Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad maintenance/service options.

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
kevinc
Freshman Member

ThinkPad maintenance/service options.

#1 Post by kevinc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:19 pm

I have a new gen 6 X1 Carbon and need an extended warranty. I was expecting to go with Lenovo's warranty but I've seen a lot of promotional material for Square Trade. My guess is that they just ship ThinkPads to Lenovo for repair rather than try to do anything through a 3d party. Does anyone have experience with them? How do they operate?
Anyone have experience with Lenovo's in home service option?

Thanks.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: ThinkPad maintenance/service options.

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:35 pm

For warranty, go Lenovo or go home. 3rd party warranties are total garbage and I wouldn't trust them to save my soul. Ive even had eBay listings for extremely rare vintage computers come up with the Square Trade crap. What is square trade going to do with a PDP8, go send it off to DEC to get it fixed? If they are advertising there, I can safely assure you it is a warranty that tells you taht it's your fault and runs off with your money. I've used Lenovos warranty and it works fine. Get their warranty and have it serviced correctly.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

kevinc
Freshman Member

Re: ThinkPad maintenance/service options.

#3 Post by kevinc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks. I've purchased Lenovo warranty with three prior ThinkPads and will continue to do so...