Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

UltraNav SK-8845 Windows 8 drivers?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
micrex22

UltraNav SK-8845 Windows 8 drivers?

#1 Post by micrex22 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Hello,

I've been playing around with an UltraNav SK-8845 (made in 2007). Come to think of it, pretty rare to find a keyboard lacking windows keys made in 2007, but IBM was known to throw microsoft a sour bean here and there... windows keys are stupid but I digress.

I'm having problems getting the drivers to work. I've installed the drivers for the SK-8855 (in hopes that they'll work for the SK-8845), but they don't. Seen here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-73183

I tried forcing the keyboard to use that driver, no dice. Although I did see two synaptics items pop up along with other USB HID entries seemingly all tied to the keyboard somehow.

I tried the UltraNav driver (typically for thinkpads), refused to install from not seeing any device(s) present: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029425

I went ahead and tried some older vista drivers which some folks were using for the SK-8845 under Windows 7-- now these drivers DID enable the trackpoint to function (sans the middle button). BUT, it only functions for 15 seconds and then stops working-- until I restart or reinstall it again. But only for 15 seconds, no more. Weird.

Has anyone else had any luck running an SK-8845 under Windows 8?

I just found this page for drivers (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd026503), I swear I tried this package already, but it looks different from that SK-8855 package.

For various reasons I do not want to get an SK-8855 and I guess I'll explain since it may come up. For starters the cable routing has been reduced, not sure why Lenovo has done this, even on their desktop keyboards whereas the IBM variants had more cable routing options. The middle 'scroll' button has received a reduced footprint, I like it being larger. I have no need for a windows / context key (which affect the sizing of alt and ctrl). I don't like those ESC and Delete keys, if I can help it. And finally the most vain reason, I prefer the IBM branding.

Cheers.

micrex22

Re: UltraNav SK-8845 Windows 8 drivers?

#2 Post by micrex22 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:00 pm

To provide an update, the drivers at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd026503 are actually for the later chiclet ultranavs as far as I can tell.

However after doing some digging, I found out that the SK-8835 (essentially the SK-8845 with numpad) is auto-detected by windows 8 with a functioning trackpoint and touchpad according to some users. That means there's either a fundamental hardware difference between SK-8835 and SK-8845, or 8.1 had a larger change from 8. It's unlikely that 8 and 8.1 would have that much of a difference.

Now I'm curious if the SK-8835 has different hardware (however I do not care for numpads with the extra size and the hideous price tag those go for is even more deterring)-- I still don't have concrete proof SK-8845 uses the synaptics ultrastyk. I suppose I could look for some ultrastyk windows 8.1 drivers to experiment. I'll also continue a search in the depths of the internet to see what drivers were explicitly released for SK-8845; the product hasn't really been documented well, anywhere.

micrex22

#3 Post by micrex22 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 am

Good news and bad.

The good news is, I finally got the trackpoint working. The bad news is, it doesn't seem like the middle 'scroll' button is functional.

After playing around endlessly with installation package 'v5kyb04us17', it somehow finally took. I am not sure if this is also because I was trying to install '6hgx81ww', which happens to be a synaptics-specific UltraNav driver. Every time I ran 6hgx81ww, it claimed there were no synaptics devices, which was false as the device manager showed it after you install v5kyb04us17.

Anyways, somehow... the synaptics drivers are working now. They don't look to be Lenovo branded though... under 'buttons' I have two devices:
Synaptics TouchPad V5.9 on USB port
Synaptics TouchStyk V1.13 on USB port

At this point I can verify it's not a resistive trackpoint but a capacitive touchstyk. The touchstyk doesn't seem to suffer from the drifting problem that a regular resistive trackpoint does. Also, synaptics does give the option to reduce the pressure required quite dramatically, so it tracks quite well.
EDIT: actually after some more extensive stress tests, the touchstyk does suffer from drifting. So it's not a problem exclusive to negative inertia as commonly touted.

In fact I'm very surprised at how well it tracks... on its HP brethren I can never seem to use it properly (although this may be primarily due to poor rubber nubs). I like the rim trackpoint cap the best.

Anyways... has anyone else had a different experience with these SK-8845 UltraNavs? I'm curious about getting the middle button working... if anyone has done so.

PS: I was able to disable the synaptics touchpad. Curiously my SK-8845 came with a piece of foam installed over the touchpad rendering it nonfunctional sans the buttons anyways... I am not sure if this came with the original keyboard that you'd stick on, or if it's custom made and applied. If it's custom they matched the corners perfectly... anyways it's staying on.

micrex22

#4 Post by micrex22 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Well I have gotten the middle button working properly now.

You have to go into the synaptics touchstyk options and set the middle button for the continuous scrolling. By default it's configured to behave like how you'd push down a wheel of a typical mouse.

