Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Tightening Thinkpad Hinges?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
ThorOfAsgard
Freshman Member

Tightening Thinkpad Hinges?

#1 Post by ThorOfAsgard » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 am

Anyone found an easy way to tighten thinkpad hinges...something that doesn't involve diassembling the laptop. Seems like it might be possible to 3D print fittings that could go on the sides of each hinge that would provide extra friction. Or maybe there's some gunk one can spray in there, like "3M Canned Hinge Tightener"?

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Tightening Thinkpad Hinges?

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 am

Depends on the make and hinge design. Most of them, like the T61 for example, are virtually unserviceable. It makes sense in some ways as it helps to protect the hinges against dust and moisture but if something goes wrong then there's no repairing.

Geartooth
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Geartooth » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 am

ThorOfAsgard wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 am
Anyone found an easy way to tighten thinkpad hinges...something that doesn't involve diassembling the laptop. Seems like it might be possible to 3D print fittings that could go on the sides of each hinge that would provide extra friction. Or maybe there's some gunk one can spray in there, like "3M Canned Hinge Tightener"?
Models like the X200 can be simply tightened by two screws directly under the machine. I think. Might be Placebo.
Your local Pony.

My Collection: X60, T60, X61, X200, X200s, X220i, T420, X130e, X330, X240, XPS 9350

Sold:E6320, X1C1

Saucey

#4 Post by Saucey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Is there a laptop to where the hinges can be tightened? I know they sometimes a hinge can separate from the body over time, which will give the laptop play and close the screen. But I haven't seen a laptop to where they've had a hinge design that you can tighten the screws/thread inside the hinge to fix it.

Perhaps that sort of design had been patented long ago, and no design had be iterated afterwards due to the cost of it.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Saucey wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm
Is there a laptop to where the hinges can be tightened? I know they sometimes a hinge can separate from the body over time, which will give the laptop play and close the screen. But I haven't seen a laptop to where they've had a hinge design that you can tighten the screws/thread inside the hinge to fix it.

Perhaps that sort of design had been patented long ago, and no design had be iterated afterwards due to the cost of it.
Many cheap machine in the 90s had that design, the 600 series I think did.
Something a little like this: http://www.solderbug.com/wp-content/upl ... inge-1.jpg (Warning: Large pic)

The nut on the end could be tightened to make the hinge tighter
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.