Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T43p experiments and analysis *pictures*

T4x series specific matters only
micrex22

T43p experiments and analysis *pictures*

#1 Post by micrex22 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:55 am

After Ajkula listed the T43p I was extremely interested to start learning about that series since I've only ever touched ThinkPads prior and after. And I was curious to observe the LED boe-hydis panel and the RBS patented SATA mod.

The very first thing I did was completely clean the chassis in and out and removed some glue. Then I needed to install the NOS JP layout keyboard that Erik kindly sold me. However upon opening there were a few things that I could improve. The first was a quick cleaning on the heatsink; it still had some of the old IBM foam that was turning to sludge. Next up was the FireGL, I was certain it could benefit from Arctic Silver instead of the vintage IBM grey paste. Be careful not to make a mess and get tiny bits between the ICs, slowly wipe it away with isopropyl alcohol.

CPU only needs a small dab because it'll spread out from the pressure-- the FireGL on the other hand... the receiving end has some dumb "thermal rubber" so I had to do the peanut butter spread:
http://i.imgur.com/mrXB6Xs.jpg

Finally the last cooling improvement was the southbridge which it is claimed that they run warm, so I applied some thermal tape and created a makeshift elongated heatsink from an I/O panel. Technically if you didn't want wireless you could put a big honking heatsink on the southbridge.
http://i.imgur.com/Goo27oL.jpg

Then it was on to testing everything prior to complete re-assembly (always test even if you think your work was flawless). This also allows you to touch heatsinks and such. Wow the T43p heatsink gets hot to the touch, but at least I can uncomfortably keep my finger on it. I guess you can always tell it to operate in balanced mode to throttle down:
http://i.imgur.com/Par1Bp0.jpg

Final reassembly and working good. I particularly like that it doesn't look all worn out with the NOS keyboard and palmrest, apparently the palm rest was made in 2009. The LED hydis panel is very soft to look-- and yes it doesn't have grey keys because they're on my T60p, I'll have to harvest some off of battered up NMB T4x keyboards:
http://i.imgur.com/WH23cZU.jpg

Ironically I only have spare 2.5" IDE HDDs (I have a lot of them... some barely used and of high capacities 200 GB+), all of my 2.5" SATAs are used up. SO, I'll borrow one from another ThinkPad for now so I can start testing OSes on it. Also I guess the SATA mod disables the HDD activity LED... too bad... as FryPpy would say, I feel like I have my hands cutted off without it.

T43 intel graphics boards don't support 1600x1200 if I recall, so it has to remain an ATI board. The T43s seemingly have way more caveats than the T60s (different keyboard assemblies, restricted to certain mobos for certain displays, and probably others I am not aware of).

---

On the tests, I want to see:
A) how fast Windows 7 / Linux can operate (I will not be running XP on it)
B) how hot it gets in operation
C) perhaps performance comparison to a T60 or T61
D) keyboard comparison with a lenovo chiclet to its superior NMB typing experience
E) thinklight comparison with other machines
~ I potentially may purchase one of the advanced docks
EDIT: F) And I almost forgot, taking apart the bone AC adapter and recapping it since it conveniently cracked open along its seam

Please let me know if you have any requests for this machine to do (or photos of something specific, as long as it doesn't require disassembling again because I have it back together).
Last edited by micrex22 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hans Gruber

Re: T43p experiments and analysis *pictures*

#2 Post by Hans Gruber » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:52 am

I think my favorite keyboard is the T410/T510/T410s. The T43 is my second favorite just slightly ahead of the T61. After that the T500. What are your thoughts on the T43 keyboard.
:beer: T43p,T61,X200,X200s,x201,T500,W500,T510,T410,T410s,T420s,T430,T430s :parrot:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:34 am

micrex22 wrote:... I was curious to observe the LED boe-hydis panel and the RBS patented SATA mod.
Did you do the LED- and SATA-mods yourself?
On a T43 with Boe-Hydis LED screen, only brightness steps 5-6-7 work, from 4 down it switches off.
That's why I never offered the LED-mod for T43/R52.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107018
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=107072

Maybe there's some hope after all. Forum member hhhd1 has made a special utility for brightness-adjustment.
It might also work on your T43, try it and let us know: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p764718
micrex22 wrote:Also I guess the SATA mod disables the HDD activity LED...
Wrong guess.
Find Southbridge ballout point AC19 on the mobo bottom and connect that to pin 39 from the old IDE-connector.
HD-LED will now work.
Only done it about 100 times...
micrex22 wrote:T43 intel graphics boards don't support 1600x1200 if I recall, so it has to remain an ATI board.
Correct.
- 14.1" screens on Intel T43 only support XGA
- 14.1" screens on ATI T43 support XGA and SXGA+
- 15" screens on Intel T43 only support XGA and SXGA+ (IPS)
- 15" screens on ATI T43 support XGA, SXGA+ (IPS) and UXGA (IPS).
Nagging problem: most resolutions require a different LCD cable and/or inverter.
The same applies to R52 machines, except the 15" SXGA+ is non-IPS.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!

micrex22

#4 Post by micrex22 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:30 am

Hans Gruber wrote:I think my favorite keyboard is the T410/T510/T410s. The T43 is my second favorite just slightly ahead of the T61. After that the T500. What are your thoughts on the T43 keyboard.
Hello again Hans,
mmmm. I'm going to say the ALPS version of the T6x keyboard. Two reasons: #1 ALPS used their own rubber bumpers for the trackpoint buttons... so they are super super crisp and responsive. Everyone else used the black detacheable cups. #2 It was the first ThinkPad keyboard I was exposed to.
With that said, I like the 'look' of the T43 keyboard the best-- and the T43p palmrest is very comfortable on the palms.
RealBlackStuff wrote:Did you do the LED- and SATA-mods yourself?
On a T43 with Boe-Hydis LED screen, only brightness steps 5-6-7 work, from 4 down it switches off.
That's why I never offered the LED-mod for T43/R52.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107018
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=107072

Maybe there's some hope after all. Forum member hhhd1 has made a special utility for brightness-adjustment.
It might also work on your T43, try it and let us know: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p764718
You did the SATA mod on this system board; I smirked when I saw the red sharpie dating the mod.

It can do 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 (1 being the dimmest, 7 being the brightest). I'm actually a bit confused about it really. If this is an LED backlit panel, it's one of the strangest I've seen. For starters it's much warmer than my T221 (generally LED screens are colder and have a super fast refresh rate associated to them). There is conflicting information about the panel. And I don't understand how the power conversion was done if so. I'd have to open the LCD panel and see what the status is of 42T0079 ~ if you would like me to do so, what would be the easiest method of removing the little screw covers without puncturing them? X-ACTO?

(completely off topic but I've discovered while looking up displays the ThinkPad 850 uses the same LCD as the transnote-- since my 850's CFL bulb is not doing good I'll steal the display out of a bad transnote I have, MUAHAHAHA! Hopefully they are the same types. Hmmm... I could also downgrade (upgrade?) it to a 640x480 LCD as well, since it uses the 701C LCD panel and I have one of those kicking around-- I love the 701C LCD panels, very unique look to them. 701CS panels on the other hand... *hurk*).
RealBlackStuff wrote: Wrong guess.
Find Southbridge ballout point AC19 on the mobo bottom and connect that to pin 39 from the old IDE-connector.
HD-LED will now work.
Only done it about 100 times...
Oh that's neat, and you're right (installing Windows 7 on it now), you did hook it up to the corresponding pin. ThinkWiki has an entry stating HDD LED is disabled and there's no way around it, they mustn't have updated it when that was found out.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:36 am

There must be some confusion here...
What's a T221?

You sure you have a LED-screen in that T43/p?
Inverter 42T0079 belongs in a T60/p and does not fit/work in a T43/p.
So it cannot be a "regular" LED-mod screen.
To check, all you need to do is remove the 4 front-bezel screw-covers (with e.g. the tip of an Xacto knife or similar) and screws.
Then lift up enough of the right bottom corner of the bezel, so that you can see the inverter.
Check it for P/N or FRU while you are at it, please.
Check if you see 4 separate thin wires leading away from that inverter (should be visible between inverter and LCD-frame).
If yes, then it could be LED-modded (but not by me, I only ever did one LED-mod on a T43/p, which has since been "undone").
In that case, please open up the whole lid and let us know the exact make and model of that LCD.

Final off-topic question: did you recently move from island to mainland?

600X

#6 Post by 600X » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:59 am

T221 is a famous hi-res monitor by IBM.
Daily: T440p
ThinkPads: 600X (i3), A31p (FlexView), X41, T43, T60 (FlexView), T61p (4:3), R61 (QXGA), X301 (AFFS), W500, X1

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 am

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion in this thread...

1) T43pSF was SATA-modded by RBS, and sports a "regular" - CCFL-lit - Hydis LCD.

2) T601FL was LED-modded by RBS and the LCD in it is also a Hydis, but a LED-lit one.

After experiencing the excessive brightness issues on one of my past T43pSF units, I've given up on using LED-panels on them, at least for the time being and reverted to CCFL-lit panels on all of them.

Hope this helps.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

lukee

#8 Post by lukee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Hey micrex, could you advise IBM mouse type (on the picture where your ThinkPad is assemblied)? I like it very much. Thanks.
Current: T420
Previous: T400, T43p Flexview, T40, R52, T43p 14"
My first ThinkPad was 570

micrex22

#9 Post by micrex22 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

I would like to provide and update with my experience regarding the T43p after using it for a handful of time. Additionally keep in reference that I strip Windows 7 down: so I use the classic interface with all effects turned off, I turned off a lot of the features including the gadget service (which inhales like 300 MB and does nothing in the background), along with tablet PC components, IE8 and anything else that's useless. This makes sense to me since I don't want to tax the T43p's already limited CPU and GPU processing on the OS interface.

First the thermal analysis: In order for the CPU and GPU to stay under 50 C, you'll need the fan at 3900 RPM and be doing nothing intense (i.e. CPU usage 20% or less). If the CPU usage is at 100% - 90%, I managed to get the CPU to 80C-- and this is with the fan at the full RPM which I think is 4500 RPM? Mind you it took a good solid 5 minutes straight for it to gradually increase to 80C.

Slightly cooler than a T60, but it's the CPU in this case which seems to be the hotter item. In which case... it probably makes sense to get a Pentium M that is 17 TDP vs 25 TDP. It's not like the extra 200 Mhz will be any good anymore anyways, it's already past its prime :p

Next up the keyboard-- I noticed the middle scroll isn't as precise as the T60 middle scroll (you have to push it down harder).

Now for the actual CPU performance, running basic applications in Windows 7 and Windows 7 itself is sufficiently fast. No slow downs or anything. Watching youtube videos? Yikes. CPU has to run itself at the max and it can be choppy at first. This really shows what an improvement Yonah was at the time. I know in the past the year of 2007 people said T43p and T60p performance was similar, no.... not at all. Unless you have a very low-end Yonah, in which case it's sad as they all have relatively the same TDP.

RAM, well at boot the system seems to be using up to 500 MB. Then with FireFox it's an additional 200 MB (I have three tabs open). So yeah... 2 GB is cutting it at the absolute minimum. I am not running the FireFox RAM throttler that RBS found, but I may try that later.

In regards to the display, I quite like the softness of everything; the thinklight is so high up that it doesn't illuminate *as well* as a 14.1" T60p. So for night illumination the smaller T60p is definitely better at it. Also the T43p display doesn't get as dark as a T60p twisted-nematic LG. The 1600x1200 resolution really makes it feel like you aren't restricted or drowning. I rely on vertical height a lot, so the 1200 is extremely welcomed.

I'm running it with a seagate momentus spindle drive-- wow, the drive really warms up the lower right palm area. It must really boost the ambient temp. of the laptop internally. Yes yes I will put an SSD in here once I buy another one.
RealBlackStuff wrote:There must be some confusion here...
What's a T221?
On my desktop (which is a true blue IBM, the last of its kind), I have an IBM T221 IPS display-- which has a 3824x2400 resolution and a CFL backlight. So I was using the behaviour of that display to the one of the T43p's. Because LEDs have a refresh rate when run on AC (every odd cycle they'll be 'off' since they're a diode), and I couldn't see this effect on either panel.
RealBlackStuff wrote: Final off-topic question: did you recently move from island to mainland?
Island to mainland? Oh the JP keyboards? Nah, the Canadian government allows you to work abroad for a year if you're under 30, so I thought I'd take advantage of that and go to Japan once I've sufficiently learned the language. Why Japan? I'm not sure... probably because I like Japanese synthesizers (i.e. Roland / Yamaha). It was either Japan or Denmark :)
ajkula66 wrote:Let me try to clear up some of the confusion in this thread...
1) T43pSF was SATA-modded by RBS, and sports a "regular" - CCFL-lit - Hydis LCD.
2) T601FL was LED-modded by RBS and the LCD in it is also a Hydis, but a LED-lit one.
After experiencing the excessive brightness issues on one of my past T43pSF units, I've given up on using LED-panels on them, at least for the time being and reverted to CCFL-lit panels on all of them.
Hope this helps.
I quite like the CFL backlight of the T43p. I'll PM RBS with the parts I need to switch it to LED in the future when the CFL gives out. But I don't want to change it until then.
lukee wrote:Hey micrex, could you advise IBM mouse type (on the picture where your ThinkPad is assemblied)? I like it very much. Thanks.
The mouse is a ScrollPoint Pro MO18BO. You can read about them here:
http://ibmfiles.com/pages/scrollpoint.htm

I've also modified a black/silver one making it a one-of-a-kind:
http://i.imgur.com/VYfW6F2.jpg
(you need all three ScrollPoint Pro mice to combine one like that, the earlier ones are ball based and not optical, only the black ones are optical). ScrollPoint mechanism is similar to the TrackPoint, but exclusively for scrolling.

Currently there are only earlier model 'slate blue' ball ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Scrollpoint ... 1a04356e82

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#10 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:04 pm

You may want to look into undervolting that PM 780 with either NHC or IBM ECW - the latter was created by a fellow forum member - and you're likely to see a significant drop in temperatures.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

lukee

#11 Post by lukee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 am

I am running similar configuration with my T43p, however with T43 ATI X300 board. I have noticed that the rubber pad, which is at the top of heatsink (thermal conductor from heatsink to the keyboard's sheet metal) is very helpful and I would say that it may significantly improve CPU and GPU cooling if the rubber pad is applied at the entire heatsink's length. This would need to purchase the thermal rubber pads somewhere, but it would conduct larger portion of the heat to the keyboard which is hole-rich so the heat can spread out of the ThinkPad easily. I have also realized that heatsink's heatpipes are not filled with a fluid as it can usually seen in PC's heatsink heatpipes but with copper wires (I cutted one out from R52's heatsink) so the cooling would be more efficient with a fluid medium inside.
Current: T420
Previous: T400, T43p Flexview, T40, R52, T43p 14"
My first ThinkPad was 570

natgab
Freshman Member

#12 Post by natgab » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:12 pm

micrex22 wrote:After Ajkula listed the T43p I was extremely interested to start learning about that series since I've only ever touched ThinkPads prior and after. And I was curious to observe the LED boe-hydis panel and the RBS patented SATA mod.

<snip>

Finally the last cooling improvement was the southbridge which it is claimed that they run warm, so I applied some thermal tape and created a makeshift elongated heatsink from an I/O panel. Technically if you didn't want wireless you could put a big honking heatsink on the southbridge.
http://i.imgur.com/Goo27oL.jpg

<snip>
--- Question regarding makeshift Southbridge heatsink. I was temped to do the same with either one of these 12cm x 12cm heatsinks or possibly with the flat ones if space is limited. Have you noticed any differences with your laptop? Also my Linux CPU temperature shows 63C, I have never changed or touched the CPU heatsink since I bought it used.

EDIT: Temp. with on demand @800-1.33GHz using Firefox with two tabs open to Thinkpad forum.

copper heatsink Approx. 1USD per 12mm x 12mm square. / .5 inch x .5 inch on eBay.
Thinkpad X260 ( # 20F6-CTR1WW) 2.3HGz i3 6100u, 16GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, Intel HD520, 1366x768 IPS
Thinkpad T43 - bkup | Thinkpad R50 - DOA | Thinkpad R61 - RIP | Thinkpad X40 - In Use