Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

it it ever cost-effective to replace a used ThinkPad's screen?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
angelofthesouth

it it ever cost-effective to replace a used ThinkPad's screen?

#1 Post by angelofthesouth » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:20 am

Due to carelessness, I am stuck with two T420s with broken screens--bought them by mistake at eBay. I thought I might buy used screens later and attach them., but now I'm thinking: would that really be cost-effective or a good use of someone's time, unless they just enjoy tinkering? The cheapest used T420 screens at eBay are between US$20 and $30. For probably $50 on a good day, I could buy an intact used T420.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: it it ever cost-effective to replace a used ThinkPad's screen?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 am

T420 is not known for even half-decent screens.
The best you could do, would be a 1600x900, but that's still mediocre.
There's a much better, IPS FHD available now: https://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtop ... 5&t=126294
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

MrBurgerKing

#3 Post by MrBurgerKing » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Whether or not it's worth it really depends on how much of an improvement there is and how much the user values it. The HD+ screen is a noticeable jump in quality, but still not the best. Since you need to replace the screens anyway, the $20 is worth it.
The IPS FHD Real pointed out is a huge jump in quality thanks to better color reproduction, brightness, contrast, viewing angles, and sharpness. But at +$60 for the controller and another +$60 for the panel, it only makes sense for enthusiasts.

GomJabbar

#4 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm

In my experience, it is somewhat easier to replace the entire display lid, rather than just the display panel itself.

Unless you are contemplating a custom upgrade, a used display lid should be a good option. I am not familiar with the details of the T420, but I do know the T42 was offered with at least a couple of display options.

Sometimes the seller of a used display doesn't really know or accurately list the display they are offering. Try to verify what you are getting with the FRU number. You can find available display FRU numbers in the downloadable Maintenance Repair Manual for the T420.
DKB

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:00 am

GomJabbar wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm
In my experience, it is somewhat easier to replace the entire display lid, rather than just the display panel itself.
This depends on the model. I've replaced screens on X32 and X220 laptops; on the X3x the LCD connector is on the motherboard, so it's easier to replace the entire lid; on the X220/X230 the connector is on the LCD panel, so replacing just the screen is easier.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

dr_st wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:00 am
GomJabbar wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm
This depends on the model. I've replaced screens on X32 and X220 laptops; on the X3x the LCD connector is on the motherboard, so it's easier to replace the entire lid; on the X220/X230 the connector is on the LCD panel, so replacing just the screen is easier.
Also depends on the way the display housing is constructed and assembled. On anything T420 or later, replacing the display itself is much easier. The bezels usually just come off with a few screws...or sometimes just glue or snaps...and 4 screws for the LCD. On ones like the T60, there were a billion screws holding the LCD together.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

TonyJZX

#7 Post by TonyJZX » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 am

Its probably not cost effective if you cant do it yourself.

Just roughly looking at prices on ebay... the screen and say labour is the same price as the t420s... but i sort of feel like you may be stuck since the 420s with broken screen is worth nothing... and the batteries arent available really.

If you intend to fix and use around the house then go for it.