With that said, it actually also scrolls *horizontally* as well, allowing more functionality than the standard IBM driver and hardware (and in a way a bit more like a scrollpoint). The SK-8845 has some rather abysmal rubber membranes for the middle click button so it feels rather soggy (despite using more or less the identical button than your standard T30 would have). I'm experimenting with some rubber membranes from the T30 and T60 NMB keyboards which actually make it feel how it should. The T30 membranes seem to work the best, however I'll have to shave the top off a bit as it's too high. I'll probably make an article on the whole modification process when it's done.

So far the SK-8845 is getting better and better. At first I was disappointed, but now I quite like it.

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by crashnburn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 am

Let me go and check on what drivers I am using on my Win7 x64. Maybe those could work?
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

micrex22

#6 Post by micrex22 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:03 am

crashnburn wrote:Let me go and check on what drivers I am using on my Win7 x64. Maybe those could work?
It's alright, I figured out the correct driver package is v5kyb04us17. I think other installations were conflicting with the package the first time I gave it a try. And to get the middle button behaving how it should, it requires to be manually configured to do so.

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by crashnburn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 am

micrex22 wrote:
crashnburn wrote:Let me go and check on what drivers I am using on my Win7 x64. Maybe those could work?
It's alright, I figured out the correct driver package is v5kyb04us17. I think other installations were conflicting with the package the first time I gave it a try. And to get the middle button behaving how it should, it requires to be manually configured to do so.
:) Awesome. Thanks for the post back. I will be moving to Win 8 x64 Pro so that should come in handy.
Hmm.. do share what conflicts / packages you are facing and how you configured manually :)

PS: I was googling around and found this as well.. similar/ related.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5kyb04us17

Edit: Missed the link :)
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI

micrex22

#8 Post by micrex22 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:50 pm

I would like to update this--

Erik (who was very kind in contacting me) sold a Japanese SK-8835* and included with the often neglected driver disc for these series of keyboards: which has additional files that is nowhere available at Lenovo, and IBM has long since removed the files. I'll be uploading these files publicly at some point, but if anyone needs them 'now' just send me a PM and I'll send you a download think with a .ZIP. Some ebay listings selling these keyboards NOS include the driver discs, but usually older versions -- aaaaand -- it would be annoying to fork over $100 just to get an outdated drivers disc when someone already has one to share. This driver disc should work for both the SK-8845 and SK-8835.

On that note, the Japanese SK-8835 assembly seems to have a different trackpoint cap... one where it uses an 'adapter' that attaches to the old style smaller square stem. I am not sure if this is due to different manufacturers (which I think it is as the switches feel *slightly* different) or if IBM just used alternative caps on non-US boards.

'USB Keyboard with UltraNav Software and Installation Manual - Version 4.0'
(it also includes the old IBM HTML support pages and W2K / XP drivers, but of course the Vista drivers are the ones most people would be interested in).

On that note... since the keyboard does use a synaptics touchstyk, it should be possible to install later (generic) touchstyk drivers if the vista drivers in this package don't work for someone. I'll be investigating that in the future some time...

It is possible to switch assemblies from an SK-8835 into an SK-8845 and vice versa (the numpad is separate). With the only exception that the SK-8845s may not have the numpad ribbon connector soldered on, I think they do, but I can't remember.

*The Japanese SK-8835s seem to be pretty hard to find at this point, at least in North America. Mostly just ANSI and UK-ISO NOS ones that remain.

Thanks,

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by crashnburn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:12 am

micrex22 wrote:I would like to update this--

Erik (who was very kind in contacting me) sold a Japanese SK-8835* and included with the often neglected driver disc for these series of keyboards: which has additional files that is nowhere available at Lenovo, and IBM has long since removed the files. I'll be uploading these files publicly at some point, but if anyone needs them 'now' just send me a PM and I'll send you a download think with a .ZIP. Some ebay listings selling these keyboards NOS include the driver discs, but usually older versions -- aaaaand -- it would be annoying to fork over $100 just to get an outdated drivers disc when someone already has one to share. This driver disc should work for both the SK-8845 and SK-8835.

On that note, the Japanese SK-8835 assembly seems to have a different trackpoint cap... one where it uses an 'adapter' that attaches to the old style smaller square stem. I am not sure if this is due to different manufacturers (which I think it is as the switches feel *slightly* different) or if IBM just used alternative caps on non-US boards.

'USB Keyboard with UltraNav Software and Installation Manual - Version 4.0'
(it also includes the old IBM HTML support pages and W2K / XP drivers, but of course the Vista drivers are the ones most people would be interested in).

On that note... since the keyboard does use a synaptics touchstyk, it should be possible to install later (generic) touchstyk drivers if the vista drivers in this package don't work for someone. I'll be investigating that in the future some time...

