Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Kryonaut is no longer my favourite Thermal Paste

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Kryonaut is no longer my favourite Thermal Paste

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 am

For quite a while I have recommended Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as THE thermal paste to use.
However, lately I am experiencing a lot of degradation on several of my laptops.
E.g. only last week did I refresh my X230's paste and temperatures were very good.
BUT only for about a few days!
My wife uses this X230 and she does a fair bit of online stuff, many of them Facebook Instantgames.
Those seem to eat up a lot of energy and cause temperatures in the 60s and 70s C.
Looking into possible causes, I discovered that the main reasons are the often uneven fitting and low mounting pressure of laptop heatsinks on the CPU.
Another cause of concern is the viscosity of the paste.
For "ill-fitting" heatsinks, such as found on many laptops, a lower viscosity paste fills up any gaps better than higher viscosity pastes, such as e.g. Thermal Grizzly's Hydronaut and Kryonaut.

Based on the above I've been hunting around for an alternative and, greatly helped by the folks on http://forum.notebookreview.com/ and https://www.hwcooling.net/, I went for Phobya NanoGrease Extreme.
Ordered it from Amazon UK, but it was shipped from a company just outside of Bordeaux/France.
Should be here in a few days.
Once I get it, I'll refresh the X230 and report back.

PS: Diving deeper into Kryonaut, it seems to lose its effectiveness once it gets to 80 C, and it won't come back when temps are lower again!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Kryonaut is no longer my favourite Thermal Paste

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:08 am

On laptop CPUs I don't use the "center dot" method, but spread the paste as much as I can.

Maybe Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut could work? It's less viscous compared to Kryonaut.

Also, is it newly-bought paste, or is it old stock? Some say pastes degrade over time, so you shouldn't hold on to them for too long-- well, that's true for the Noctua NT-H1 I had, which is now so dry it doesn't want to go out of the syringe. :lol:

Maybe I should play around by wetting it with a drop of mineral oil and using it on a spare laptop (probably the Inspiron 1525 with the bad LCD). :twisted:

That aside, keep us informed of your findings! :D
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X601 Core 2 Duo T8100
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
On loan: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Kryonaut is no longer my favourite Thermal Paste

#3 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:56 am

Interesting observation RBS. For my laptops I still use the old tried and true AS 5 or MX 4. Mainly because I have lots of these around, know what they do and are used on systems that responds well to them.

I still do a lot of tinkering and overclocking just for fun. For these I've used the more expensive and newer TIM including Kryonaut. These OCed components don't stay overclocked/stressed long enough for me to notice any long term affects. In the short term the newer super pastes do perform better thus allowing slightly higher overclocks on some though not all components.