Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

is the button above keyboard the only way to turn a ThinkPad on?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
angelofthesouth1

is the button above keyboard the only way to turn a ThinkPad on?

#1 Post by angelofthesouth1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:42 pm

I would guess this question gets asked periodically and is possibly already posted. The only way I'm aware of to turn on a Thinkpad is by pressing the power button on the top center (or somewhere nearby, on some models) of the keyboard. Trouble is, what if you would like to simultaneously look inside and observe whether the fan is spinning properly? You just can't? I have my non-functioning X201 in mind, but the question could apply to any ThinkPad I know of (except hypothetical models I haven't seen where the button where the button possibly doesn't require the keyboard).

Obviously, if I want to peek at the fan, and the computer isn't working (the indicators show it's trying to start, but the screen remains blank), I have to remove the keyboard. But if I remove the keyboard during or before attempting to turn the X201 on...I can't turn it on. A conundrum, unless there's another method that I don't know.

Screamer

Re: is the button above keyboard the only way to turn a ThinkPad on?

#2 Post by Screamer » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Woops (ignore previous post), the X200 UltraBase might have a power button for your needs. You could then dock it to the UltraBase and turn it on from there.

angelofthesouth1

#3 Post by angelofthesouth1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:42 pm

I vaguely realize that I'm simply bumping into the inherent limitations of a laptop.

dr_st

#4 Post by dr_st » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:15 pm

On most Thinkpads I know, the keyboard is connected to the system board via a cable which has some length. So it's possible to remove the keyboard from the chassis in a way that makes the fan visible, without disconnecting it.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Vopu
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Vopu » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:24 am

Hi , obviously wont help if you dont have boot , or at least bios but i have seen a post about this on reddit with two possible ways :roll: (if/depending on) it suits your situation.
-Taking the RTC battery out than plugging the AC forces the bios to update the RTC clock , in return forces a boot
-Once /if you have access to bios , under config/power you have power on when ac attached, perhaps to be set up for future problems.
I have not tried any of these and just saying as may/may not work depending on the situation /problem and unit used.
Regards
Vopu