It is possible to switch assemblies from an SK-8835 into an SK-8845 and vice versa (the numpad is separate). With the only exception that the SK-8845s may not have the numpad ribbon connector soldered on, I think they do, but I can't remember.

*The Japanese SK-8835s seem to be pretty hard to find at this point, at least in North America. Mostly just ANSI and UK-ISO NOS ones that remain.

Thanks,
I was able to find: v5kyb04us17. Is the ZIP file you are offering the same or another driver package?

micrex22

#10 Post by micrex22 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:13 pm

I would like to update this for two reasons: #1 to provide the latest driver packages and what I have discovered, #2 to clarify a few things to one-time-registrations exclusively to send me PMs about drivers for the SK-8845.

Here is a download to the *latest* Lenovo SK-8845 specific driver:
http://ibmfiles.com/ibmfiles/peripheral ... rivers.zip

Here is the download to the *latest* UltraNav driver (which is the one I recommend, read below):
http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds019164

I was able to install the *latest* ThinkPad UltraNav driver on the SK-8845 as Lenovo's driver also runs Synaptics devices. The driver is actually a package (partly) developed for IBM/Lenovo on behalf of Synaptics. And Synaptics manufactures all trackpoints. What you need to do is manually point the SK-8845 to the UltraNav package, and then the UltraNav driver will switch into 'Synaptics' mode and run the SK-8845 just fine. Yes, the UltraNav driver has different modes, depending on what 'UltraNav' it sees-- I found this out after hooking up an SK-8845 to a ThinkPad--which caused the driver to change modes and stop working for my ThinkPad, but worked fine on the SK-8845.
ThinkPad Edge laptops also operate on the 'Synaptics' mode like the SK-8845, whereas a regular T series ThinkPad uses the more deluxe Lenovo branded portion of the driver. The TouchStyk implementation is less 'precise'.

**To the people who register to thinkpads.com ONLY to send me a one-off private message about asking for help on the SK-8845 regarding drivers. I sort of don't like the ethics behind it as you're using my private mailbox for technical support on an issue without contributing anything to the thinkpads community (since you don't care about the community, you just want your personal issue fixed). If you have no desire to contribute to the thinkpads community and just want to send me PMs without ever posting anything, forget it. The forum was not exclusively designed as a private messaging system.**

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, it's just *so many* one-offs are sending me PMs about the SK-8845. So they waste resources on the forum and leave soon as their problem is resolved. One person even told me to EMAIL them as they wouldn't be looking at their private messages on the forum after they sent the message. :roll:

Anyone who wants help on their SK-8845, please publicly reply to this thread, don't send me any more one-off PMs.

passaro

#11 Post by passaro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:02 am

I have one Lenovo X230 ... With the last update, after I installed Windows 10 I stop being able to use the SK8845.
What I did ??

I uninstalled the Synapics drive and all re-start working.

The incompatible driver is Synapics Pointing device driver ver 19.0.17.85

Rgds

Rui

micrex22

#12 Post by micrex22 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:28 pm

passaro wrote:I have one Lenovo X230 ... With the last update, after I installed Windows 10 I stop being able to use the SK8845.
What I did ??

I uninstalled the Synapics drive and all re-start working.

The incompatible driver is Synapics Pointing device driver ver 19.0.17.85

Rgds

Rui
I have not attempted to get the SK-8845 to work under Windows 10. My suggestion is to find a Windows 10 Lenovo Trackpoint driver, and try to get the 'synaptics' portion working with the SK-8845. If that doesn't work then you're out of luck.

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#13 Post by crashnburn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:14 am

I have the one with UltraNav.
Model No: SK-8845 RC
FRU P/N: 40K9400

I presume it is the same? Similar? Same drivers apply to this one?
micrex22 wrote:I would like to update this for two reasons: #1 to provide the latest driver packages and what I have discovered, #2 to clarify a few things to one-time-registrations exclusively to send me PMs about drivers for the SK-8845.

Here is a download to the *latest* Lenovo SK-8845 specific driver:
http://ibmfiles.com/ibmfiles/peripheral ... rivers.zip

Here is the download to the *latest* UltraNav driver (which is the one I recommend, read below):
http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds019164

I was able to install the *latest* ThinkPad UltraNav driver on the SK-8845 as Lenovo's driver also runs Synaptics devices. The driver is actually a package (partly) developed for IBM/Lenovo on behalf of Synaptics. And Synaptics manufactures all trackpoints. What you need to do is manually point the SK-8845 to the UltraNav package, and then the UltraNav driver will switch into 'Synaptics' mode and run the SK-8845 just fine. Yes, the UltraNav driver has different modes, depending on what 'UltraNav' it sees-- I found this out after hooking up an SK-8845 to a ThinkPad--which caused the driver to change modes and stop working for my ThinkPad, but worked fine on the SK-8845.
ThinkPad Edge laptops also operate on the 'Synaptics' mode like the SK-8845, whereas a regular T series ThinkPad uses the more deluxe Lenovo branded portion of the driver. The TouchStyk implementation is less 'precise'.

