Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[Need Advice] I'm X220 user, and Thinking for 5 more years... what should I change to

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
benlimanto
Freshman Member

[Need Advice] I'm X220 user, and Thinking for 5 more years... what should I change to

#1 Post by benlimanto » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 am

Hello, I'm a proud X220 user, but seems 5 more year, my X220 with i7-2640m won't hold for work anymore. I can't left 7 row keyboard, and I don't see any other option other than xyte/xueyao X2100, but the price tag is quite darn high for me. Is there any laptop that has 7 row keyboard and simple replacement/repairability like X220 ?

Thank you!
X220 with Win 10 21H2 Fedora 38 XFCE 4.18 (official spins)
i7-2640m, disabled Hyper Thread, Temp Drop on average 10*C, all core activated, need KVM for Windows
12gb RAM (enough for now, DDR3L)
480 Kingston Fake SSD
64gb Samsung SD Card
Recently rolled back to Windows 7 from Win 10 21H2. Sad

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: [Need Advice] I'm X220 user, and Thinking for 5 more years... what should I change to

#2 Post by dr_st » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:13 am

You could apply a 7-row keyboard mod on a **30 series laptop, but that only takes you one generation ahead.

A T530/W530/modded T430 with a quad-core CPU will be much more powerful than your X220. But, bigger and heavier too. And the X230 cannot be thus modded.

There is also a Thinkpad 25th Anniversary Edition, with a dual core 7th gen CPU, or a custom modded T480 with 7-row keyboard from Thinkpad 25, but these will probably cost as much as the X2100, if not more.

So, no simple answers.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

mikemex

Re: [Need Advice] I'm X220 user, and Thinking for 5 more years... what should I change to

#3 Post by mikemex » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 am

There are no alternatives at this point. Modern machines simply are designed with a different set of priorities and, to lesser extent, with a different target audience in mind.

Personally, I just gave up and I switched to more recent models. You don't get the old benefits but you get new benefits. It's not like a total loss.

I recently swapped the motherboard between a couple of X1C5s and I can tell you straight: it was easier than servicing an X220. The antennas are on the base and not the lid, so it's not difficult to replace the display assembly at all. The fan is easily accessible by undoing the bottom cover, unlike the X220 where you needed to take the whole laptop apart. The battery is not modular but it takes like 5 minutes to replace (this particular generation even has old style, sliding battery connections, which I love).
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:52 am

mikemex wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 am
I recently swapped the motherboard between a couple of X1C5s and I can tell you straight: it was easier than servicing an X220.
I've been saying this for some time. Modern Thinkpads (and other laptops as well) take a different path compared to older ones - no longer do you have a bunch of trivial-to-replace CRUs, and almost anything requires you to take the bottom cover off. BUT... once you do that (which is usually just a handful of screws), suddenly a whole lot of stuff is serviceable with relative ease, as opposed to older machines, where you have to disassemble a bunch of covers, small plastics and connectors, and do it in a very particular order.

So there are tradeoffs. Some parts are easier to service on the newer models, some harder. The trickiest part, I think, is not breaking any of the little plastic clips connecting the bottom cover to the chassis. On some models it's quite hard to do, on others not so much.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

mikemex

#5 Post by mikemex » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:50 am

Despite my comments, I'm not recommending anyone to switch from a classic Thinkpad to a newer model. I still think classic Thinkpads are superior in most ways that matter compared to currently shipping devices. It's just that they've frozen in time and competing with what's available now with 10 year old technology simply makes no sense.

Since you're an administrator around here dr_st, I'm sure you have noticed by now that the traffic on this site is scarce this days. This means that, although Thinkpads still sell well, they've lost their cult status. Lenovo insistence in mindless experimentation has left the brand with no real identity and they have just become well built but generic machines (say, there isn't going to be a mechanical dock in this generation). Only the Trackpoint saves a Thinkpad now and, despite that, Lenovo is still trying to kill it (the recently launched Z series lost the physical buttons AGAIN; seems like Lenovo learned nothing after the Xx40 fiasco).

It was the small touches what made Thinkpads great. For example, Bluetooth may have become standard now that most manufacturers bundle it with WIFI adapters, but for a while only Thinkpads had it. And the way IBM / Lenovo implemented it (via BDC USB modules) allowed users to upgrade an old device to the latest specification (say, an X301 from 2.0 to 4.0).

Now compare that with Lenovo's decision to strip Thinkpads from color coded light indicators. For sound, orange meant that a function was blocked (speaker and microphone). On the other hand, the Fn Link and power indicators were green because it simply indicated that it was active. What purpose does it serve to turn all of them into white, other than pure cosmetics? Since when the Thinkpad brand was more about cosmetic appeal, than functionality?

Every new generation we, as users, have to make new concessions just to get contemporary technology. First we lost the industry standard keyboard (the shape of the keys and their layout is, paradoxically, not Thinkpad specific, but simply taken from a desktop keyboard). With that we lost the dedicated keys to usual functions like volume. Then we lost keystroke travel depth. We have been steadily losing ergonomy when it comes to the Trackpoint buttons (first they became straight, then they became flat and separated by the chassis). We lost most of the light indicators. We lost the modularity with the CPU. Then we lost the modularity with the RAM. Now we're losing the modularity with the wireless cards. I don't think they will ever solder SSDs because most corporate users would never accept being unable to keep their drives when they get rid of their devices, but Lenovo would surely attempt that otherwise. We lost the durable cylindral cell battery option. We lost the physical latches. We lost replaceable charging ports. We lost the Thinklight...

I can only lament that this brand fell into the hands of Lenovo because it has done nothing but to try to kill its spirit. Myself, I'm no longer loyal to this brand; I'm just loyal to my pointing device of choice, which is the Trackpoint. Only with a Thinkpad I can get a Trackpoint now, so I keep getting them. But I can tell you: if another manufacturer ever adopts a functional Trackpoint (I looked into Dynabook / Toshiba but they still ship nipples with only two buttons), I'll switch and never look back.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 am

mikemex wrote:I'm sure you have noticed by now that the traffic on this site is scarce this days. This means that, although Thinkpads still sell well, they've lost their cult status.
Pity about the lowered traffic...

In my working days I always had company-supplied hardware (mainframe and/or PC, no laptops).
As a pensioner all I care for nowadays is a laptop with a decent screen and a usable keyboard for basics, such as forum-postings and emails.
I have not used my home tower in about a year, still planning/waiting to transfer its data onto my micro-desktop M900 and then flog the desktop.
I'm not missing a 7th keyboard row.
I don't use trackpad and trackpoint any longer, a nice Logitech M330 Silent Pro mouse works great for me.
I still only have Lenovo laptops in the house, but if I ever need another one, I'm not sure it will be the same brand.
Anything newer than W7 is of no interest to me whatsoever, occasionally I dabble in Linux Mint.
My daughter's (company-issued) 2021 Macbook Pro looks rather nice, I must say.
Altogether this more or less means that Lenovo is well on its way to become a LeNONO for me.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

benlimanto
Freshman Member

#7 Post by benlimanto » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 am

mikemex wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 am
There are no alternatives at this point. Modern machines simply are designed with a different set of priorities and, to lesser extent, with a different target audience in mind.

Personally, I just gave up and I switched to more recent models. You don't get the old benefits but you get new benefits. It's not like a total loss.

I recently swapped the motherboard between a couple of X1C5s and I can tell you straight: it was easier than servicing an X220. The antennas are on the base and not the lid, so it's not difficult to replace the display assembly at all. The fan is easily accessible by undoing the bottom cover, unlike the X220 where you needed to take the whole laptop apart. The battery is not modular but it takes like 5 minutes to replace (this particular generation even has old style, sliding battery connections, which I love).
I see, I think I will reconsider this, and took one in my mind, as I need one in the future, probably. But I think I will kept buying 2nd hand laptop, as it's cheap and workable. Thanks!

also Thanks to everyone.. I still love 7 row keyboard.. I don't know, probably I'm dumb? or I just love it unconditionally ? haha...
i7-2640m, disabled Hyper Thread, Temp Drop on average 10*C, all core activated, need KVM for Windows
480 Kingston Fake SSD
64gb Samsung SD Card

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:06 pm

benlimanto wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 am
also Thanks to everyone.. I still love 7 row keyboard.. I don't know, probably I'm dumb? or I just love it unconditionally ? haha...
You're not dumb, maybe just stubborn. I'm just like you. :lol:

The 7-row layout, with the extra keys does allow for a bit more productivity, and more natural transition between laptop and desktop keyboards.

