Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Got a T43p that won't connect to WiFi (and anyone know its value?)

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
mh9162013
Freshman Member

Got a T43p that won't connect to WiFi (and anyone know its value?)

#1 Post by mh9162013 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Just scored a T43p that I'm looking to eventually sell, but I want to make sure it works properly. It boots up just fine, I think, but I can't connect to my home's Wi-Fi network. The laptop recognizes it, but when I try to connect to it, I get an error about the Wi-Fi being out of range. Based on my research, it could be a problem with my wireless card's software/drivers, something about Windows XP not recognizing my wireless router's encryption protocols (WPA, WPA2 and WEP or something like that), or some incorrect network setting, but I can't figure it out for sure. I'm hoping to install more drivers and make sure the CD/DVD drive works properly. But if I can't get online, I can't get any drivers or do an reinstalls. I understand there may be no quick and easy fix, and if that's the case, I'll just let it go and let the future buyer deal with it.

My specs:

RAM: 1GB
CPU: Pentium M, 2.00 GHz
Model/Type: 2687-D5U
GPU: 128MB FireGL V3200 ATI
Screen: 15" 1600 x 1200 UXGA
Battery is in fairly good shape. It's a 10.8v 7.2AH battery and it says I should get about 2 hours.

Another question: Does anyone know the possible value of this laptop? It's in fair shape and was used by a former Professional Engineer, so it's got the "patina" of work use and the fan is somewhat loud, but works. I saw some similar UXGA models on eBay for several hundred dollars, but they're in better cosmetic shape, are refurbished, and have the 256MB GPU. I doubt mine is worth that much, but I feel it may be worth more than $45 + s/h, but I don't know by how much.

Thanks ahead for the advice and help.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Got a T43p that won't connect to WiFi (and anyone know its value?)

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:00 pm

There are no 256MB GPUs in a T43 or T43p, only 64MB or 128MB.
What those eBay folks are asking is their business, but it is grossly exaggerated.
IMHO such a machine might fetch around $100 if it has all the possible bells and whistles, more if it was also SATA-modded.
For a T43/p try an Intel 2200BG or a TP-LINK TL-WN861N 300Mbps wifi-N card.
If you must go online with it, use an ethernet cable to get drivers.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

mh9162013
Freshman Member

Re: Got a T43p that won't connect to WiFi (and anyone know its value?)

#3 Post by mh9162013 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Straight from the expert! Thanks for the advice!