Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

New SSD opt. for T4x : mSATA-to-IDE adapter ST663FD9 *PICS*

T4x series specific matters only
Yetanfou

Re: New SSD opt. for T4x : mSATA-to-IDE adapter ST663FD9 *P

#121 Post by Yetanfou » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:35 pm

GACrabill wrote:I don't remember reading of anyone successfully using an Intel SSD with an IDE adapter.
I don't know about Windows, but on Linux I have no problems with TRIM on an Intel (520 series, 120 GB) SSD through an 'ebay-special' PATA-SATA adapter. For those interested in the gritty details, here is the relevant output for the hdparm -I (that is a capital i, 'Detailed/current information directly from drive') command:

Code: Select all

ATA device, with non-removable media
	Model Number:       INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3                     
	Firmware Revision:  400i    
Commands/features:
	Enabled	Supported:
	   *	Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 1 block)
	   *	Deterministic read data after TRIM
The drive fits in the drive bay with the adapter plugged between drive and motherboard. There is no need (nor space) for a drive cage but you'll need to move the optional black plastic distance ring from the top of the drive to the bottom to get the connectors to align. Use a drive bay lid from a T42 (minus the 'p') and you should be set, alternatively adapt the existing T42p lid by removing the extraneous metal and plastic bits. When pulling out the drive, the adapter stays in place in the PATA socket on the motherboard, effectively turning the T42p into a SATA-capable machine.

I used this adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-Female-to- ... 0794425758?

I ordered three of them, one of them arrived with a loose component in the little plastic bag. As I have an SMD rework station I'll just solder it back in place, but it does make you wonder about the 'QC passed|OK' sticker.

There is a jumper on the adapter, probably a master/slave option. This jumper (which is installed on new adapters) needs to be removed and the pins need to be bent down for the drive to work and fit in a T42p, with the jumper in place the drive light just stays lit and the drive is not recognised.

With this drive in place, the T42p boots in a few seconds (after the BIOS delay) to the display manager/login screen. It did not do any speed tests, the thing is fast and that is enough.

Total expenditure to get this T42p to accept SATA drives: 23 Swedish kronor (about 2.5€, $3 in US dollars). Not bad.

coors

#122 Post by coors » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 pm

@automobus The Aleratec frame has 11 holes. 2x on each side and 7x more on the back. Here's an image:

@ajkula66 I put the Aleratec adapter in the T41s caddy and it went right in, no problem. As for XP being non-friendly with SSD, do you know of any work arounds or should I be thinking Win-7 instead?

@GACrabill I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that SLC drives don't need garbage collection, so is TRIM really needed with this Intel 313 mSATA drive?

@Yetanfou Thanks for pointing out that interesting option and for opening my eyes to the Intel 520 SATA SSD. Would you have a benchmark that you can share?
Last edited by coors on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yetanfou

#123 Post by Yetanfou » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

coors wrote:@Yetanfou Thanks for pointing out that interesting option and for opening my eyes to the Intel 520 SATA SSD. Would you have a benchmark that you can share?
I did not run any specific benchmark software as the thing is 'fast enough' to my liking. A very rough estimate (using hdparm and dd) gives about 95 MB/s, both read and write on raw device access (>800 MB/s buffered but that is not that interesting...). The bottleneck is clearly the PATA interface, something which is not going to change. Nor does it have to, the gain would be marginal at best given that the CPU is barely able to keep up as it is...

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#124 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:19 pm

coors wrote:@ajkula66 I put the Aleratec adapter in the T41s caddy and it went right in, no problem. As for XP being non-friendly with SSD, do you know of any work arounds or should I be thinking Win-7 instead?
I'd go with W7...it's time for XP to be laid to rest. Seriously.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

Work in progress: X60T

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

coors

#125 Post by coors » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:04 pm

While researching the subject of TRIM I came across this very detailed SSD page.

Though it is a Linux driven piece it has some extremely important information that is useful for all platforms. If I had read this first I probably would not have ordered the older Intel 313 SLC mSATA drive, as I really have no idea whether it supports TRIM or not.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#126 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:42 pm

coors wrote:While researching the subject of TRIM I came across this very detailed SSD page.

Though it is a Linux driven piece it has some extremely important information that is useful for all platforms. If I had read this first I probably would not have ordered the older Intel 313 SLC mSATA drive, as I really have no idea whether it supports TRIM or not.
Well... If you're setting up the machine based on the linked page, your biggest problem will be the lack of AHCI setting which is not found in T4x BIOS. As for the 313, it does support TRIM AFAIK.

