Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What are your tricks for small resolutions?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
alberizo

What are your tricks for small resolutions?

#1 Post by alberizo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 am

Hi everyone.

Is my first post in the forum, I'm from Spain. Four or five years ago I bougth my first Thinkpad, a x220s, I was very happy with that TP but is slow for my present requirements, so I have bougth a x230 but I don't like too much the resolution. In x200s was 1280x800, small but acceptable, in x230 is 1366x768, hmmmm width is OK, but height? why is smaller!! Only are 32pixels but are just pixels to get hidden elements in some apps like Photoshop or Premiere. I know this laptop is not the best for photo or video editing, but that's how things are....

So.... finding solutions.
I know there are a mod to install a Full HD in x230 but nowadays I don't wanna spend ¿100€? more in this laptop.

I was looking for software solutions and I found someones.
My first idea was... Is there any hack to get bigger resolutions?
https://superuser.com/questions/50501/c ... 833#406833
I tried but it didn't work.

And... what about a hack to change DPI
http://daniel.serbanescu.dk/reduce_the_ ... n_windows/
It did not work either

So I was looking for more and more and I found CRU (Custom-Resolution-Utility). It seemed very interesing, hack the resolution from monitor drivers. Only works in ATI, Nvidia and any integrated Intel graphics. Mine is 4000 HD, so.... let's try it.
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU
And.... nope. It didn't work for me :(

Dipping on the internet.... I found Infinite Screen. This software allow scroll your desktop, if you have a window overflow the limit of screen you can do scroll.
http://ynea.futureware.at/cgi-bin/infinite_screen.pl

It's nice but no for everything. So I thougth.... why don't implement Microsoft the Linux funcionality of move any window while click everywhere and holding down Alt key? And... dipping more I found a software do that!! AltDrag
https://stefansundin.github.io/altdrag/

I like too much this application, so when a window overflow the down limit of the screen I can move upper of the monitor up limit.

I hope this information could help someone and I hope hear your tricks to this problem.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What are your tricks for small resolutions?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:39 am

Another 'help' to get more screen height is to move the taskbar from the bottom to the side.

With a mouse left-click on an empty portion of the taskbar, hold down that button, then drag the mouse pointer to where you want the taskbar.
Works this way in Windows.

For Linux (KDE) I found this: right click on the cashew on the right end of the panel -> right click and hold "screen edge" (the middle top of the pop up) -> drag it to the right/left side
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

You could always put an HD+ LCD in with nitrocasters mod.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Nope, that would be an FHD (1920x1080) screen, but you could run that at 1600x900 (I do).
A 12.5" HD+ (1600x900) screen has never been found anywhere.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:29 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 pm
Nope, that would be an FHD (1920x1080) screen, but you could run that at 1600x900 (I do).
A 12.5" HD+ (1600x900) screen has never been found anywhere.
Sorry about the confusion. I meant '+' as in greater. He could put in something more than HD(1366x768). As a quick panelook search comes up dry. It's odd how they never made a 12.5" 900p display.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

alberizo

#6 Post by alberizo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for ideas.
Of couse a external screen always is an option, but I need to be portable :D

RealBlackStuff. Great idea about taskbar, finally I configured it as auto hide. I don't like it, but I win lot of pixels.

I reduced title font size and menu font size in Windows. I won 5 height pixels, yeahhh I know, 5 pixels are sh¡t, but are free!! :mrgreen:
I won more pixels reducing size of some Windows items with WinaeroTweaker.