Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

JB Weld + carbon fiber for broken frame repair

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
zoltan87
Sophomore Member

JB Weld + carbon fiber for broken frame repair

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 pm

I have a Thinkpad T500 with broken magnesium frame close to the left hinge. I am thinking about trying to repair it with some JB Weld, that I would reinforce with carbon fiber, as I have quite a lot of carbon cloth material left from past projects. Do you guys think this could work, would be significantly stronger than the plain JB Weld epoxy alone?

Also I have a Thinkpad T22 whivh has the usual broken plastic right next to the keyboard on both sides. Does anyone know what type of plastic is is made from? If it's ABS, then I could melt it with acetone, and could incorporate some carbon fiber there too (from underneeth so it wouldn't be visible from the outside).
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu pin mod for FSB change and undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

atagunov

Re: JB Weld + carbon fiber for broken frame repair

#2 Post by atagunov » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:32 pm

For what it's worth here's a description of a somewhat similar repair on a T60 structure frame: https://thinkwiki.de/Frankenpad#Structu ... .C3.A4rken

google translate advised for those who like me do not speak German :) They used a brass angle + screws + UHU. I suppose UHU is similar to JB Weld. So at least our German comrades didn't think epoxy alone would be enough and also used metal.. Sorry no experience with carbon fibre.

Is there a recycling symbol on that plastic part you mentioned earlier? Perhaps that would point to which material it actually is.
X220, 2 *T520

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:10 pm

atagunov wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:32 pm
Is there a recycling symbol on that plastic part you mentioned earlier? Perhaps that would point to which material it actually is.
I will disassemble it tomorrow and have a look. I think I even remember that on the bottom of a T60 palmrest it said ABS, but it doesn't mean it's the same for the T2x series machines. On T60 the plastic parts have no (or little) structural importance due to the metal cage inside. On earlier models the construction was different. Will see it tomorrow. I might try a drop of acetone on it even if I can't see any ABS sign, just to see if there is any effect.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu pin mod for FSB change and undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:12 am

Been there, done that palmrest on various T23: viewtopic.php?t=60282
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by MikalE » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 am

I have used JB Weld on many repairs. I've even machined it and drilled and tapped it. It is very strong adhesive. Do not use the 5-Minute formula. It may not hold up. The faster is cures the more brittle it is.

Use the 24-hour cure formula and the repair should hold.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:31 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:12 am
Been there, done that palmrest on various T23: viewtopic.php?t=60282
Nice, so reinforcement is definitely worth a try. I will look around if I have some nails that are sufficiently thin and have some texture/ ribs on them, I will probably try to use those, instead of carbon fiber (which sounds good, but probably would be a lot more difficult and messy to lay it down in the epoxy).

@MikalE Yes I will use the normal 24 hour JB Weld, I have only heard bad things about the fast curing variants.
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20