Whitelist unlock AND custom bootlogo?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Ryccardo

Whitelist unlock AND custom bootlogo?

#1 Post by Ryccardo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Official firmware updates are normally in the .FL1 format and flashed via IBM/Lenovo's official frontend, which supports integrating LOGO.MOD on the fly.

Modified bioses, at least for T61 and X201, are in the .ROM format and flashed directly via Phoenix's tools; they almost invariably have the usual (Lenovo) "ThinkPad" logo.

Is it somehow possible to flash a custom firmware together with a custom logo?
X201 (i5, 8GB, 480GB)
T61 + Advanced Mini Dock

Ryccardo

Re: Whitelist unlock AND custom bootlogo?

#2 Post by Ryccardo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 am

Just tried successfully: Apparently the newest versions of WinPhlash64 still support the /L:filename.mod argument, despite it having been removed from the documentation...

The .mod file can be generated with the tools included in the matching official update...

...and this website, http://2008-deep-blue.tea-nifty.com/blo ... -e301.html, has the original IBM logo :thumbs-UP:
X201 (i5, 8GB, 480GB)
T61 + Advanced Mini Dock

FryPpy

#3 Post by FryPpy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 am

Ryccardo wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 am
Just tried successfully
But how to kill Lenovo logo from original IBM's one?
Have done some experiments and can't succeed.
Have opened BIOS image with phoenix BIOS editor and have found some images for Intel and Lenovo logos but have't tried to clear them from BIOS.

Ryccardo

#4 Post by Ryccardo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am

FryPpy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 am
But how to kill Lenovo logo from original IBM's one?
Have done some experiments and can't succeed.
Have opened BIOS image with phoenix BIOS editor and have found some images for Intel and Lenovo logos but have't tried to clear them from BIOS.
Good question (you decompressed the bios and found the flipped LOGOxx.bmp, just to be sure?)
(The LOGOxx.pgx files are a proprietary compressed format, that can be opened with http://biosgfx.narod.ru/download/abr2-0.16.zip, used in our computers for the symbols in the firmware/disk password screen)

The official way to generate the main logo involves building a partial bios including only the logo and the bootblock, then deleting all products except logo.mod (open logo.bat and logo.scr in a text editor to try to understand), but I don't think the other LOGOxx.xxx files are inside logo.mod - I actually should try extracting the logos again from the backup of a custom-logo bios to see if LOGO0D has changed!

I don't know where the Intel logo comes from, but something part of LOGO10 through 13 are apparently the black layer between Intel and the main image - LOGO0F is the black layer under the optional "Press Thinkvantage/Entering Setup/Boot Menu" lines

To be honest the Lenovo logo is dim I don't find it distracting, now if the main logo was fullscreen...

-----
Update:

For the new readers, the most proper tool to extract a .rom/.wph is available at www.endeer.cz/bios.tools/ (phnxsplit from the 2nd to last link + old cygwin runtime from top of page), or Andy's Tool which tries to rename extensions to more practical ones

LOGO00: custom logo [BMP] (if none, 1x1 white bitmap)
LOGO01: bios user password [PG/PGX (PG is the codec, PGX its conventional extension)]
LOGO02: circled-arrow-OK [PG]
LOGO03: crossed-hand (too many Xes) [PG]
LOGO04: X (wrong password count) [PG]
LOGO05: dot (password character) [PG]
LOGO06: ATA disk 1 password [PG]
LOGO07: ATA disk 2 password [PG]
LOGO08: ATA disk 3 password [PG]
LOGO09: ATA disk 4 (!) password [PG]
LOGO0A: bios supervisor password [PG]
LOGO0B: ... (unused?) [PG]
LOGO0C: ATA disk supervisor password (used together with 6~9) [PG]
LOGO0D: original Thinkpad logo (upside down) [BMP]
LOGO0E: that famous Lenovo logo (flipped) [BMP]
LOGO0F through 13: black (for covering up assorted stuff, somewhat explained above) [BMP]
X201 (i5, 8GB, 480GB)
T61 + Advanced Mini Dock