Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Computer died during Windows Updates

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
rebop
Freshman Member

Computer died during Windows Updates

#1 Post by rebop » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi folks,
First a rundown of my issues and how I got here, then a few question targeted to this and other forums I have posted this in. Apologize for being long and some info off topic for this forum….

Tuesday night I was doing the patch Tuesday Windows update on my primary computer, a docked Lenovo W530 workstation which happens to act as the hub of my network for shared printers, etc. During the reboot, the computer lost power. Once that happened, I could no longer boot the computer.
I get a series of 4 sets of 4 quick beeps. Best I can find, this indicates a bad Security Chip. I tried several fixes including draining the BIOS by disconnecting the backup battery, etc. Took into a recommended repair facility that ignored everything I told them and took all apart to test and decided I need a new motherboard. Perhaps. I would not have them do the work if this is what I choose.

I do have backups made with Storage Craft ShadowProtect but always a little dicey doing a full restore as I question some settings I need to choose, but that is part of the good news. Hopefully a post in the StorageCraft forums will tell me what I might have forgotten

So, questions for here:

1. Any way to fix this short of a new motherboard?
2. Any recommended place to have this done if not that is quality and reasonable in cost? I'm in SF Peninsula if it matters.
3. Is it really possible that a Windows Update failure could cause a motherboard failure or is this just an amazing coincidence like a timing belt breaking just as you get a flat tire?
4. Since the Windows Updates never completed, might it when the drive is put back in to a working computer or is it likely in bad shape?
5. Any way to regain a working drive if so short of completely restoring from backups?
6. Can I mount this drive as a non-boot drive with a SSD drive to USB dongle to look and see if there is file structure damage or is that risky and not recommended?
7. Assume the drive is working, what happens if I put into a new computer with different driver, video card, etc? Will it work and update drivers or have issues?

Thanks. I feel like I lost my best friend and would really like to get them back.

Thanks for reading and replying.

~Bob
~Bob

TankPad
Sophomore Member

Re: Computer died during Windows Updates

#2 Post by TankPad » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 pm

You could try booting a Linux USB stick (porteus etc) and see what happens. Can you still access the BIOS? Try doing a memory diagnostic also, if possible.
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

rebop
Freshman Member

Re: Computer died during Windows Updates

#3 Post by rebop » Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks, but no. Never gets to POST so no BIOS access at all.

~Bob
~Bob