Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Finding Ways to Protect Thinkpad Charger Cable from Bending Sharply - Right Angle Adapter, Sugru, etc.

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
WellLookieHere

Finding Ways to Protect Thinkpad Charger Cable from Bending Sharply - Right Angle Adapter, Sugru, etc.

#1 Post by WellLookieHere » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:24 pm

The charger cable for my X220 has to turn 180 degrees from where it plugs into the computer. How can I protect this charger cable from fraying like my last one did?

I think the best way would be to use a right angle adapter. I found posts viewtopic.php?t=116525 and viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91992 for right angle adapters, but I did not fully understand the discussion and if these right angle adapters can be used in all cases. Is it correct that the one in viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91992 should not be used for my charging cable because this adapter is not triaxial? Is there anything I need to consider before using the one in viewtopic.php?t=116525?

I think Sugru moldable glue could help a little, but I do not know how much. Are there other options that I could use to prevent a sharp bending radius for my cable?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Finding Ways to Protect Thinkpad Charger Cable from Bending Sharply - Right Angle Adapter, Sugru, etc.

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 am

The adapter from viewtopic.php?t=116525 is the correct one.
Still available e.g. here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263632968445 (USA)
or a variant here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222658359962 (UK)

The other link goes to a 16V-20V adapter, NOT to be used!
Are there other options that I could use to prevent a sharp bending radius for my cable?
Turn your desk/bed 180 degrees around, so that the power comes straight into your X220. :mrgreen:
(Or use an extension cord to achieve the same result).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

WellLookieHere

Re: Finding Ways to Protect Thinkpad Charger Cable from Bending Sharply - Right Angle Adapter, Sugru, etc.

#3 Post by WellLookieHere » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:46 am

Thank you for confirming that first adapter is good to go!

Haha, I like to stand at the bar countertop while using my computer, so I can't flip it around, and if I stood on the other side I'd be reaching over the sink :D