Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Questions about upgrading an old thinkpad's motherboard, screen, etc.

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
vacuumchamber

Questions about upgrading an old thinkpad's motherboard, screen, etc.

#1 Post by vacuumchamber » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:13 pm

I am aware that Thinkpads can have their screens changed no problem. But what I'm really wondering is why can't modern(er) hardware be fitted into an older Thinkpad's chassis, while supporting the screen, keyboard, etc. Is it due to the motherboard's size, that it can't fit? Or due to some bios things?

My goal really would be to retrofit a modern(er) motherboard into an older thinkpad, like the T61, also upgrading its screen. Perhaps this is a silly question, but I'm really curious about this.

I know there are independent folks like 51cb who do things like this, so it seems possible. But how could I do this myself?

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Questions about upgrading an old thinkpad's motherboard, screen, etc.

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:12 pm

IBM and Lenovo spend millions producing these devices. Engineering, manufacturing, materials, logistics. Amazingly there are folks who have designed replacement motherboards that for the most part function, see the T62, T600, X210, X62 projects. But these developments lack the support network and credibility of the OEMs and the few individuals behind these projects tend to disappear for long periods of time as life demands them away.

By the way screens are not universally plug and play. There may occur unintended side effects with non-OEM screens.

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Questions about upgrading an old thinkpad's motherboard, screen, etc.

#3 Post by theterminator93 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:39 pm

Big manufacturers don't make all the parts themselves. They outsource most of the components to those with the facilities to produce them - specialized companies with the capacity and focus to produce quantity at low margins. Think of the likes of FoxConn, NMB, Alps, Chicony, Sanyo, Hydis, LG, etc. They provide the technical specifications and the suppliers deliver the parts, which the PC manufacturer then assembles and markets.

When a system is designed the industry as a whole dictates what screens can be used, and this is what systems are designed around. If a new model is to be made, the PC manufacturer is limited to what panel manufacturers will be making when that model is produced. If the industry isn't making 15" 4:3 displays and a PC manufacturer wants to make a laptop with that screen, the panel manufacturers certainly aren't going to drop everything and start making them again. R&D costs, tooling, and starting a production run would cost many millions; they won't invest in a new product line if long term outlooks don't justify the risk/investment.

When multiple manufacturers start moving in a direction for a new form factor (e.g. we're now getting back to 16:10 screens), it's easier for a panel manufacturer to start investing in it because there is a diversity to the market and less risk of a loss.

Fortunately custom PCBs is not at all a difficult thing to manufacture because the equipment is already set up for doing all the C&C work. That's where you see all these 51nb customs - there's obviously someone with the training and experience to lay out a design and all the components, who has access to a manufacturer for those designs.

Screens have 2 broad factors to consider when looking at compatibility:

1) Physical characteristics. Does it physically fit/match the space available? Width and height, but also depth and location of mount points.
2) Video signaling. Older screens used LVDS signaling - mixed and matched with varying power sources for CCFL or LED backlights. About 10 years ago eDP signaling replaced LVDS - but even this isn't universal. Older eDP have limited signal bandwidth and higher resolutions screens demand more signal lanes.

Hopefully this helps you understand why what you're asking about hasn't been done to the broad extent your post implies.
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C