Is it super-critical, like a night and day thing? Does the lack of it make the machine completely unworkable? No, of course not. But neither is 16:9 screens vs 16:10, and people go through never-ending opinion wars on that one (and earlier 16:10 vs 4:3).

Whereas screen ratio is driven by panel availability which is dictated by a handful of large suppliers and their largest-scale customers (think Apple), keyboards are designed in-house, and all aspects are completely in the hand of the OEM (Lenovo, HP, DELL...)

As weak as the argument in favor of the 7-row layout seems to people who don't care about that particular aspect, the counter-arguments, as to why it should not be offered, I find even less convincing. It does not have to be an "either/or" situation with a single layout across all models, even if corporate suits think it makes sense. Laptops differ in so many various components, what's another one? At least in Lenovo's case, the technology is there, the effort is comparatively small, and there are enough geeks who would be willing to pay premium (to an extent) for this, that there is absolutely zero risk in it.

It is just corporate laziness and inertia that prevents such simple projects from being undertaken.

mikemex

#9 Post by mikemex » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:09 am

Given the amount of people who complains about Lenovo not sticking true to the Thinkpad brand spirit, I'm surprised they haven't decided to open up a new line to satisfy the retro folks (could be the old R line, but now for 'retro'). As one the the largest manufacturers in the world, it has really deep pockets to support a zillion models spread across many product lines (IdeaPad, Yoga, ThinkBook, Legion and Thinkpad), so obviously money is not an issue.

My only explanation is that they don't want laptops to be as durable as before. And when I say 'durable' I don't mean that they want them to fail; I just mean that users can't extend their useful life well beyond the manufacturer wishes. I'm sure they are well aware of the amount of people still using the T420/T430 era machines, and how, with simple upgrades, they remain competitive despite being 10 generations old. So they don't necessarily want their laptops to wear out, they just don't want old / second hand stuff becoming a serious competition for new sales.

And if you think about it, they are not really that off. Just see how many folks around here get their machines new from Lenovo.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:14 am

My only explanation is that they don't want laptops to be as durable as before.
Ah, the usual planned obsolescence. :x
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

wolfman

#11 Post by wolfman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:40 am

Having just spent a month (or more) digging through the current Thinkpad lineup, and some of the models being released this month, you have to make choices... Particularly if you are looking for something in the 14 inch form factor. You can get great build quality and upgrade options in the larger P15, T15g (up to 4 RAM slots, multiple M.2 drive bays, etc.). But that comes with a much higher cost. On the 14 inch end, the L14 has the best options for upgrade, but the case material could be better (as well as the speakers and screen options). So you have to trade off some of those things if you value flexibility for upgrades. Or you can trade off upgrade options in exchange for exactly what you want now - by locking into the planned obsolescence path... it's hard to have your cake and eat it too with new Thinkpads sad to say...

I decided the most important options to me were: 1) Processor of choice 2) RAM upgrade options 3) Screen flexibility (e.g. ability to easily install a replacement if I didn't like the one the model came with) 4) General upgrade options (like wifi card, keyboard, mechanical dock support, etc.). The things, based on my use, I could give on were: 1) Case materials 2) Audio 3) Initial display quality. If you prioritize what you favor, over what you can give on, it might help you land on a best fit option for you.

Steve
Thinkpad L14 gen 2 | AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u | 64gb RAM | 1tb SK Hynix P31 Gold | Intel AX210
Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950x | 64gb RAM | 512gb Samsung 970 Pro + 1tb Crucial SSD | Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | Dell S2721DGF
Previous Thinkpads: A21m, R40, X61, T410, T420, W520

benlimanto
Freshman Member

#12 Post by benlimanto » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:47 pm

mikemex wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:50 am

Since you're an administrator around here dr_st, I'm sure you have noticed by now that the traffic on this site is scarce this days. This means that, although Thinkpads still sell well, they've lost their cult status.
I think most of people are active in reddit r/thinkpad and in my regional country forum using https://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/58bfc3d ... part-3/259

