Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wake up after suspend problem on T41 with new SSD on IDE2SATA controller

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Mac-Chatter

Wake up after suspend problem on T41 with new SSD on IDE2SATA controller

#1 Post by Mac-Chatter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:10 am

Dear vintage friends,

I own a second hand company T41 with WinXP Pro and some good software installed. All properly licensed but no disks (No option for WIN 7). I exchanged my HDD with a SATA-SSD on a SATA2IDE adaptor. I cloned the old HDD with Acronis. With help of this forum I overcame an UDMA2 issue and reached enhanced IDE speeds ~80MB/s by updating BIOS and Enabler to recent versions. I installed a TP-Link WLAN with no-1802 patch.

Last troublesome matter is, that I cannot wake up my T41 from "Suspend to RAM" (FN/F4) and/or "Suspend to Disk".

1. Doing "Supend to RAM" the sreen gets dark, there is a short beep and the moon-icon lites up. After wake up, means pressing the POWER button the T41 seems to start, the activity light next to the battery icon comes up, the cooler fan starts, but the screen remains dark. Observing the T41's HDD icon there is no single flash visible means the system does not (try to) access the SSD.

2. Doing "Suspend to Disk" I can see the Windows bar and the flashing HDD indicator, that the system writes RAM to disk. Doing the wake up the Windows bar which indicates the reading of the hybernation file goes from left to right. In parallel the HDD icon is flashing. Finally a beep sound occurs and that's it. The screen freezes with the completed hibernation file reading bar.

With my former mechanical HDD both Suspend modes worked.

Do you have any ideas where to look for?

(Please don’t discuss the sense or nonsense of suspend modes)

Thanks for reading and feedback, Mac-Chatter
Working Vintage Stuff:
ASUS X72N, WinVista-32; DualCore 2,5Ghz; RAM 6GB; SSD (SATA): 480GB; Gavotte RAMDISK: ~2,5GB (PAE) for pagefile
IBM T41; XP-Pro; RAM: 2GB; SSD (IDE=>SATA):128GB; RAMDISK: 760MB pagefile
Medion 95400; XP-Home; P-1,7GHz; RAM: 2GB; SSD (IDE): 64GB; RAMDISK: 760MB pagefile

Mac-Chatter

Re: Wake up after suspend problem on T41 with new SSD ...=> SOLVED

#2 Post by Mac-Chatter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm

. . . on IDE2SATA controller

FYI: After some time I again surfed the net and found the following solution on a Crucial forum Webpage. Please look here:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/forums/v3_ ... 655/page/2

In brief: The SSD have automatic "repair" mechanism which start when the SSD is absolute idle for some time and can correct On/Off mechnism.

What I did:
- I started up the laptop, entered bios setup mode, did nothing for 1 hour
(in bios setup mode, there are totally no hidden hard disk activities executed by Windows)
- I shut down, take out batteries, wait for 1 night
(it should be beneficial to repeat procedure 1 or 2 or more times)
- I started up again the laptop, enter bios setup, wait 10h (went to work)
- shut down laptop and restart

To complete the story: Thereafter I was requested to enter date time in the bio setup. Because I use a non-IBM WLAN card I had to temporally disable WLAN in bios setup before I ran "no-1802" from a bootable CD.

(Btw.: Crucial said also, if their SSD is 8h (!) 100% idle it executes a built in garbage collection)

Supend to RAM runs completely fine (Yeahyeahyeah!). Suspend to disk is very slow*, but wakeup is quick.
*In general write performance went down 1/2. 4K writing is down 1/10 of 4K reading.

Thats it, Mac-Chatter
Working Vintage Stuff:
ASUS X72N, WinVista-32; DualCore 2,5Ghz; RAM 6GB; SSD (SATA): 480GB; Gavotte RAMDISK: ~2,5GB (PAE) for pagefile
Medion 95400; XP-Home; P-1,7GHz; RAM: 2GB; SSD (IDE): 64GB; RAMDISK: 760MB pagefile

Mac-Chatter

Re: Wake up after suspend problem on T41 with new SSD on IDE2SATA controller

#3 Post by Mac-Chatter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Update "Fake Problem" (for SSD)
Yes, I have to admit, after all my fixes I was too enthusiastic when I observed a wakeup after suspend, which was with wlan switched off. When I replaced the HDD with a SSD I also replaced the broken IBM wlan card with a TP-WN861N card. I have learned my problem isn't a SSD or SSD-controller issue but simply the well know wakeup trouble with the TP-WN861N card. There are several posts about it in this forum. I wasted too many hours . . . and sorry for bothering you!

However these often poor documented idle-SSD-autorepair-function may/shall work in principle, e.g. Crucial support posted an 8h idle state for a Crucial SSD should initiate the internal garbage collection - important for all no-trim Vista & XP users.

Regards, Mac-Chatter
Working Vintage Stuff: