Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Turn off "battery has failed due to normal wear" message

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
tyr3ll

Turn off "battery has failed due to normal wear" message

#1 Post by tyr3ll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm getting the above message (was fixed once while still under warranty, now out of warranty and failed again). I've found lots of other threads discussing it where people are talking about whether it's really failed, how to fix or hack the battery, etc. All I want to know is whether there's a way to disable the message. It's annoying AF, it pops up randomly, sometimes just a few minutes apart. And it comes to the front every time, so it interferes with whatever I'm doing at the time.

I'm debating whether to bother fixing it or just buy a new laptop. I'm thinking that's the way to go. But in the meantime, I just want the message to stop.

TYIA

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Turn off "battery has failed due to normal wear" message

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Ummm.....which machine do you have? And how old is the battery? What have you been doing with it? We don't have enough information to help you.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

tyr3ll

#3 Post by tyr3ll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Thinkpad Yoga 12. The battery is probably 2 years old, assuming they put a new one in on the previous repair. I'm actually not sure they replaced the battery, it may have been a motherboard fix or something.
What have you been doing with it?
Licking it. Is that a problem? :D

Normal laptop use. But again, I'm not looking to repair it at this point. I just want the messages to go away. I would think that's in the settings somewhere. I did try going to the device manager and disabling the battery, but that didn't help.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm

tyr3ll wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 pm
Thinkpad Yoga 12. The battery is probably 2 years old, assuming they put a new one in on the previous repair. I'm actually not sure they replaced the battery, it may have been a motherboard fix or something.
The battery shouldn't have failed. Go into a administrative command line(right click cmd and click run as administrator) and do this command: powercfg /energy duration 2. Then open the energyreport.html my typing energy-report.html . Scroll down to the battery section and see what the last full charge capacity was.
tyr3ll wrote:
Licking it. Is that a problem? :D
Wouldn't say its the best for the battery, or you. :mrgreen:
tyr3ll wrote:
Normal laptop use. But again, I'm not looking to repair it at this point. I just want the messages to go away. I would think that's in the settings somewhere. I did try going to the device manager and disabling the battery, but that didn't help.
When that happens, it basically means the battery decided to give up the ghost, or more specifically the controller chip on it. Today it decided enough is enough and it doesn't want to work anymore. It isn't normal for it to fail after only two years, but its possible. You could take out the battery if you run it off AC power all the time but otherwise I don't know how to shut off the message or if the battery will charge again.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by TuuS » Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 am

Simple solution is removed the battery, a better fix would be to Simply replace the battery. I don't have much experience with this series but it sounds like your battery overheat it and was shut down to prevent fire. This was a common problem with older series and the best solution was to set your charge thresholds in Lenovo Power Manager to prevent the battery from charging to 100%. I have batteries from 2007 that still work great because I don't constantly top them off. Mine usually start charging at 70% and stop at 90%. You can get very long battery life this way if you don't need to run off of battery often. In your case it sounds like you do not even need to use the battery but it's always best to have one it can't prevent a low voltage condition so it works like a power backup UPS as well as keeping your system from crashing should the power failure