Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Conflicted on whether to keep recently purchased T470 or not

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
tik34Load

Conflicted on whether to keep recently purchased T470 or not

#1 Post by tik34Load » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:46 am

I got this Thinkpad for $330 from a local computer store and it seemed great at first. However, I'm starting to doubt it since it appears I'm going to have to buy so many things to get it the way I want it.

Both of its batteries are bad, the included charger is a crappy no name non Lenovo branded one, there's no optical drive, the drive is too small (180GB), and it's even missing the trackpoint. Altogether, it's going to cost me $500 or more to get this thing the way I want it. Now, I guess I can accept the batteries are crap since I've never come across a used laptop with good batteries, but it's really irking me that the charger is no good since it's tough to sniff out a fake one from a real on Ebay and Amazon listings.

I can return it but the restocking fee at the store is $30.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Conflicted on whether to keep recently purchased T470 or not

#2 Post by dr_st » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:13 am

Well, other than the fact that there never is an optical drive on these systems, I can totally understand the irritation.

The question is - what computer are you looking for, and what would you get if you were to return this one? The restocking fee is a small thing compared to the cost of a new laptop, which I expect you'll want to buy.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

atagunov

Re: Conflicted on whether to keep recently purchased T470 or not

#3 Post by atagunov » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:48 am

Hmm.. I always thought Lenovo chargers are not an expensive item.. Any serious Lenovo aficionado will have accumulated some spare ones he doesn't need. If you're concerned about buying a fake one perhaps just put a WTB topic in Marketplace section of this website. It may end up a little more expensive than ebay but may give you a little more confidence. I understand you need any Lenovo charger with "slim rectangular plug".

Otherwise you can look on ebay for somebody selling a used Lenovo charger clearly from his home: you will see him taking photos on his home table or his floor with some mess around. Such a person will likely be selling some genuine item sitting in his drawer for a number of years and less likely a fake. I've got one a 65Wt (or whatever the lowest Wt they are) here in London that I don't need and that looks like a genuine item - but sending overseas, thank you but no thank you.. Please find one closer to you.. 65Wt should be pretty cheap.

Buying a new SSD after you purchased a cheapish laptop is a pretty common thing to do, especially if the one it came with is too modest for your requirements.. Think 250Gb Samsung EVO 860 isn't that expensive these days. Maybe $50-$70? If that's not enough then 500Gb? Check what amazon can offer.

Some people including myself have come to sort of like KingSener batteries from AliExpress. There is a perception that they put okay cells in. And honestly getting the rest of the battery right is not rocket science. They cost some £25-30 delivered in the UK and take less than a month to arrive, less than 3 weeks even in my experience. Not sure about your area.. But if you feel like giving them a go there are some made for T470. Please check carefully that it's got the right shape but otherwise it's a "brand" that some people buy: https://aliexpress.ru/item/32988045114.html Note: I just searched aliexpress for "KingSener T470" and clicked the first picture I found. Maybe there's a better "shop" there.

I understand the rubber on the trackpoint is missing? It's annoying but they do sell them sometimes.. Ebay or here. Hope you can find one.

So where's $500 here? I certainly do not see it. More like $100-120 :)

P.S. I think - pls. double check - you might be able to add an NVM.e to a T470. I'm assuming you currently have a 2.5" SATA drive there. Then you'd have two disks. Not sure if that would be an advantage or disadvantage. If an NVM.e does fit it would have a massive speed advantage over SATA. Well at least it'd be a faster boot time
X220, 2 *T520