Cheers,

coors

#127 Post by coors » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 pm

You're right! I finally found, on Intels 313 spec. sheet, that the 313 does indeed support TRIM. I couldn't be more pleased.

coors

#128 Post by coors » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Here's the benchmark for this T41 using the 60GB Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm HDD w/ Win-XP:

Here's this T41's benchmark using 24GB Intel 313 mSATA SSD w/ Win-XP:

As far as I know neither of these drives is aligned. I tried several times to align the SSD using GParted, but if I aligned the partition and then tried to install XP without letting XP's setup format it to NTFS, it was already formatted to NTFS with GParted, then after copying some files and restarting it would not boot to complete the installation.
Since TRIM is not supported in XP, I'm running the Intel Toolbox ap. "Optimizer", weekly, to see how it goes. I'll be reading up more on disk-alignment and ways to optimize XP running on SSD. I may end up putting Linux on here eventually, especially since distros are supposed to support TRIM, but for now I want to really see how bad XP works on SSD.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#129 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:27 pm

coors wrote:I may end up putting Linux on here eventually, especially since distros are supposed to support TRIM, but for now I want to really see how bad XP works on SSD.
Nice improvement. You're in luck because a SLC drive will take much more of a beating than a MLC - let alone a TLC - one before the performance starts degrading...

Cheers,

coors

#130 Post by coors » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm

ajkula66 wrote:...a SLC drive will take much more of a beating than a MLC - let alone a TLC - one before the performance starts degrading...
This agrees 100% with all that I read/gathered before buying the SLC mSATA drive. I forgot to add that I had swapped the PM 755 2.0GHz processor for a PM 765 2.1GHz, before installing the Intel 313, operating system, etc. So that may have affected the numbers, too.

KrypteX

#131 Post by KrypteX » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:59 am

Guys, I think I've found how to slave-mod the JMicron JM20330 bridge found in the mSATA-ZIF and other SATA-IDE adapters.
According to Section 5.5, page 19 of the JMicron JM20330 manual, https://mega.co.nz/#!p0kgSZrT!hwWPU2hXL ... dosg4-JU9I the SATA-IDE bridge is in Host Bridge Mode 110 (PIN20 and PIN19 both = 1, while PIN18 = 0).

PIN #33 called MSSEL (Master/Slave Selection) is connected to 0 via the 0-ohm resistor, see here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!w8swxTTS!hgNqheGrx ... MeIQTcOIww

Because the adapter is set to Master from factory, it means this is Device 0 mode as specified in the manual.

Setting PIN #33 to 1 should put the bridge in Device 1 mode (i.e. Slave). The problem is that the manual does not have a complete pin listing and it doesn't state how to specifically set Device 1 mode. I can only assume it can be accomplished by removing that 0-ohm resistor, but this is pure speculation on my part...

What do you guys think ?

KrypteX

#132 Post by KrypteX » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 am

GACrabill wrote:The problems with Intel SSDs when using an IDE-to-microSata adapter and Win7 w/ TRIM have been discussed in this forum. The same problem may also exist when using Intel SSDs with an IDE-to-mSata adapter with Win7 w/ TRIM.

As long as you never plan to use TRIM with an Intel SSD connected to an IDE adapter, you will hopefully be okay.

I don't remember reading of anyone successfully using an Intel SSD with an IDE adapter.
Then remember my results ! 8) Here is the link to my previous post in this thread: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p733967

I will re-iterate that TRIM being passed over the SATA-IDE bridge depends on the compatibility between the bridge chip itself and the SSD controller, and not on the adapter or SSD brand, per se.

The SATA-IDE adapters on the market use various bridge chipsets: Sunplus SPIF223A, JMicron JM20330, Marvell 88SA8040 (SATA 1.5 Gb/s) and Marvell 88SA8052 (SATA 3.0 Gb/s).

--- Sunplus doesn't pass TRIM, it's the most problematic of all. Unfortunately, a lot of adapters use this chip.

--- JM20330 is OK with Samsung and Marvell controllers (found in Crucial/Micron and some Plextor/Lite-On SSDs), but doesn't pass TRIM to the Intel PC29AS21BA0 controller found in the G2 (Intel X25-M) and G3 (Intel 320) SSDs from Intel. There are also issues (freezes, BSOD) with SandForce controllers, but not with all firmware versions of those (e.g.: The SandForce-based OCZ Nocti is OK with firmware 2.15, but not with 2.22 or 2.25 - tested myself. A few posts back there is a report of TRIM failure of SF-based Intel 525 with JM20330 and then a success report of SF-based Intel 520 SSD, seemingly in conjunction with a JM20330 chip). So it's more of a "hit-or-miss" situation with JMicron JM20330 and TRIM.

--- The Marvell bridges, on the other hand, play well with most SSD controllers out there. I've tried several Intel and SandForce controller-based SSDs in a PATA-SATA optical bay caddy from Fenvi with Marvell 88SA8040 chip and it passes TRIM perfectly fine. For example, the Aleratec mSATA to IDE 2.5 adapter has the Marvell 88SA8052 inside and the users are reporting that TRIM is passed correctly: http://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-mSATA-Sp ... B00HZT4CFS

Johan
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

What *specific* Intel SATA SSD's did you try with the 88SA80

#133 Post by Johan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:52 am

KrypteX wrote:The Marvell bridges, on the other hand, play well with most SSD controllers out there. I've tried several Intel and SandForce controller-based SSDs in a PATA-SATA optical bay caddy from Fenvi with Marvell 88SA8040 chip and it passes TRIM perfectly fine. For example, the Aleratec mSATA to IDE 2.5 adapter has the Marvell 88SA8052 inside and the users are reporting that TRIM is passed correctly: http://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-mSATA-Sp ... B00HZT4CFS
KrypteX: Very, very interesting news; thanks for sharing! :thumbs-UP:

Question: You mention above (marked in red, bold, by me) that you have tried several Intel SSD's in a caddy using the Marvell 88SA8040 chip. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Lycom/Addonics/Aleratec/DeLock/Kuroutoshikou etc. adapter uses a Marvell controller (the 88SA8052-NNC2) which is a faster (SATA 3.0 Gb/s) version of the 88SA8040 (SATA 1.5 Gb/s). Could you please share what specific Intel SATA SSD's you have tried in the 88SA8040-caddy, and whether you have benchmarks available?

One reason for asking is that I have long been tempted to get an Intel 525 mSATA SSD (e.g. the SSDMCEAC120B3) that is mentioned in this post, for use in the Lycom/Addonics/Aleratec/DeLock/Kuroutoshikou etc. adapter because of the Intel 525 is being reported to be by far the fastest mSATA SSD I have yet seen in a T42/p! :wink:

Johan
IBM T42p's (2373-Q1U & -Q2U): 2.1 GHz, 15" UXGA FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB FireGL T2, 128 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate
IBM T42 (2373-N1G): 1.8 GHz, 15" SXGA+ FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 64 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#134 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:49 am

Very strange!
That same Marvell 88SA8040 chip is used in the T43/p to convert from SATA to PATA!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly! :mrgreen:
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

KrypteX

#135 Post by KrypteX » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Very strange!
That same Marvell 88SA8040 chip is used in the T43/p to convert from SATA to PATA!
True that !

KrypteX

Re: What *specific* Intel SATA SSD's did you try with the 88

#136 Post by KrypteX » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 am

Johan wrote:
KrypteX wrote:The Marvell bridges, on the other hand, play well with most SSD controllers out there. I've tried several Intel and SandForce controller-based SSDs in a PATA-SATA optical bay caddy from Fenvi with Marvell 88SA8040 chip and it passes TRIM perfectly fine. For example, the Aleratec mSATA to IDE 2.5 adapter has the Marvell 88SA8052 inside and the users are reporting that TRIM is passed correctly: http://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-mSATA-Sp ... B00HZT4CFS
Question: You mention above (marked in red, bold, by me) that you have tried several Intel SSD's in a caddy using the Marvell 88SA8040 chip. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Lycom/Addonics/Aleratec/DeLock/Kuroutoshikou etc. adapter uses a Marvell controller (the 88SA8052-NNC2) which is a faster (SATA 3.0 Gb/s) version of the 88SA8040 (SATA 1.5 Gb/s). Could you please share what specific Intel SATA SSD's you have tried in the 88SA8040-caddy, and whether you have benchmarks available?

One reason for asking is that I have long been tempted to get an Intel 525 mSATA SSD (e.g. the SSDMCEAC120B3) that is mentioned in this post, for use in the Lycom/Addonics/Aleratec/DeLock/Kuroutoshikou etc. adapter because of the Intel 525 is being reported to be by far the fastest mSATA SSD I have yet seen in a T42/p! :wink:
Johan
Johan, I have been using two Marvell 88SA8040-based IDE-SATA optical bay caddies, both from Fenvi. A 9.5 mm version in HP Compaq 2510p (which has a native IDE port on ICH8M) and another 12.7 mm version in Toshiba A200 (also native IDE port on ICH8M).
These Marvell-based caddies are rock solid for me (as opposed to several previous caddies, which were based on Sunplus SPIF223A - those are awful when TRIM is enabled). I've tested several SSDs in the Marvell 88SA8040 caddies, in both laptops under Windows 7 x64, with TRIM enabled and no issues whatsoever.
A list of the SSDs that I tried successfully:
- Crucial M4 128 GB (Marvell controller, firmware 000F)
- Micron C400 256 GB (Marvell, latest HP firmware)
- Micron C300 128 GB (Marvell, firmware 0007)
- Samsung 470 64 GB (Samsung, latest firmware)
- Samsung PM830 128 GB (Samsung controller, latest Dell firmware)
- Intel 330 180 GB (SandForce, firmware 335t and 335u)
- Sandisk Extreme 240 GB (SandForce, latest firmware)
- Intel X25-M G2 80 GB (Intel, firmware 02M3)
- Intel 320 G3 160 GB (Intel, latest firmware)

Note 1: None of the SSDs above worked with TRIM enabled in any of the Sunplus caddies.
Note 2: Regarding the JMicron JM20330 controller, that's a mixed bag -- I've written in detail a few posts back about that one (the bottom line for JM20330: stay away from Intel controller- and SandForce controller-based SSDs or use Windows XP or Windows 7 with TRIM disabled).

From my experience, I can say that you can't go wrong with the Intel 525 SSD and a Marvell-based adapter. I would, however, go with something else: Samsung 830/840 EVO, Plextor/Lite-On M5/M6, Crucial/Micron M500/M550 or even an M4/C400 would do the job - I've used the Crucial M4 for a long time (both in 2.5" and mSATA formats), fast drive and power consumption is very low. I'd stay away from SF controllers... Anyhow, there is no better IDE-SATA bridge chip than Marvell out there at the moment. Oh, disclaimer: I don't work for Marvell !! :D

coors

#137 Post by coors » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:52 pm

After reading Kryptex's post about Ultra Bay Slim caddy controllers, I did a benchmark of Win-XP on a Hitachi 5400rpm 160GB SATA drive in my no-name Ultra Bay Slim caddy/adapter. This computer is a T41. Here is that result:

Compare to Main Bay with Hitachi 7200rpm 60GB PATA drive:

Both of these drives are error free. Why are the Ultra Bay Slim caddy numbers much better, overall? I thought that the Main Bay was supposed to be faster.

KrypteX

#138 Post by KrypteX » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:46 am

I guess that's the max linear speed (~ 35 MB/s) of the older 60 GB HDD... The SATA drive is simply newer, faster.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#139 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:54 am

The larger drive has a higher data density (more GB per square inch of magnetic platter), so having a greater throughput is not unexpected.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

coors

#140 Post by coors » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Thank you for the responses to my question! I was thinking about getting an Aleratec mSATA to SATA adapter for putting an Intel 313 mSATA drive in the Ultra Bay Slim caddy for benchmarking Win XP, so as to compare with the result I obtained from the same drive in the Main Bay, via Aleratec adapter. But this would probably show little to no difference, correct!?

KrypteX

#141 Post by KrypteX » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:38 pm

coors wrote:Thank you for the responses to my question! I was thinking about getting an Aleratec mSATA to SATA adapter for putting an Intel 313 mSATA drive in the Ultra Bay Slim caddy for benchmarking Win XP, so as to compare with the result I obtained from the same drive in the Main Bay, via Aleratec adapter. But this would probably show little to no difference, correct!?
Not really. SSDs have much better 4K performance (with small files) than HDDs. Sequential values will probably be the same, though, limited by the IDE interface. OTOH, I don't really think I've properly understood your question/inquiry... Sorry if I haven't.

coors

#142 Post by coors » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:59 pm

@KrypteX Thanks, for your reply! I'm sorry, yes my last question is a bit confusing. I have already bench tested an Intel 313 SLC mSATA drive, via Aleratec mSATA to PATA adapter in the Main Bay:

Here's that result:

I'm wondering if getting an mSATA to SATA adapter, to use with the same Intel 313 mSATA drive, via the Ultra-Bay-Slim caddy, would just give the same result as above.. or would it be better or worse?