**To the people who register to thinkpads.com ONLY to send me a one-off private message about asking for help on the SK-8845 regarding drivers. I sort of don't like the ethics behind it as you're using my private mailbox for technical support on an issue without contributing anything to the thinkpads community (since you don't care about the community, you just want your personal issue fixed). If you have no desire to contribute to the thinkpads community and just want to send me PMs without ever posting anything, forget it. The forum was not exclusively designed as a private messaging system.**

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, it's just *so many* one-offs are sending me PMs about the SK-8845. So they waste resources on the forum and leave soon as their problem is resolved. One person even told me to EMAIL them as they wouldn't be looking at their private messages on the forum after they sent the message. :roll:

Anyone who wants help on their SK-8845, please publicly reply to this thread, don't send me any more one-off PMs.

micrex22

#14 Post by micrex22 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 am

crashnburn wrote:I have the one with UltraNav.
FRU P/N: 40K9400

I presume it is the same? Similar? Same drivers apply to this one?
All SK-8845s use the same chip (hidden under a glop top) and synaptics driver package.

passaro

#15 Post by passaro » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:06 am

My unit is this ...
FRU P/N: 40K9419

What is happening with it ?
1- the "Lenovo system update" keep saying me that I need to update the drivers.
2- Last "Windows 10 update" told me the same ...
In both cases I installed and updated ... First the Lenovo and later the MSFT W 10 ...
In both cases the SK-8845K trackpoint stop working... I was able to use the "keys/enter etc etc" BUT the pointing device as well as the pad device did not work.
In both cases I "uninstalled" the program from the "Control panel" and all start working again.
The strange thing is that I have another SK keyboard ( THE SK-8840 ) which works fine ...

It looks the SK-8845RC/40K9419 have some incompatibility with the driver.

Rgds

Rui

micrex22

#16 Post by micrex22 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:15 pm

passaro wrote:My unit is this ...
FRU P/N: 40K9419

What is happening with it ?
1- the "Lenovo system update" keep saying me that I need to update the drivers.
2- Last "Windows 10 update" told me the same ...
In both cases I installed and updated ... First the Lenovo and later the MSFT W 10 ...
In both cases the SK-8845K trackpoint stop working... I was able to use the "keys/enter etc etc" BUT the pointing device as well as the pad device did not work.
In both cases I "uninstalled" the program from the "Control panel" and all start working again.
The strange thing is that I have another SK keyboard ( THE SK-8840 ) which works fine ...

It looks the SK-8845RC/40K9419 have some incompatibility with the driver.

Rgds

Rui
IBM (despite making these as late as 2014) does not support the SK-8845 on Windows 10. They only sell them to select corporate clients running server environments from a console in a server rack.
Lenovo (who has not manufactured these for probably over nine years) does not care and wants you to buy their latest *disgusting* PCjr-esque chiclet keyboard: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/itemdetail ... 1FF88E33C7

When you 'uninstall' the mismatched driver Lenovo and Windows tries to install, it reverts to using a generic driver that can operate the Synaptics Touchstyk without a problem (both the TouchStyk, Touchpad and left and right buttons scan as standard HID mouse devices under USB). The TouchStyk driver is necessary for the 'rich' features such as configuring the middle scroll button.
The SK-8840 talks over PS/2, so anything that understands PS/2 will work fine with it (because the bus is specialized specifically for a mouse and keyboard, it doesn't need a complex driver like USB, as *any* type of peripheral can be USB). Don't confuse USB and PS/2 interfaces.

As per my previous notes, I would try forcefully installing Lenovo's latest (Win 10) TrackPoint driver package so that the SK-8845 starts to utilize the synaptics 'TouchStyk' portion of the driver package. All TrackPoint driver packages have two portions: one for the "regular" TrackPoint, and the other for the TouchStyk. SK-8845 and some ThinkPads (like the edge) use the TouchStyk portion. If you don't care about sensitivity and the middle button, then I would just use the generic driver.

Because I have no desire to use Windows 10 with my SK-8845, I'm not going to experiment with it myself. I got it working under Windows 8.1, and that was enough for me.

johnnycanuck

#17 Post by johnnycanuck » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am

Hi micrex22

Long preamble to my question that follows below

I recently purchased a Lenovo “Thinkpad Compact USB Keyboard with Trackpoint” PN 0B47190. It’s working fine on a refurbished desktop I have also just bought and wanted to use it with - a Lenovo ThinkCenter M90P running WIN7 (upgradable to 10 at some point in the future if I want to).

For many years before I retired, I had been regularly using IBM Thinkpads with a Trackpoint (as a full time “business” user) and found it so ergonomically superior to a mouse, that I now personally consider it the only way to use a computer with a keyboard. While I was still working I experienced a stroke. Fortunately the after effects were relatively mild all things considered, but my right side was compromised. In particular I lost “fine” motor control in my right hand (i.e. fine movement control); the after effects continue up my arm and shoulder so I also have “large” motor control issues in those areas (i.e. more generalized movement issues that relate to my hand, arm & shoulder). So you can probably easily picture how much “fun” it is trying to operate a mouse compared to only needing to use a single finger to operate the TrackPoint.

After recovering from my stroke, and understanding the deficits I was left with in my right hand, arm and shoulder, I realized even more than I already had, the ergonomic advantages of the TrackPoint compared to a mouse and I continued to work for another 8 years before retiring. After retiring I continued to use an IBM/Lenovo T60P with WIN/XP, but finally decided I needed to upgrade from XP and didn’t need a laptop any more as my “primary” computer, so opted to get the ThinkCenter desktop with WIN7 … knowing that I’d still be able to get a USB Keyboard with TrackPoint to add to it.

However when I actually ended up looking (in Apr 2017) for a keyboard, I ended up realizing that Lenovo only sells/supports one model of a USB Keyboard with a Trackpoint (PN 0B47190), which I had to end up buying since for me it was my only option. It works functionally for me in WIN7, but I’ve found that I hate its “compactness” (reduced number of keys), lack of palm rest area, strangely the height of the top of the TrackPoint relative to the height of the B key is so close I end up typing Bs when I just want to move the pointer, the actual layout of the keys and so on when I compare it to the old / “classic” / IBM ThinkPad style keyboard (something like a T60P) that I had been thinking I’d be able to get.

My Question

Because of the above, I’ve been searching these forums for an alternative to Lenovo’s PN 0B47190 that I’m using so far (but not happily :( ). I’ve also tried Amazon, Buy/Sell sites etc. for older models etc. with no luck till now.

What I’m looking at now is this keyboard on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Ori ... 0e75&tpp=1

It’s called a "New Original Genuine for Lenovo ThinkPad UltraNav USB Keyboard + Trackpoint US English 8845 SK-8845 SK-8845CR 00MV946 2015" and the link has photos, more description etc.

In reading this thread, I see that you’ve looked in detail at the intricacies of “old / classic” keyboard styles (IBM) vs “new” keyboard styles and extended it to drivers that are required for any specific keyboard and have specifically mentioned SK-8845.

So finally my question is simply … what’s your opinion of me being able to get this keyboard from AliExpress, working on my Lenovo ThinkCenter desktop (M90P) running WIN7. To me it seems pretty good (especially since I’m not trying to use it on WIN10), but I’d appreciate your opinion before I make the decision to buy one.

Thanks very much in advance for your response.

micrex22

#18 Post by micrex22 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:53 pm

You'd be better off purchasing one from the States for cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Keyboard-wi ... SwImRYPx8S

Getting the driver working under Windows 8.1 (and especially 10) is a huge process. And sadly the newer versions of windows were *inverting* the trackpoint after I had managed to hack the old original NT driver in (I have not figured a solution to that). It's almost impossible and BREAKS every time Microsoft forces an update down your gullet.

So if you're planning on using modern Windows with this keyboard, you'll be in for a world of hurt, weird issues and pain and agony as you watch your operating system update automatically and brick multiple drivers, uninstall applications it deems 'not compatible', installs junk like candy crush and of course uploads a lot of your personal data inadvertently to the microsoft servers which could be compromised at any given point in time.

Now... getting the trackpoint to work on Linux shouldn't be an issue at all (since the way Linux interprets the TrackPoint is a lot more intuitive and you can customize it to your needs; although my only complaint is that I'm not sure what the precise values the Windows driver uitilizes), and as a bonus your computer won't self-immolate after a forced update! If you are considering getting that keyboard, I would just consider Windows a write-off at this point and work to transitioning away from it. Because there are ISSUES with how 8.1 and 10 operate that I can't solve with each update as things break and change how Windows responds to drivers.

Windows 10 is a colossal disaster; and not enough people are shouting out its HIDEOUS issues (and even worse, many more crusade for it since they're scared of change and don't want to admit it siphons all of their personal data, shoves updates and applications down their throat, implements a BIPOLAR theme that's an utter mess, etc). And it's painful for me to migrate off since I'll have to use a cocktail of virtual machines and WINE, but whatever. I have no choice. Windows 10 is NOT a solution and NOBODY should use that DISGUSTING WRETCHED operating system.

I've had Windows 10 UNINSTALL my regular TrackPoint driver packages after the second major update (whatever it was called), so I had to download and reinstall. Microsoft Windows is the ONLY operating system in the entire world that anything like this would ever happen... So there's no telling what it will do to 'unofficial' mods to hack in older drivers.

If you want to take a dip in Linux, I'd suggest Xubuntu:
https://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

If you're a fan of the Windows 9x / W2K interface, I'd suggest Chicago 95 for XFCE (which is what Xubuntu is installed with out of the box):
https://www.xfce-look.org/content/show. ... ent=175835

---
If you absolutely insist on the Microsoft Windows 10 experience, you'll need to just get a modern Lenovo chiclet UltraNav:
http://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... /p/0B47190

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#19 Post by pianowizard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 am

micrex22 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:53 pm
I've had Windows 10 UNINSTALL my regular TrackPoint driver packages after the second major update (whatever it was called), so I had to download and reinstall. Microsoft Windows is the ONLY operating system in the entire world that anything like this would ever happen...
Do the following:
1) Right-click "This PC" and select "Properties".
2) Click "Advanced system settings".
3) Click the "Hardware" tab.
4) Click "Device Installation Settings".
5) Select "No..."
6) Click "Save Changes".

After doing the above, Windows 10 might still forcefully uninstall and update your driver. Tell the Device Manager to roll back to the previous driver, and Windows 10 will learn never to mess with that driver again. I've done this for my graphics drivers and my SK-8845 keyboard.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

_captain

#20 Post by _captain » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 am

Hi all,

IBM SK-8845CR with a Pointing stick and without touch TrackPad
FRU P/N: 46W6672
Connected to: Lenovo EDGE 14 Laptop (latest Lenovo Companion updates)

Pointing stick is working without any additional driver installation.

The issue:
FN key (aswell as Access IBM key) doesn't respond. All other keys works as expected.

In Device Manager:
HID Keyboard Device, Driver - Microsoft 21.06.2006 - 10.0.14393.206
HID\VID_04B3&PID_301E&MI_00

I've tried to install manually "the *latest* Lenovo SK-8845 specific driver" from this http://ibmfiles.com/ibmfiles/peripheral ... rivers.zip but had no luck.

Any ideas how to make FN key to work?

Thanks.

Wolfman_Jack

#21 Post by Wolfman_Jack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 pm

This guy claims that the 18.0.x series drivers from Lenovo also work for this keyboard:

http://martin.iturbide.com/2013/07/thin ... board.html

While they installed out-of-the-box for me, they caused the Synaptics Control Panel Applet to crash (Win 8.1 x64). So I'll be sticking with the 16.2.19.14 driver referenced above which works fine after the manual install via dpinst.exe.

-----------

I was able to get the "Access IBM" button working by first installing v5kyb04us17.exe from

https://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/ds004171

and then editing the following registry string:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LTON_HIS\UNav\HOTKEY01\ActionCommand
to point to a program/batch-file which I want executed.

-----------

I then remapped my right ALT key to the Windows key using the Keyboard Customizer Utility (7kkd03ww.exe)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/migr-67288

beko1987
Freshman Member

#22 Post by beko1987 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 am

My turn!

I found, for a bargain price (£65 posted to the UK from china) an IBM Ultranav Keyboard SK8845, which I am using at work on my office PC!

Now it does work, as in I plugged it in, and the volume keys work, the trackpoint works, trackpoint scroll works and the trackpad works. To all intents and reason it works fine, I'm typing this on it now!

However, I have no software. I have been all over the web, installing many different things, and when I found this thread found I had tried several of the suggestions here too.

The Devices and Printers part of W10 shows my IBM USB Travel Keyboard with Ultra Nav, but all the drivers are the Mocrosoft generic HID ones. As such, I can't adjust the sensitivity of the trackpoint or trackpad, the only options I see are for my mouse. Is there a reliable way in 2018 for me to do this with the Windows 10 Creators Update?

Another annoyance that I had not thought of is I use a seperate bluetooth numpad (I have a Logitech DeNovo desktop set, which this UltraNav has half replaced, a long story involving 2 weeks annual leave where I almost solely used my T40 at home, came back in and my DeNovo board never felt the same again), but I am keeping the bluetooth numpad. Of course, numlock on, the UltraNav turns half it's keys into a Numpad! I was hoping that buried in the software for the Ultra Nav would be an option to disable this, but I haven't got that far yet. My workaround is to knock the numlock back off when I've finished using it, but I forget, launch into an email and look up 10 minutes later to a scrap email!

It's lovely though, very happy with it. I also got the 2 spare trackpoint caps, which is handy as my X60T needs a new 'innie' one, as the domed ones interfere with the screen when in tablet mode, and the current 'innie' one it wears is rock hard with age!

