Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The lightest Lenovo adapter 247gr

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
alberizo

The lightest Lenovo adapter 247gr

#1 Post by alberizo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:32 am

Hi guys. Some days ago I asked about two things inside my power adapter posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=125021 because my idea was lighten weight and size for backpacking purpose.

I would like tell my experience if somebody is interested.
I had a 90w power adapter (x230) for traveling but it's very bulky and heavy 363gr adapter more 113gr of power cord, so it's 476gr. Too much for backpacking travel.
A friend told my about 65w power adapter, I was fascinated and I bought a second hand in ebay, the power adapter weight 241gr more 113gr of power cable are 354gr, it isn't bad, 122gr less than 90w adapter, but I'm obsessed about weight and I would like less weight, so I opened my power adapter, my idea was remove everything I can.
The main goal was transform it to unground power adapter. I know lot people are going to say me... what are you doing!! Are you crazy? You are going to die!! Shock shock!! Electrical shock!! Hazard!!! But that's another subject... I'm going to talk about weights.

First. Power cord is very heavy, around 25% of total, so I changed to two wire cable. Cool!! Much more smaller and only 47gr!!

Next was remove that white glue, it was very difficult because is everywhere, but with two small cutters I removed it, I won 13gr!! But I discovered that glue give it consistency to the components, so I added some hot glue between top of any components, 3gr more, but now has consistency, 10gr less and heat dissipation was improved.

Because I removed the ground cable I don't need mickey mouse connector anymore, so I removed and I won 7gr.

And because I lost ground the EMI shield it doesn't seem to have any function because was connected to ground, so I removed shield and white plastic. I won 19gr.

Finally my power adaptor is 247gr. 107gr less than 65w original and 229gr less than 90w, so I'm very happy with this mod.