Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

cloning a hard drive vs making an ISO image

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
paulwece

cloning a hard drive vs making an ISO image

#1 Post by paulwece » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 am

I bought a ThinkPad. Currently I'm at college where I can get a download Windows 10 for free from the school bookstore, along with other software.
In case one day I get a virus, I might want to do a "factory reinstall". Back in the old days if one has a copy of Windows they can reinstall it after reformatting the hard drive and the computer would be exactly as newly bought.

If I make an image of a hard drive and store it in an external hard drive, will this allow me to achieve the same thing but without the hassles of reinstalling all the software (I can't after I graduate)?

As for cloning, that'll also work except I make a copy to another hard drive and I can just swap it in if I need it?
thanks

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: cloning a hard drive vs making an ISO image

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 am

When I upgraded from the stock 320GB on my X220, I cloned its contents to the new 1TB HDD, then increased the partition size after making sure that the data was copied properly. I kept the old HDD in a box for insurance in case the new HDD suddenly died.

I know other members in this forum have used disk images to restore their OS installation following HDD replacement or upgrade. Let's wait for their input, especially regarding software recommendations.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

paulwece

#3 Post by paulwece » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks. I got a 1 Tb external hard drive collecting dust right now. I think my preferred method is to create an image of the hard drive and store it on the external drive. Windows have this capability built in right? I don't need any special software for this?

After I get an ISO image on my external hard drive, and let's say later I get a virus and I just want to nuke everything and start over, how can I get the ISO image on an external hard drive onto the hard drive of the computer?

Thanks

jaspen-meyer

#4 Post by jaspen-meyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm

paulwece wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:36 pm
After I get an ISO image on my external hard drive, and let's say later I get a virus and I just want to nuke everything and start over, how can I get the ISO image on an external hard drive onto the hard drive of the computer?
I use Clonezilla for cloning, and restoring, drives.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 pm

jaspen-meyer wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm
I use Clonezilla for cloning, and restoring, drives.
I used Clonezilla as well -- booted to Parted Magic from UBCD 5.21 (it's old but it's what's burned in my flash drive), then ran Clonezilla from there.

This topic thread has some recommendations on cloning and disk imaging software.

Hope it helps. :D
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: