophiomys » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 am

Re: what to buy?
I have tested a HP zBook and was not completely disappointed.
Also the new Gamer-Laptops a worth some testing, from the top of my head, e.g MSI and Razer Blade
My preferred method:
Use a SATA-modded T43p or a T60 Frankenpad as typing machines to control a powerful Linux server in the basement
and an Apple for the family :)
Lophiomys

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by pianowizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am

kony wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am
So what other laptop should I buy next? I fail to see the alternative for Thinkpads. Latitudes are worse, Elitebooks are significantly worse... and what else is there?
Dell Precisions.

I don't know what you are looking for, but it may be time to re-evaluate what features you really need. There may be features or even product categories that you somehow never considered. As I wrote in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=124127), I don't use traditional laptops anymore, and I came to this decision after spending several years playing with many different laptops, convertibles, detachables, tablets and phablets made by many different manufacturers.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Summilux

#12 Post by Summilux » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:23 pm

kony wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am
So what other laptop should I buy next? I fail to see the alternative for Thinkpads. Latitudes are worse, Elitebooks are significantly worse... and what else is there? Apple? :| There's nothing else to buy if one wants a decent quality!
Personally I'm starting to consider getting a 51nb mod (legacy models with brand new innards) sometime in the future.
They aren't readily available and no exempt of flaws, but hey, not even brand new TPs are flawless these days :D
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO