Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Post Reply
Message
Author
astroidea
Freshman Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Location: Walnut, CA

Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#1 Post by astroidea » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

So I'm sure most of you have noticed or are aware of the trackpoint adaptation. When you gently push the trackpoint in one direction for more than a few seconds, the trackpoint recalibrates itself to make that the center point. When you let go, the cursor will move in the opposite direction. This is really annoying because frequently you really want to move the cursor at a slow constant rate for more than a few seconds.

I imagine this adaptation is a necessary feature which is why it was implemented. But I feel like it would be more optimal if I can adjust it so the adaptation happens after much longer time scales than a few seconds.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:20 pm

astroidea wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm
So I'm sure most of you have noticed or are aware of the trackpoint adaptation. When you gently push the trackpoint in one direction for more than a few seconds, the trackpoint recalibrates itself to make that the center point. When you let go, the cursor will move in the opposite direction. This is really annoying because frequently you really want to move the cursor at a slow constant rate for more than a few seconds.

I imagine this adaptation is a necessary feature which is why it was implemented. But I feel like it would be more optimal if I can adjust it so the adaptation happens after much longer time scales than a few seconds.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Umm, what? I've held the trackpoint in a direction for minutes without issue. This is happening because of the cap getting stuck, not the calibration. You are pushing too hard on the cap. Check your mouse sensitivity settings.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

JaneL
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5012
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:40 am
Location: Greenville SC

Re: Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#3 Post by JaneL » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Don't rest your finger on the TrackPoint unless you are using it.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm

JaneL wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 pm
Don't rest your finger on the TrackPoint unless you are using it.
Exactly.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

astroidea
Freshman Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Location: Walnut, CA

Re: Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#5 Post by astroidea » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am

Here's a clip demonstrating what I'm saying (sorry for the low quality). The cursor initially at the left middle edge of the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWIjvzW ... e=youtu.be

I'd be willfully dragging my cursor across the screen at a steady pace and the cursor would stop due to the adaptation. When I pick up my finger, it'd move the opposite direction.

That's not resting my finger. That's me trying to use my trackpoint.

The sensitivity setting is maxed out.

Pan-optical
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Adjust trackpoint adaptation?

#6 Post by Pan-optical » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm

astroidea wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am
Here's a clip demonstrating what I'm saying (sorry for the low quality). The cursor initially at the left middle edge of the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWIjvzW ... e=youtu.be

I'd be willfully dragging my cursor across the screen at a steady pace and the cursor would stop due to the adaptation. When I pick up my finger, it'd move the opposite direction.

That's not resting my finger. That's me trying to use my trackpoint.

The sensitivity setting is maxed out.
I heard about this issue before and my T60 does this from time to time - I believe there is no 'fix', at least I have never heard about one.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Thinkpad - General HARDWARE/SOFTWARE questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests