Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Dock Stations how does the ethernet connection get to the laptop?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
Nansin

Lenovo Dock Stations how does the ethernet connection get to the laptop?

#1 Post by Nansin » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:55 am

I decided to buy a ThinkPad Carbon X1 Gen 10 laptop and am doing some configuration of it and dealing with the order details. One of the things that got me was that it doesn't have and onboard Ethernet connection — a computer without and Ethernet connection what good is that. (I checked other manufacturers and found that this seems to be pretty well normal nowadays.)

Because of that I need to find a way of connecting this laptop to the internet, other than using Wi-Fi. It seems that one option is to purchase a Dock (station). On the order page at Lenovo there are seven docks offered. There are USB-C docks and Thunderbolt docks. Looking at them it seems that only the Thunderbolt docks offer the ability to plug in an Ethernet cable into the dock — I can't see if the USB-C docks offer this functionality at all. However, having read the user manual for the ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock - UK/HK/SGP/MYS I just do not understand how this works. If I plug an Ethernet cable into the dock how does the data stream from the internet connection travel from the dock to the laptop? Can someone please enlighten me of this as I just cannot see how this works? Does the internet data stream pass down through the Thunderbolt cable that connects the laptop to the dock?

Also, do any of the Lenovo USB-C docks offer this internet connection functionality? And could someone explain the major differences between a USB-C dock and the Thunderbolt dock?

And, lastly, does anyone know of and would recommend a dock from another manufacturer that offers better functionality than the Lenovo docks at a competitive price?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Lenovo Dock Stations how does the ethernet connection get to the laptop?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:11 am

There is a USB-C to Ethernet adapter: https://smartfind.lenovo.com/accessorie ... 4X90Q84427
Worked on X1C Gen 8, might also work on Gen 10.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Nansin

#3 Post by Nansin » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am

Thanks very much for the response. I already had a look at adaptors of the type you point to; there are a great many of them available on Amazon. However, in the end I think I will need a docking station so I'm still very much interested in the information I request in my first post.

Above said I've done a bit more digging around and found that if (as at the date of writing this) I order the ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock - UK/HK/SGP/MYS at the Accessories page of the configuration options while configuring and ordering the laptop I will pay £301.74 for the unit. However, if I entirely order it as a separate/discrete order then the price I would pay would be £259.99 — so its £41.75 cheaper ordering it separately. Wow! That's quite a difference in price and it seems a lesson in digging around a bit if ordering Lenovo equipment.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:57 pm

The Thunderbolt/USB-C docks have an Ethernet controller built in. I believe it's a Realtek USB Ethernet controller.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Nansin

#5 Post by Nansin » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:12 pm

Yes, thank you dr_st. In research I've managed to find that out. Also with some research I found that I can get a Thunderbolt dock and it will only be £4.99 more expensive than the USB-C dock, so it's a no-brainer just to opt for the Thunderbolt dock.

However, information I am still missing, and I haven't been able to find anything on the subject, is how does the data stream for the internet/Ethernet get from the dock to the ThinkPad? Does the data stream come down/up the Thunderbolt cable? I guess I mean that the theory of the usefulness of a dock is that one cable (in this case a Thunderbolt cable) connects the dock to the ThinkPad. If that theory holds then every device connected to the dock must be sending data back and forth up the Thunderbolt cable. But that would be, I think, multiple data streams doing different tasks all coming up/down a single cable and I'm not sure how that works. Or have I got this all wrong in my understanding?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm

Nansin wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:12 pm
Does the data stream come down/up the Thunderbolt cable?
Yes.
Nansin wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:12 pm
But that would be, I think, multiple data streams doing different tasks all coming up/down a single cable and I'm not sure how that works.
It works because the USB-C and Thunderbolt standards allow multiplexing multiple protocols (DisplayPort/HDMI, PCI-Express and USB) through the same cable.

Incidentally, RealBlackStuff has been maintaining a topic with links to very in-depth surveys of USB-C and Thunderbolt technology. This will answer all of your questions on the subject so far, and much more:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=134730
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Nansin

#7 Post by Nansin » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:35 pm

dr_st wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm
(Yes.) It works because the USB-C and Thunderbolt standards allow multiplexing multiple protocols (DisplayPort/HDMI, PCI-Express and USB) through the same cable.
Thank you so much, that is the information I am after! I can order the ThinkPad now and it gives me a day to decide if I purchase a Lenovo dock at a good discount or a dock from another manufacturer with either better specs and/or a more competitive price.

The other information/thread that you point to I will read when I get a bit more time. Thank you again.