Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New Lenovo Support Site

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
GomJabbar

New Lenovo Support Site

#1 Post by GomJabbar » Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 am

http://support.lenovo.com/

There goes my bookmarks! Arghhh! :(
EDIT: Well maybe not. Now they are working. They weren't earlier this morning.

Here is the announcement at Lenovo Forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/New-e-suppo ... d-p/446619
DKB

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: New Lenovo Support Site

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 am

What I've seen so far is a lot worse in looks, and slower than the 'good old IBM' site. :(
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Sandstorm83
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Sandstorm83 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:42 pm

It looks and feels terrible! Way too many "clicks" just to get to the driver download page. I'll stick to using their driver matrix page for as long as it is still up;

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... ATRIX.html
T61 -- T7300 4GB W7Px64
X200 - P8600 4GB W7Px64

automobus

#4 Post by automobus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 pm

There are four exclamation marks in the intro area. Bad: exclamation marks on support pages should mark importance, like product recalls or instruction warnings.

"Quick Path" is no longer quick. On the old site, it was a form field, static; now the form is drawn with browser scripting. Further bad: it requires browser scripting, rather than a highly-accessible implementation that draws the field by default, and in a scripting-enabled browser, it would be hidden until activated.

goofyGAguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by goofyGAguy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm

This thing is a disaster.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by ThinkRob » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Welcome to the wild world of "enterprise" web design, where it's not considered ready unless it was designed in hour-long chunks in weekly meetings by a committee with one designer and twenty PMs.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 pm

goofyGAguy wrote:
This thing is a disaster.
+ 1 and then some... :banghead:
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

automobus

#8 Post by automobus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 am

It seems that accessories are not accessible by drill-down category selection. And, some pages are not indexed, and so cannot be found with a search. And, some documents that used to be English are no longer! See what I mean:
Old page, English. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 41020.html
New page, Asian. http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... MIGR-41020

goofyGAguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by goofyGAguy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 am

Weird. Firefox just shows the contents of that new page as a bunch of little boxes with numbers in them.

dorronto

#10 Post by dorronto » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 am

I agree. Not user friendly at all. Too many clicks, though the end result (once you can make it through all the obstacles) with all downloads going in one basket and downloaded can work out. Maybe... :??:

Ron
IBM Lenovo X1 Carbon (1st) / T61 / iPad Pro 12.9 (2015) / iPad 10.5 (2017) / iPad Mini 4.

rleo25

#11 Post by rleo25 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 pm

One of the worst web design pages I have ever seen, bad taste and functonality. C´mon Lenovo it is time to make a superfast change, this is deteriorating the brand image you have built until now!

(I wonder if some Lenovo´s officials read this page Bill?) :roll:

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by bill bolton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:19 pm

rleo25 wrote:One of the worst web design pages I have ever seen
Your exposure to the web site designs must be quite limited then! There are huge numbers of web sites where the designs are far, far worse :idea:

Cheers,

Bill B.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#13 Post by ThinkRob » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:24 pm

bill bolton wrote: Your exposure to the web site designs must be quite limited then! There are huge numbers of web sites where the designs are far, far worse :idea:
I agree. It's pretty bad, true, but it's about par for the course compared to countless other corporate re-designs. It's basically exactly what I'd expect from a large company with a design-by-committee process trying to make a "hip" new site.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

Mark@Lenovo
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

#14 Post by Mark@Lenovo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

ThinkRob, et all,

The point of the site wasn't to be "hip", but rather to take a strategic step onto a new infrastructure.
I blogged about it on the 31st here, hoping people would understand the change in context. http://www.lenovoblogs.com/connections/ ... te-debuts/

We had 5 sites on 4 infrastructures and needed to get to one so we could do a better job in the long run. This first release was intended to migrate all our data over and deliver parallel or better functionality.

Its been a month and we are still working out the kinks, many of which developed in the course of migrating data. The design wasn't a committee effort, rather, it was driven based on user centered design principles and some focus groups. I see a lot of post broadly criticizing the "design", but I think people may mean that it isn't letting them accomplish their goal. Design & navigation are a part of that, but so is missing content, duplicate content, naming of files, categories on the drivers page, browser compatibility issues , etc, etc. We've solved some of these completely and are working hard to address the others.

