Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T4X CPU undervolting database

T4x series specific matters only
ziemeck
Freshman Member

T4X CPU undervolting database

#1 Post by ziemeck » Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am

Introduction
Some of us still use T4X either due to sentiment or as a silent typewriter. I am using a T42 (15' XGA) for www programming using Eclipse (javascript, php) - and with 2GB of RAM it still gets the work done after 14 years in service. After I recently disassembled and cleaned up CPU cooler (second time since the purchase!), applied motor oil to fan sleeve bearing I decided to make it even more silent, using NHC to undervolt CPU.

Methods used to find stable voltages:
1. find lowest voltage that passes NHC test
2. test the voltage for stability in real life applications: running firefox, playing 15-20 mins of youtube videos (max 720p), using Eclipse, playing music (in my case every NHC "stable" voltage above multiplier of 6 required a 1-step-increase of voltage to run stable in all my applications)

Warning:
The voltages stipulated below are stable for my particular CPU and my particular motherboard. Please use these as a starting point for your tests rather than a ready answer.

My CPU is a Dothan 1.7 (fsb 400MHz), my motherboard is one with dedicated ATI GPU: Radeon 7500
Lowest stable voltages:
Model: T42, CPU: Dothan 1.7 (Pentium M 735), Motherboard specs: Radeon 7500
Multiplier	Voltage
6		0.700
8		0.732
10		0.796
12		0.860
14		0.940
17		1.068
Please share your undervolt settiings below, this might help some oldtimers silencing their T4Xs
Need to replace T60 LCD? Read this thread.
High-pitched fan noise [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=86763]?
- Sure the fan [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=74322]?
- Fan lubrication [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87448],
- Fan replacement/reapplying thermal grease [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=80203].