Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

General maintenance tips and tricks

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Quardah
Freshman Member

General maintenance tips and tricks

#1 Post by Quardah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi folks.

This thread is all about helping others about maintenance for your ThinkPads. Feel free to ask and answer questions and leave your maintenance tips and tricks.

First question i have is how do you keep a keyboard and trackpad from getting shiny? It's ABS plastic (i guess) and i really dislike that the new keyboard gets shiny really fast. Thanks!

Tips from me: Those wetnaps you get at rotisseries are very nice to clean your ThinkPad screen and outer shell.

Cheers!
Daily driver : P16s AMD Gen1 Ryzen 7 6850u Pro - Arch Linux.
HTPC : T540p 3K Screen - i7-4600M - Windows 11.
Have : X120e, X24.
Had : T420 - 240 - IBM i Series type 1171

BigT0ny

Re: General maintenance tips and tricks

#2 Post by BigT0ny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 am

Keyboard and touchpad wear just comes with use, but I'm a firm believer that washing your hands before typing helps reduce wear due to all the oils that our bodies produce - these can add to the shiny effect on keys.

Software is a big part of maintenance and whenever I setup, diagnose or update TPs I always use my trusty Zalman Virtual Drive. This is an external SATA3 HDD enclosure that allows you to setup a 2.5-inch HDD/SSD as a storage drive that can also act as a virtual ISO mount at the same time! When in Dual Mode, Windows sees the regular storage drive and also the selected ISO that you have mounted! ISOs are stored in a dedicated folder on the drive and you can mount demount them anytime. I have all of my TP recovery ISOs, drivers and Windows software/tools on a single drive, it's like a software multi-tool. You can also encrypt the drive and password protect it.
Goodbye T420 <3

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am

Laptops and Thinkpads are tools. Use it, abuse it, next. Enjoy it but don't stress over it.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Puppy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

Cigarguy wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am
Laptops and Thinkpads are tools. Use it, abuse it, next. Enjoy it but don't stress over it.
:thumbs-UP:
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Cigarguy wrote:Laptops and Thinkpads are tools. Use it, abuse it, next. Enjoy it but don't stress over it.
I mean if its a Tp700C or some insanely rare one than yes, preserve it. Otherwise, beat and repeat.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.