KrypteX

#143 Post by KrypteX » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Should give the same result if the IDE-SATA bridge chip in the caddy is the same with the one in Aleratec (Marvell 88SA8052 with SATA 3.0 Gb/s). Truth be told, the only Marvell chip I've encountered in an optical caddy is 88SA8040 (SATA 1.5 Gb/s). So there might be a slight speed difference, but probably not much between these two. The SSD might be a little bit faster in Aleratec than mounted in a standard Marvell-based optical caddy (via mSATA-SATA adapter).

coors

#144 Post by coors » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 pm

@Kryptex Thanks for your reply! I have an Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB SATA-II SSD on it's way. I'll load XP on it and run a benchmark. Perhaps it's performance result will help reveal which controller this UltraBay-Slim caddy has... or is there another way to tell? Here's an image:

automobus

#145 Post by automobus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:57 am

coors wrote:Perhaps it's performance result will help reveal which controller this UltraBay-Slim caddy has... or is there another way to tell?
Performance is no way to reveal which translator chip is used. Sunplus SATALink SPIF223A has a fingerprint: it modifies IDENTIFY DEVICE reserved words 236-254.

There is one way to find-out what is inside: take a screwdriver, remove screws, open it up, look inside (with your eyes or digicam set to macro mode).
Last edited by automobus on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coors

#146 Post by coors » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:23 pm

@automobus Thanks, very much, for your help! Here's what I have:

I want one with the Marvel chip, so I'll be looking for that now.

KrypteX

#147 Post by KrypteX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 am

You can check either physically or with software.

Physically: Usually the caddy PCBs marked with "e-Sun" have Sunplus chipsets. Or just totally unmount the PCB and check the chip itself.

With software: Use CrystalDiskInfo. For my SATA 3.0 Gb/s HDD in the optical caddy with Marvell 88SA8040 chip (1.5 Gb/s), it says Transfer Mode: SATA/150 | SATA/300. So yeah, the HDD is connected to the IDE-SATA bridge in SATA 1.5 Gb/s mode, even if the HDD knows 3.0 Gb/s. That's why I've been looking for an optical caddy with Marvell 88SA8052 chip (3.0 Gb/s), similar to the one found in the Aleratec IDE-mSATA adapter, but no luck until now.

coors

#148 Post by coors » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:16 pm

@KrypteX Thanks! I stopped one screw short of flipping the board over and examining the controller:

I'll check out CrystalDiskInfo too.

KrypteX

#149 Post by KrypteX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:47 pm

I wouldn't try to use TRIM on any SSD mounted in that Sunplus caddy. Yes, WinXP is a safe choice.
However, if the Intel X25-E is a G1 version -- it doesn't support TRIM -- it would probably work well with Windows 7, too.
OTOH, if it's G2 -- it supports TRIM -- it will have issues in Win 7 or later OS with TRIM enabled. The problem is that Sunplus doesn't pass TRIM and freezes the system.

coors

#150 Post by coors » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:18 pm

@KrypteX Yes, a big screw-up on my part. No TRIM and no Intel Optimizer support either, as it's 50nm.

Edit: Well, the Intel X25-E Extreme 64gb SATA II, 3gb/s, drive showed up yesterday. I wanted to see how it ran on a true 3GB/S system, so I loaded it in my 2009 Gateway LT31 with XP and it benchmarked great! I only need Win XP on one machine, so I did a secure-erase and loaded Elementary-OS on it, in the Gateway netbook, and I couldn't be happier! So this drive will remain in the netbook and I'll order another for the T41. I can live with idle-time garbage-collection. Like the post at the very top of this page, I have ordered some of the PATA-SATA connectors/adapters so that I can run one of these in the main bay of the T41. I'll just use the UltraBay-Slim caddy that I have already and an HDD for storage. As for the Aleratec-PATA-Adapter/Intel 313 mSATA drive, it now resides in an old, 2005, HP Pavilion DV5000, which is PATA too.