1. In all situations, whether explicitly outlined in the Rules or not, the Moderator's judgement prevails.
2. The primary purpose of this Forum is to act as an educational forum for the exchange of information for all things Thinkpad. All are encouraged to participate in this information exchange in the spirit of openness and fun. Keeping this place a comfortable and enjoyable place on the Internet to spend your time is strongly encouraged. Emotional outbursts and personal attacks are not.
3. Do not post links, model availability, or pricing information from sites that restrict their purchasing to specific narrow groups (e.g. EPP [employee purchase] or specific Education sites). The members of these institutions can find their information through their employer or organization. Posting the links or information without prior permission from Lenovo/IBM is of questionable legality. Those that are entitled to these discounts have no problem finding the site directly from Lenovo/IBM, their employee friend, or their school bookstore.
4. Don't ask how to get an EPP (Employee Purchase) or Educational Discount. If you are a member of one of these groups, ask them: they will know better. Questions about the Thinkpad are welcome. Questions about the the specific purchasing program itself should be directed toward your qualifying organization. There are so many special deals available to all on new thinkpads EPP, Educational and the like pricing is nearly meaningless. Lenovo, Ecoupons and LogicBuy all offer some amazing price discounts.
5. PICTURES. IF needed, you may add one or more photographs to your post. Please make sure that the total size of pictures in your post (thumbnails or full size) does not exceed 250KB.
If you wish to use more / larger pictures, you MUST place a warning in the Subject: line (e.g., *WARNING: PICS*).
It would also be greatly appreciated if you can keep the pixel dimensions to something around 800x600, to avoid page stretching / distortions for users browsing the forum on lower resolutions. If needed, please use a thumbnail / smaller picture linking to a larger version. Many image hosting services will automatically generate thumbnails / smaller versions for every picture you upload; make good use of this feature!
Any picture(s) violating the above guidelines may be changed to link(s) / removed by an Administrator/Moderator (without warning).
Important: ONLY in this: Pictures of your ThinkPad & desk setup Forum are you allowed to use more, and larger, pictures.
6. ATTRIBUTIONS: Portions of these rules were given to us to use by ArsTechnica (http://www.arstechnica.com) and other portions were done by Leon, rkawakami, billmorrow, nonny - JaneL and other members of this forum.
screw-up here and you COULD be banned..
1. The Registration Agreement Terms must be respected in full. If you need to refresh your memory, you can see the agreement here:
2. No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people riled up. Substance is a key to not being labeled a troll, but substance alone cannot prevent you from being considered a troll. Substance with a dash of personal attacks will get you labeled as a troll.By accessing “forum.thinkpads.com” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “forum.thinkpads.com”, “http://forum.thinkpads.com”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “forum.thinkpads.com”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “forum.thinkpads.com” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.
Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “forum.thinkpads.com” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “forum.thinkpads.com” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “forum.thinkpads.com” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
3. Ad hominem and personal attacks are not permitted. Criticize the ideas, not the people. An ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy describing the attempt to discredit an argument by merely attacking the credibility of the arguer. Excessive flaming will not be tolerated. Users who verbally assault the character or person of other posters on a regular basis will be banned. Moderator's judgment applies here. "You are wrong" is not a personal attack; "You wrong because you are an idiot" is.
4. No pornographic, sexually offensive, sexually explicit, or objectifying material. Moderator's judgment applies here. We'd like for our readers to be able to read the forum at work and share with friends without fear of retribution.
5. Do not post links or requests for warez.
6. Respect the privacy of others. Do not post other's phone numbers, addresses, pictures, private messages, etc., without their express permission.
7. Each forum member may maintain only one account.
8. Each forum member must maintain e-mail. All users must provide a current, frequently read e-mail address in his/her internal profile. Note that non-moderators do not have access to your internal e-mail address (which is separate from "Display e-mail").
9. Do not place foul language in thread subjects.
10. No spamming. No commercial-oriented posts. The “For Sale/Want to buy conference is for NON COMMERCIAL sale of used ThinkPads and accessories. Do not flood the conferences with useless content or content designed to engage readers into forum wars or trolling.
11. DO NOT attempt to subvert, modify, or disrupt the normal flow or display of the Open Forum or its content.
screw-up here and we might cut you some slack..
1. Use descriptive subject lines and research your post. This reduces the chances of double-posting, and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Also, scan the subjects of the last several days' posts to make sure you aren't duplicating posts. Trim your quotes using only enough of the previous message to identify it.
2. Post in the right forum! If it's about the X Series, post it in the X Series forum. Even if it's only humor, an observation, or angst, if it's about something that we have a forum for, post it there. Don't cross-post messages into multiple forums unless you have prior approval from an admin.
3. Restrict the use of excessive foul language. Although we don't really care if people cuss (we have been known to cuss ourselves now and again), excessive foul language is likely to get moderated, if only because excessive foul language usually indicates that someone is utterly clueless.
4. No blatantly juvenile toilet humor. Moderator's judgment applies here.
5. Passwords: Discussion on how to defeat the **password or Security Chip on thinkpads specifically or lenovo/IBM branded computers in general will NOT be allowed. The structure of the security system and how to best secure a thinkpad, etc. is allowed as long as it does not touch on bypassing such security systems. The judgement of the Admin or Moderator in this regard is absolute. There is no appeal except to the Admin or Moderator involved should your post be deleted or moved out of sight.
** EXCEPTION to this rule: Power-On passwords can be cleared as explained below by Lenovo:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... migr-59377
thus discussion of power-on passwords IS acceptable and not covered by this rule.
6. Prices: IMPORTANT FOR BUYERS & SELLERS
Please also read the FOR SALE advert. guidelines.. in our Marketplace Forum.