Not making excuses - this all has to work for you and we know it. But as we are listening, it would be helpful if people would be clear when they offer constructive criticism about design rather than just criticism. Be specific.

Design / Appearance

You don't like the colors? (greys too light, not enough contrast? Hate red?)
The fonts? (too small, don't show up? Inconsistent? )
The layout? (it's the same general, multi-panel layout as the center section of the old one)
The left nav options vs similar options in a bar across the screen (redundant? confusing?)
What exactly about the design is a problem? To me, the old site was eclectic in terms of graphics and colors and at least we are now more consistent. To me, the new site looks more professional.

Functionality

Do the links on the home page make sense? Do they reflect the most frequent tasks for users? Check warranty, upgrade warranty, links to training video, links to other resources, driver matricies (restored based on everyone's feedback), parts, tips, etc?

Browse - We wanted to provide a navigation to specific system for users who didn't know what a MTM was. Yes, it is too many clicks for the andvanced user, which is why we also offer quick path. For me, browse is still a lot of clicks with less than desired benefit of showing only the relevant information - more clean up there yet to do to make this deliver on the expectation all the time.

Quick Path - this should work better than the old site. You can now say 2007 or T60 or Thinkpad T60 and it can deal with all 3. The old site dealt with the model type. We've had some issues with quick path - some models missing, ones that started with zero (now fixed), and less than helpful message that just said "not found" if you entered a 7 digit type that it didn't get a hit on. We are working to improve that with messages that offer suggestions and coaching (try just the first 4 digits, etc).

Let me close with a last question. Probably the two things we've heard the most - 1) Bring back driver matrix and 2) Provide a way to have a bookmark URL that can be shared, posted, emailed, etc once you navigate to a specific driver.

While we've brought back a first pass at the driver matrix already, let me ask you to prioritiize these two items. Which is more important to you, as a user of the site. The driver matrix function or the ability to bookmark drivers (not just have dynamic URL) and why?

Thanks for the discussion so far! Looking forward to your replies.

Mark

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#15 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Mark,

Given the Sophie's choice of bookmarking individual drivers or having the entire matrix function, I'd go with the drivers, but that's me.

Reason being that several different machines likely use the same wireless/BT/graphics driver and what not, while a model-specific matrix can only be utilized for the given palette of units.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

automobus

#16 Post by automobus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 am

Make the site fully workable without browser scripting, please. That includes a quickly-available quick-path field, like the old site had on the right. I hate how the new site needs a click first, just to make the quick-path field appear.
I see that the page I linked to earlier, with the wrong language, has been fixed. Thanks. Please continue making an acessible, useable, "no B.S." support site.

thinkpadt510

#17 Post by thinkpadt510 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 am

Warranty upgrade not working on UK version.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#18 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:55 am

Well... perhaps I was a bit harsh.

My comments were based on the combination of the introduction of a more contemporary look and the (apparent) loss of functionality. I did leap to conclusions regarding the development process and rationale though, and for that I was wrong. I do appreciate the business requirements that you described in your posts, and considering the complexity of something like this I think you've done better than many.

One thing that does irk me is the fact that the site is mostly non-functional with Javascript disabled. I can understand things like model autodetection and fancy animations not working without scripting, but things as simple as navigation links absolutely shouldn't require Javascript to work. I'm also not a fan of the lightbox effect for product selection, but perhaps some are...

All that aside, it is commendable that Lenovo not only listens to customer feedback, but also sends Mark out to navigate the sometimes-hostile waters of enthusiast forums... :D

ZaZ

#19 Post by ZaZ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:12 pm

automobus wrote:Make the site fully workable without browser scripting, please. That includes a quickly-available quick-path field, like the old site had on the right. I hate how the new site needs a click first, just to make the quick-path field appear.
I'd agree. I did notice they seem to at least now have an easy link to the drive matrix. One thing I dislike is every time I go there I get asked to do a survey. Lenovo is certainly not the only one doing this, but I wish there was an easy opt out for all of them.
ProBook 470 G5

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#20 Post by rkawakami » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 am

Since I have a bunch of links that are pointing to the ibm.com domain that are now dead (well, redirecting to support.lenovo.com), I just found a little trick that might help:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98364
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#21 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 pm

And for all (US) users who want the Driver Matrix, here it is:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... PAD-MATRIX
Bookmark it!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

rleo25

#22 Post by rleo25 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks realblackstuff your link will be my support home page !

laboye
Freshman Member

#23 Post by laboye » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:57 pm

I actually have a request regarding the handling of Quick Path entries. I noticed that the site no longer accepts the original URL-based entry. It also looks like this is all now handled with Javascript.

If possible could you integrate this functionality? Here is an example of how the original site worked:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... ry=945035U

Using this, one can use it like a standard search engine with most browsers. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this with the current design.

Also, will there be permanent redirection from old URLs? If not, will the search engine results be updated? I recently discovered that the search result for the terms "Z61m HMM" yielded this link:

www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-64204.html

Currently, it just redirects to the Lenovo Support page, requiring an additional 4 clicks to access the document.

Let us know how all this stuff works out!
Personal: T42 2373-K3U (General Purpose);X21 2662-6MU with 2361 dock (Media Handler);Transnote 2675-21U (Um...Transnote!)
Past Personal and Serviced: 240, 570, 600E, A20m, T20, T21, 3x T30, 12xT4x, T43p (I miss it! :(), X20, X24
Current Workbench: X40, 2xX41, 2xT40, 3xT42, 5xiSeries,9x600/E/X

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by rkawakami » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:20 am

I've been trying for the past week or so to figure out a URL-based method of entering the model type number (a la, Quick Path) but still don't have anything. I too used to change the end of the "quickPathEntry=" field to easily get to the model I wanted. There's not much I can do to change how Lenovo is running their web site but I'll still try to hack out a solution to this issue.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

GomJabbar

#25 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:46 am

laboye wrote:...this is all now handled with Javascript.
The tool of the Devil I say! :help:
DKB

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#26 Post by ThinkRob » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 am

GomJabbar wrote: The tool of the Devil I say! :help:
Remember the days when the only thing you'd need to, say, link to another page would be an <a> tag? Or when you could write a form that could be POSTed without JS?

Sigh. I kinda miss those days. On the other hand, I also like the new, square, Wheel 2.0. ;)

automobus

#27 Post by automobus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:05 pm

After just longer than a year in exile, Quick Path is back. Everyone rejoice!
  • Quick Path is on the support home page on load.
  • It is "below the fold" (not ideal) and uses browser scripting instead of a static HTML form (bad).
  • But the really good news is, we can GET results once again.
The new Quick Path Query URL is:

Code: Select all

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?qpq=MODEL-TYPE

Lenovo: are you done playing around? I use support Web site every month or so, and something (style or functionality) seems to change between each visit. Your current site style reminds me of Wired Magazine. What next, will you decorate for Halloween? I prefer the plain old style, but whatever, the style is not very important. You still have work to do: make the quick path form field submit without browser scripting.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#28 Post by ThinkRob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

automobus wrote:You still have work to do: make the quick path form field submit without browser scripting.
The amazing part about this is that doing all this nonsense via JS is actually *more* work than just using a proper HTML form.

I've never understood why people do this; they spend all of this effort to-reinvent things that have worked for literally over a decade, only to fight bug after bug and to still completely fall over on anything that doesn't run scripts. One step forward, 2.0 steps back...

automobus

#29 Post by automobus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:43 pm

They've broken it again, and the site is a bigger eyesore than ever. About a year ago, Dell trashed their age-old good support site, took-down countless documents, just like Lenovo. HP's Web world was always messy. I am sick of this.
(Needless to say: in my opinion.)

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#30 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:27 am

automobus wrote:They've broken it again, and the site is a bigger eyesore than ever. About a year ago, Dell trashed their age-old good support site, took-down countless documents, just like Lenovo. HP's Web world was always messy. I am sick of this.
(Needless to say: in my opinion.)
I hear yay. Lenovo and IBM before that used to be the best. The ability to look up machine specs base on the 7 digit machine type was extremely helpful.