Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Questions about installing larger SSD.

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
Gord K.

Questions about installing larger SSD.

#1 Post by Gord K. » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am

I recently purchased 2 refurbished T460s laptops; one to replace a G50-45 and the other to replace my beloved X31. Both T460s' came with Windows 10 on 128GB SSD's and I want to put in larger SSD's. The rationale behind the T460s versus any other T series Thinkpads is a looooonnnng story that doesn't need to be retold here but I am looking for some helpful suggestions to end up with two functional laptops. One recommendation I have received is to use SSD vendors' software ie, Samsung's software for the Samsung SSD and WD's software (Acronis TI) for the WD SSD.

T460s #1: I want to install a 250GB Samsung SSD980 and clone the 128GB SSD's Windows software. Once that is up and running I will install whatever other software and applications I need and this will be my X31 replacement machine.

1: Is Samsung's Magician Software all I need to clone the Windows installation?
2: Will I end up with an activated functioning Windows 10 installation?

T460s #2: This will be the replacement for the G50-45. I have a 500GB Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD to put in. For this machine I want to transfer programs and data that are on the G50's existing WD 500GB HDD.

3: Should I first clone the Windows installation from the 128GB SSD to the 500GB SSD and then try to copy files and programs off of the G50? or
4: Should I clone the G50's 500GB HDD onto the 500GB SSD and then install that into the T460s? If I go this route what happens to license and activation?
5: In either case, what software do you recommend?

Lots of questions, hopefully the community can give me some good suggestions and answers.

Thanks,

Gord

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Questions about installing larger SSD.

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 am

I prefer Macrium Reflect Free over Samsung Magician. The Magician software failed me when I tried to clone a 500GB HDD to a 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

You need to be able to connect both SSDs to the T460s at the same time in order to clone. If both SSDs are M.2 2280 then you may need to get the appropriate USB M.2 enclosure-- AFAIK the T460s only has 1 M.2 2280 slot.

Don't worry about activation since you're cloning the contents of the original drive.

Regarding #2, I recommend a fresh install rather than cloning, since the license and product keys of the G50-45 and T460s are different.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

atagunov

#3 Post by atagunov » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 am

Last time I needed a W10 license I found that I can purchase it rather cheaply on ebay. I'm using it with a W10 install running in a virtual machine and have had no trouble over last half-year or so. I think a fresh Windows installation is not a bad thing to do in any case, so I suggest you consider this option.

I'm not a big expert on Windows licenses but isn't there a Windows license key "built-in" into BIOS on T460s? Did they come with W10 from factory? If they did it's quite likely they may have the key and Windows will automatically pick it up and activate without you taking any action. And you have the ebay option as your backup.
Gord K. wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am
The rationale behind the T460s versus any other T series Thinkpads is a looooonnnng story that doesn't need to be retold here
He he, somehow I feel I - or perhaps even some other forum members - might actually enjoy it :) Please feel free to tell the story once you find yourself with some spare time to keep pressing on the keyboard..
X220, 2 *T520

Gord K.

#4 Post by Gord K. » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:07 pm

I am typing this on the T460s that is the replacement for my X31 and my wife is checking out the T460s that is the replacement for the G50-45. Both have had the 128GB SSD's replaced with 500GB SSD's, but it wasn't easy!

I went to the computer store with the information Device Manager gave me about the 128GB SSD and told the young man I wanted a 250GB and a 500GB to upgrade the two laptops. I came home with a 250 GB Samsung 980 and a 500GB Western Digital SN550. I spent much of an afternoon and evening trying to use Samsung Magician, Acronis True Image and/or Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD's with the new ones in a SSD enclosure. None of those programs recognized either SSD. Windows Disk Management saw the drives but wouldn't let me initialize them. The next morning I phoned the store and explained what was happening and the guy I spoke to looked up my bill and said they sold me the wrong type of SSD. I didn't know that M.2 PCIe NMVe and M.2 SATA were different beasts.... I do now!

Fortunately the store I am dealing with is VERY good about returns and exchanges and I was able to exchange the two SSD's (and a wee bit more $) for 2 500 GB WD Blue SSD's. I used Acronis True Image for WD and both T460s are up and running with the new SSD's. The process is actually quite easy when you have the right stuff.

@axur-delmeria - Thank you. I was pretty sure there was only one drive slot - I did A LOT of research before buying these two laptops - so I knew I would need an enclosure and had already purchased one. Love Amazon Prime. And you were absolutely correct about activation.

@atagunov - As you (and axur) indicated, the license is built in. I didn't have to do anything to activate either machine.

Now comes the process of installing or transferring files and stuff.

I truly appreciate the helpful people in this community, I have always been able to get my questions answered. I started with a T21 which was replaced by two X31's and then a T40. The G50 was a mistake. When I knew I needed to replace my X31 there was no question I would look at T series Thinkpads, the tough part was deciding which one. And that, as I said in my first post, is a story for another day.

Gord