Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Post FW update, new L15 won't boot without boot over-ride

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
mikejacoubowsky

Post FW update, new L15 won't boot without boot over-ride

#1 Post by mikejacoubowsky » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:21 pm

This is fun. Updated my new L15 with latest firmware, and she won't boot up anymore, unless you hit F12 to bring up the boot menu and specifically select the drive. Unit is a 3rd Gen AMD.

If you don't hit F12 at precisely the right moment (after the red LENOVO rectangle appears), it will freeze and not accept anyput of any kind. You have to turn it off and start over. Prior to firmware update, booting up was no issue. Now, you have to go into the temporary boot menu and select the correct drive, and then, no issue.

Until you restart the computer and it locks up again at the red screen. Set bios to default, made sure the regular boot menu was correct (doesn't work whether you select the drive specifically or "Windows boot menu" option). Tried secure boot on and off. Nothing changes this behavior. Was all working fine prior to FW update. I did add another 16gig stick of ram (DDR4 3200, crucial, good stuff) and a 2TB M2242 NVME. That was before the firmware update, and everything worked fine with the upgrades.

What simple idiotic thing am I missing? This is my first frustrating experience with a Thinkpad. I've owned a bunch since my first T42. Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Post FW update, new L15 won't boot without boot over-ride

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:19 am

Try and go back to the previous hardware/BIOS version.
If still under warranty, contact Lenovo.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
IBM: T23 (XP/SP3) - Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, M900 Tiny (all with W7/SP1)