Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SSD as system disk - care and maintenance ?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
southof40

SSD as system disk - care and maintenance ?

#1 Post by southof40 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 am

I've recently got a TP 430s running Windows 7 and the operating system is installed on a 100Gb SSD.

This makes for a nice fast boot but I'm aware that SSD's are (or at least have been) more fragile than traditional disks.

Also on the machine is the "Lenovo Recovery Partition" (which appears to be empty but I suspect is just hidden).

The machine was shipped with Windows 8 and downgraded (?) to Windows 7 by the reseller. I have a notion, although I'm not sure how I know this, that the recovery partition contains Windows 8.

Given all these circumstances what's the best way to protect myself against the SSD dying ? Specifically.

* How do I establish what's in the Recovery Partition ?
* If the Recovery Partition contains Windows 8 and I want to continue using Windows 7 is there a way to make my own "recovery partition"
* Are any of the supplied Lenovo Utilities going to be of use in backing up the operating system partition ?

Thanks.

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: SSD as system disk - care and maintenance ?

#2 Post by Brad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 am

In my opinion and experience SSD's are very reliable and wouldn't say they are fragile.

On a T430s that I had on the outside of the box there is a label that read.

This system in preinstalled with Windows 7 Pro software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 8 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version.

To me this means that at least on my T430s the recovery partition contains Windows 7. If you want to install Windows 8 create recovery media prior to replacing the OS so in the future you can reinstall Windows 7.

Any backup program you feel comfortable with would be the best way to protect yourself from a dying SSD. Backup as often as you can afford to loose data.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

loyukfai
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by loyukfai » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 am

IMO, the sane way to deal with *data* maintenance is to assume that your drive is going to be gone anytime.

Therefore, the solution is external backup.

Make it off-site if necessary.

Cheers.

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by bill bolton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 pm

southof40 wrote:The machine was shipped with Windows 8 and downgraded (?) to Windows 7 by the reseller.
If it really was downgraded by the reseller, you need to be asking them exactly what the did with the existing partition layout.

As far as disk data goes - if its important, back it up frequently, no matter whether it is on an HDD or SSD!

In my experience SSDs are not fragile.

Cheers,

Bill B.

aPanzerIV
Freshman Member

#5 Post by aPanzerIV » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:25 am

SSD's are not fragile, but DO NOT DEFRAG THEM. If you are really worried about your ssd, you should back it up to ye oldie style hard disk, like everyone else mentioned.
Current: -R60 14" T-9945, R40 15" T-2897, 600 13.3" T-2645-45U-
Previous: -R40 15" T-2897, R40 P4-M 14", R50 14" T-1859, E425 T-1198-
Non-Thinkpad: HP Probook 6470B, Dell Latitude D610, Dell Dimension E520