It really come to more regional or big site... I really miss old day when I found wesbite fun, and real talk happen like in this forum...
480 Kingston Fake SSD
64gb Samsung SD Card

sunder

#13 Post by sunder » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:03 pm

I've also been stubborn about sticking to older thinkpads, but I got really tired of pretending that I could use these old laptops for the rest of my life and bought a cheap and beat up t480 to try and replace my t440p/x230. I have to say that I feel kinda conflicted about it. I do like the obvious things like modern performance, display and power management, but the overall feel of this is just worse compared even to the t440p that was already a downgrade from the classic models. Keyboard is mushier, trackpoint buttons are bad, the plastics feel more brittle etc.
The lack of a dedicated charging port that isn't soldered to the mb is also one thing that really bugs me about t480 and newer models but I thought that I had to give in eventually since having just a single usb-c port on every device seems to be the way we are heading right now. I just can't help but feel like this would not survive the old "kick the power cord and drop the machine on the floor" trick that I've executed on some of my older machines before.

I'm kinda on the same boat with mikemex about the trackpoint. Right now, the trackpoint is the biggest reason for me to stick to these modern thinkpads and I really wouldn't mind at least trying some other brand that got it right. Models like the Z13 really makes it feel like Lenovo really just hates everything that I like about these things.

Also, hello! I've been lurking here occasionally for years but posting for the first time.
T480, T440p, T420, T400, T61, T60, T42, T41, T40, T30, T21
X230, X201, X200, X61s, X30, X20
R51, A21m, 600x

mikemex

#14 Post by mikemex » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm

benlimanto wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:47 pm
I think most of people are active in reddit r/thinkpad
Which I don't recommend anyone (I lasted a week before getting permanently banned). I can't believe the level of intolerance and Orwellian surveillance in some sites. But that's a theme for another topic.
sunder wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:03 pm
I've also been stubborn about sticking to older thinkpads, but I got really tired of pretending that I could use these old laptops for the rest of my life and bought a cheap and beat up t480 to try and replace my t440p/x230. I have to say that I feel kinda conflicted about it. I do like the obvious things like modern performance, display and power management, but the overall feel of this is just worse compared even to the t440p that was already a downgrade from the classic models. Keyboard is mushier, trackpoint buttons are bad, the plastics feel more brittle etc.
The vanilla T series have always been made of plastic and you can only expect flimsiness and mushy feeling going down in weight. The truly quality models like X1 Carbon aren't that bad.
sunder wrote:
The lack of a dedicated charging port that isn't soldered to the mb is also one thing that really bugs me about t480 and newer models but I thought that I had to give in eventually since having just a single usb-c port on every device seems to be the way we are heading right now. I just can't help but feel like this would not survive the old "kick the power cord and drop the machine on the floor" trick that I've executed on some of my older machines before.
I keep saying that: you don't even need to choose. Laptops could have both options (regular barrel for general use and USB-C for emergencies).
sunder wrote:
I'm kinda on the same boat with mikemex about the trackpoint. Right now, the trackpoint is the biggest reason for me to stick to these modern thinkpads and I really wouldn't mind at least trying some other brand that got it right. Models like the Z13 really makes it feel like Lenovo really just hates everything that I like about these things.
I wouldn't be surprised if executives at Lenovo are issued Macs for work...
sunder wrote:
Also, hello! I've been lurking here occasionally for years but posting for the first time.
Hi, it's nice to have you here. Glad you decided to emerge from the shadows...

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by dr_st » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:06 am

mikemex wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm
I keep saying that: you don't even need to choose. Laptops could have both options (regular barrel for general use and USB-C for emergencies).
That's exactly what I like about T470/T570/TP25. And of course they can also charge through the docking port.

benlimanto
Freshman Member

#16 Post by benlimanto » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:08 pm

mikemex wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm

Which I don't recommend anyone (I lasted a week before getting permanently banned). I can't believe the level of intolerance and Orwellian surveillance in some sites. But that's a theme for another topic.
Well here we are at thinkpads.com forum, I think it's better here than reddit when I want to ask specific opinion without troll. Thanks to the administrator who put this site as last bastion for old and new thinkpad user.

So back to topic, in short my question answer should be either I jump to chicklet keyboard and deal with it, or I kept using my X220 in the end, or xyte.ch X2100 laptop, well.. seems the cheapest one is kept using X220 or jump to X250, well.. I will think of it. Thanks for all opinion!
480 Kingston Fake SSD
64gb Samsung SD Card