Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What to do with dead 28++ slice batteries?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
m11k

What to do with dead 28++ slice batteries?

#1 Post by m11k » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Through some bad luck on eBay, I've wound up with 5 seemingly unused, but dead, 28++ batteries. They won't take a charge (tried T430, W530, and TP external charger). There's 0V coming off of the charging port. Out of curiosity, I opened one up and measured ~1V across each of the cells (3V across the whole battery). I don't have any interest in trying to re-cell them myself, plus the low voltage fuse is probably blown. Any idea what I should do with these? It seems like it is too much of a specialized item to just throw away (or rather bring to the recycling center). It would be great if someone could make use of them, or if there was some way to have them repaired.

I also have a dead 19+ slice for an X230 (also a dead eBay buy).

atagunov

Re: What to do with dead 28++ slice batteries?

#2 Post by atagunov » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:47 am

Those are certainly interesting pieces you've got there.. Out of interest do you see a small square chip labelled M37512 in the battery that you did open? Or a chip with "BQ" in the name somewhere? I'm trying to gauge what controller they may have. How easy does it seem to close the battery once you have opened it? It's probably a bit of a challenge with regular batteries, no idea about slice ones.

I feel like I might want to have some of the batts, especially the X230 one but then it's probably just greed and it's not very practical given I'm in the UK. Probably totally impossible with cells still in.
X220, 2 *T520

m11k

#3 Post by m11k » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm

I haven't tried to open the X230 battery (19+), only the T430 (28++). Unfortunately the chip is on the underside of the PCB, and I didn't want to completely disassemble it. There's an interesting looking switch on the right side of the circuit board that seems like it's meant to detect when it is removed from the casing. https://imgur.com/a/IInuE1P

Taking it apart and putting it back together again wasn't too hard. Looks nearly good as new. I think you can ship lithium ion batteries from the US to the UK, but it might be cost prohibitive. If you're curious, I can try to crack open the X230 battery.

atagunov

#4 Post by atagunov » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:16 pm

m11k wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm
There's an interesting looking switch on the right side of the circuit board that seems like it's meant to detect when it is removed from the casing
That would be truly diabolically vicious!
m11k wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm
I think you can ship lithium ion batteries from the US to the UK, but it might be cost prohibitive
I was thinking about X230 batt via UPS mainly.. Possibly with the cells ripped out.. That may kill the fuse of course and will definitely put controller into a state it will need to be unlocked from but I have some ideas. If I was super greedy I would ask for 2 batts: big and small both without cells :)
X220, 2 *T520

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 am

Check what they charge nowadays: https://www.ipsparcel.com/
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!

atagunov

#6 Post by atagunov » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:26 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 am
Check what they charge nowadays: https://www.ipsparcel.com/
Wow! You're right Dominic. From a random US postcode - some Springfield VA - to Richmond in Great Britain I got quoted $60 for 10 inch by 3 inch by 2 inch 1lbs parcel :( I was hoping to get the whole thing over (1 or 2 batteries without cells) for under £15/$19 which is the tax free limit in the UK. And USPS has given us a dreadful service this year once already..
X220, 2 *T520