Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Xeon versus i7 in P51?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
hellosailor

Xeon versus i7 in P51?

#1 Post by hellosailor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm a little out of date on processors so I'm looking for some current hard information.

The Xeon's are workstation and server processors. Used to be two physical CPU's on the same board with high speed direct pipes between them. As opposed to the i7, which seems to have dropped from 8 cores in one package, to four cores each timesharing two threads to pretend they are eight cores.

What's the deal now? Is a dual(?) Xeon P51 going to outperform an i7, given an OS like Win10 which can support multiple threads and processes, and rashly assuming that apps might also support multiple threads and cores? Or, that one of the CPU's will be at an advantage when I've got one core doing a malware scan, another running the background resident AV, a third one rendering in Photoslop... ?

And do Xeon's create compatibility issues these days? Or is Win10 smart enough to get away with "ignore the CPU behind the curtain" and letting the HAL make everything place nice?

Intel has a nice CPU comparison web page, I know, but I couldn't get it to run Xeon-vs-i7, just "same vs same" of either kind.
"The only good silicon life form, is a dead silicon life form." [Will Rogers]
-- Harboring a retired T61P with Vista/U/32 and housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Xeon versus i7 in P51?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:40 pm

1: There is only ONE processor. Sorry, but this isnt 1992 anymore and you put two 386s in one tower to make a dual core.

2: 4 cores 3.9Ghz i7 vs 4 cores 4.2Ghz Xeon. Really, its not a true xeon. A real xeon had ALOT of cores(12+) at a low clockspeed(~2GHz). Really, difference should be better but not by much.

For a full comparison, visit the PSREF for the P51 here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... MStKK_Pu5g
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.