Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

thinkpad battery issues

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
seraphin

thinkpad battery issues

#1 Post by seraphin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:10 pm

I have an old thinkpad - E420, that has been running fine.
The battery is now dead. On the battery, it reads (10.8V, 48W, 25+).
I cannot find the same model but have come across newer battery with higher Watts (10.8V, 57W, 70+)
The new battery fits in the socket but I am not sure if 48W v 57W and 25+ v 70+ would cause any problems.
Specifically, both batteries read "caution: replace with the same type only. Use of another battery may present a fire or explosion".

Any suggestion ?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: thinkpad battery issues

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 pm

The 70+ is identical to the 25+ except for having a security chip. It will work no problem with your E420 but it also can work in the E430 as well unlike the 25+ which will not since the laptop will not accept any battery without a security chip. I run 70+ batteries all the time in my T420 and T520. Plus it has the benefit of more capacity :D .
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.