I'll uninstall all I have tried in anticipation, and have a fresh look. Doesn't fully help that the one 'reliable' method (the one with the most people saying it works) has a link to a dead lenovo page - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10 ... -p/2136015

Hey ho, 90% very happy with it! Maybe I should have held out for one with built in numpad, but I couldn't find one of those, let alone a brand new UK layout one!
Thinkpad T40
Thinkpad T43
Thinkpad X60 Tablet
Thinkpad X61
Thinkpad R500
Thinkpad X201

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#23 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am

beko1987 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 am
My workaround is to knock the numlock back off when I've finished using it, but I forget, launch into an email and look up 10 minutes later to a scrap email!
Maybe switch on the spell-checker in your email program?
All those red-underlined words should ring alarm bells...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

beko1987
Freshman Member

#24 Post by beko1987 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am
beko1987 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 am
My workaround is to knock the numlock back off when I've finished using it, but I forget, launch into an email and look up 10 minutes later to a scrap email!
Maybe switch on the spell-checker in your email program?
All those red-underlined words should ring alarm bells...
Normally too late by the time I've written it, I'm usually looking at my notes and not at the screen, and there's only so much spell checker can cope with!

with num lock on it's t66 04ch f6r 5t!

Having my sandwiches atm, never been so careful whilst eating at my desk.
Thinkpad T40
Thinkpad T43
Thinkpad X60 Tablet
Thinkpad X61
Thinkpad R500
Thinkpad X201

johnnycanuck

#25 Post by johnnycanuck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am

Hi beko1987 ... I hope your waking up this thread, might result in finding a WINDOWS driver that works completely with this keyboard. Unfortunately, since it relates to a "prehistoric" keyboard I'm not holding my breath. I have one of these keyboards too, but as a Canadian, I have a standard US version that I was looking at getting and eventually bought from China, back in Apr 2017 (see my older posts).

As you've said:
"Now it does work, as in I plugged it in, and the volume keys work, the trackpoint works, trackpoint scroll works and the trackpad works. To all intents and reason it works fine, I'm typing this on it now!
However, I have no software. I have been all over the web, installing many different things, and when I found this thread found I had tried several of the suggestions here too".

Features that I personally couldn't live without on my current WIN7 based ThinkCentre desktop.

1. the old IBM "standard" layout of the keys (which matches the old Thinkpad keyboards I had used for many years till I retired from IBM in 2009 & then additionally a number of more years till in Apr 2017 I finally gave up and stopped nursing a T60P running WINXP and switched to a Lenovo desktop running WIN7.
2. the "extended" palm rest you get with this keyboard

Note: 1 had bought and tried the available Lenovo "Travel" keyboard with TrackPoint (& no TrackPad) and was amazed at how uncomfortable the short / "Travel" keyboard felt without an integrated palm rest. As well, the layout of the keys is LENOVO's new "standard" and all of the special keys that I use most frequently were no longer where they "should be" :-)

3. The only annoyance I have with it, is that without a WINDOWS driver that supports it completely, I can't totally disable it's TrackPad feature which I hate. Because of my typing style/habit I'm constantly brushing it and throwing the cursor all over the screen before I realize it's not where I thought it was :-(

Anyway, here's wishing us both luck in finding a driver in the next few months? years? but probably more realistically never.

PS: I don't know what the product label on your keyboard says but this is what mine shows. Probably too much information, but anyway other than US key caps vs UK key caps I suspect it's likely the same basic keyboard as yours).
IBM Model No: SK-8845-RC
Made in: CHINA
MFG: 2014-07-24
PRINT: 2014-07-24
REV: R03
Fru PN: 94Y6108
EC: N32344E
P/N: 94Y6108 S/N: 04079836

beko1987
Freshman Member

#26 Post by beko1987 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 am

I was secretly hoping someone would reply soon and go "Ah, I fixed this last year, do X, Y & Z!" The problem I've found is all the threads with solutions are for either earlier versions of Windows 10, which has changed in the recent updates, or for Windows 8.1 etc. part of the problem is, because it is my PC in the office, I can't spend hours trying different things like I could at home! All I need I think is a working driver INF file to start with so Device manager see's it as the proper device rather than a HID input device. Windows 10's devices and printers bit see's it, so it's part way there!

It's not a huge showstopper, as tbh I only bought it for the keyboard. As it's at work I use the mouse (my beautiful Logitech revolution MX) all of the time, although I have idly used the trackpad whilst sitting back and thinking here and there, but it wouldn't be used heavily even if it was all working, it's just in the back of my mind that it should work, but doesn't!

Luckily my typing position avoids the trackpad completely so I don't need to turn it off, I can imagine it would be VERY annoying if it was though, so I feel your pain there.

I'll keep plodding away here and there, just having it to type on is lovely, I was using my actual T40 last night and the feel is very similar. This new board is a bit 'crisper' than the worn smooth original board on the T40, but there's very little difference to speak of.

Mine is almost identical to your specs! Having issues getting the images into the website I use to share them from my phone, but:

IBM Model No: SK-8845-RC - match
Made in: CHINA - Match
MFG: 2014-07-24 - 2014-05-22
PRINT: 2014-07-24 - 2014-05-22
REV: R03 - Match
Fru PN: 94Y6108 - 94Y6135
EC: N32344E - Match
P/N: 94Y6108 S/N: 04079836 - P/N 94Y6206 S/N 02658600

I have mine and my colleages Ideapad we use for pottering about on to rebuild with windows 7 today (it really does not run 10, I nearly threw it out of the window the other week) so I might try and get the software and drivers installed on that and see if anything becomes apparent!
Thinkpad T40
Thinkpad T43
Thinkpad X60 Tablet
Thinkpad X61
Thinkpad R500
Thinkpad X201

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#27 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:47 am

Long shot:
find out in Control Panel/Device Manager/Properties of that KB what its HardwareID (=A) is.
find out if there is any OS in which your KB works completely as it should. Get the HardwareID (=B) from there as well.
Find your current OS's .inf file for that KB, then check for the above A and B.
If you find both A and B, first delete all lines with A, then find all lines with B and replace B with A. Reinstall.
If you find only B, then replace all B with A. Reinstall.

That's how I got Touchpad+buttons(B) from T450/X250 working to replace the Clunkpads(A) in T440/X240.

Ole
Freshman Member

#28 Post by Ole » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:24 am

Just to jump in, I've got the SK-8845 working on Windows 10. I'm running the Synaptics driver v16.2.19.14 14Jul14. Here, under Mouse Properties in Windows 10, I'm able to see both the PS/2 Pointing Stick that's the Trackpoint on the W520's keyboard, and the TouchStyk V1.13 on USB Port which is the SK-8845's Trackpoint (If one can call it that when it's a TouchStyk?).

However, it seems that the "hold middle button to scroll with trackpoint"-function doesn't work on the SK-8845. I'm able to choose it in the device specific settings, but it doesn't seem to work. This function works on the generic driver that Windows 10 auto-installs, but with that I can't adjust Trackpoint sensitivy, plus it defaults to the "mouse like scrolling"-behaviour, and not the more common "trackpoint like scrolling", if that makes any sense.

Anyone got any pointers as to what I can try to reenable that feature?

micrex22

#29 Post by micrex22 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 am

Ole wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:24 am
Just to jump in, I've got the SK-8845 working on Windows 10. I'm running the Synaptics driver v16.2.19.14 14Jul14. Here, under Mouse Properties in Windows 10, I'm able to see both the PS/2 Pointing Stick that's the Trackpoint on the W520's keyboard, and the TouchStyk V1.13 on USB Port which is the SK-8845's Trackpoint (If one can call it that when it's a TouchStyk?).

However, it seems that the "hold middle button to scroll with trackpoint"-function doesn't work on the SK-8845. I'm able to choose it in the device specific settings, but it doesn't seem to work. This function works on the generic driver that Windows 10 auto-installs, but with that I can't adjust Trackpoint sensitivy, plus it defaults to the "mouse like scrolling"-behaviour, and not the more common "trackpoint like scrolling", if that makes any sense.

Anyone got any pointers as to what I can try to reenable that feature?
Yes, you need to load up the synaptics control panel and explicitly change it from the 'mouse scrolling' behaviour to the regular trackpoint scrolling behaviour. It threw me for a loop too that the default behaviour would be like that. You should just be able to double click the synaptics system tray icon to load the control panel and change it from there.

artic_squirrel
Sophomore Member

#30 Post by artic_squirrel » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 am

Hello,

I will get a 8835 or way more likely, a chinese copy of 8845 soon. What I need is the volume keys and the trackpoint.

Currently, I use the middle button of the trackpoint to middle click, like on a tab in firefox, with the little program tpmiddle-0.6.exe http://sdx1.net/tools/tpmiddle/ on w8.1.
Can you confirm that the middle button is also a middle click (middle button is configured scrolling like here https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ka ... cGc=/?ref=) and that tpmiddle works (aka middle clic)

Convcerning drivers:
From this page http://www.ibmfiles.com/pages/sk88xx.htm, there are drivers for xp and vista. THe original IBm driver is here https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview. ... MIGR-63629

Here is listed the drivers for 7 8.1 10 https://martin.iturbide.com/2013/07/thi ... board.html
but lenovo has removed them. Can you upload them again ?