Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Strange Happening on My Computer Screen

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Callahan
Sophomore Member

Strange Happening on My Computer Screen

#1 Post by Callahan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 am

Just a few days ago I happen to notice this appearing at the very bottom right side of the computer screen on my T41. It's where the taskbar is located and really not visible until I either turn the computer on or off. I have no idea how long this has been there or what it actually is.

When the computer finally has booted to WinXP ... it's really not easy to spot with all the little program icons on the right side of the taskbar. It fits perfectly behind them and for now is about four inches in length.

Not knowing the actual ID of this. I googled several different terms and found some discussion about this subject ... 'display bleeding' and 'clouding on the bottom right edge' ... those descriptions seem to match what I am seeing.

I guess any information as to what to expect going from here would be helpful. My questions ... will this continue to spread over the screen, as I mentioned earlier ... I have no idea how long this clouding has been on my screen. Is the screen going bad and will it have to be replaced in the future or could that be all the 'clouding' that I might see and the screen will continue to work just fine?

Since it's not visible with the computer fully booted up to WinXP, it really doesn't bother me at this point. When fully booted up, the screen is just fine ... good color. sharp and no dead pixels.

Thanks ...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Strange Happening on My Computer Screen

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 am

Before pointing the finger to anything,
boot from a Linux Live-CD and check if the same happens there.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Callahan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 am

OK ... not much knowledge on a live Linux CD. I finally found one that I can download. It's a big download and it will probably be finished sometime tomorrow. The first download I found ... after I downloaded it was only for an SD card. The second download I found, I was not able to find a link to click on.

I am downloading Knoppix Live Linux CD - KNOPPIX V8 2 2018 05 10 EN ... 4.37 GB . I will have it sometime late tonight or early tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Callahan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 am

Well the KNOPPIX_V8.2-2018-05-10-EN is not working in my computer. I burned the ISO DVD and it went through about 5 minutes of installing ... all looked OK until the install was finished. All I had was a white page with several darkish vertical lines on the left side.

However, I was still able to see the cloud type material at the bottom right part of the screen where the Taskbar would normally be in Windows ... so it wasn't a total waste of time, the cloud like material was still visible.

Out of curiosity, would someone be able to suggest a good Live Linux CD that I can download that will work with my older ThinkPad.

The Knoppix Live CD may be too new for my machine and I probably need something older for an older machine ... so I'm thinking.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am

Try this one: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67
(Linux Mint 10 "Julia" - CD (32-bit), 699MB)
Use a program like ImgBurn for a standard CD, or Rufus for a (1GB or bigger) USB stick.
But it looks like your LCD is not the best...

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by Callahan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

OK ... thanks for the Linux CD link. That will fit on a CD at 699 MB. I have BurnCDCC as a burning program for an ISO. Have used it for at least 15 years but I am also familiar ImgBurn.

After the download is complete ... I will run the CD and see what happens.

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Callahan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm

After installing the Linux CD the clouding is exactly the same as when I have WinXP running. In your last post you said the LCD is 'not the best'.

So what will be the final outcome ... will this 'clouding' continue to spread. If so, at what speed ... over time, slowly or fast?

For now I have no problem ... the clouding is small in size and really not that noticeable. Could I get many more years out of this LCD or would I have to get it replaced much sooner ... maybe in four to six months? Are these screens still plentiful in 2018?

Thanks for the assistance,

Callahan

mrtaufner

#8 Post by mrtaufner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:58 am

Callahan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm
After installing the Linux CD the clouding is exactly the same as when I have WinXP running. In your last post you said the LCD is 'not the best'.

So what will be the final outcome ... will this 'clouding' continue to spread. If so, at what speed ... over time, slowly or fast?

For now I have no problem ... the clouding is small in size and really not that noticeable. Could I get many more years out of this LCD or would I have to get it replaced much sooner ... maybe in four to six months? Are these screens still plentiful in 2018?

Thanks for the assistance,

Callahan

I'd be checking prices, just in case:

This is one of the cheapest ones I've found on ebay... without much effort, btw:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/IBM-92P6674-Thi ... wB4BZ6f1d

(The domain is .es bcs I'm from Spain. Just change it to .co.uk or whatever domain is ebay in your country)

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by Callahan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:01 pm

I checked out the ad ... I will think all this out more. I have three ThinkPads, a T41 and two T42s. I could just 'retire' the T41 and start using one of the T42 computers, buy a replacement screen or send the computer away to get the screen replaced. I have done some work inside ... replacing a fan assembly, replacing the CPU with a better Dothan but I don't think I could replace the screen. I checked it out one time and the instructions look to be too much for me.

Since getting all three ThinkPads in 2010 ... I have used the T41 daily for everything while the two T42s have sat in cases in a closet. All three computers are kept updated and are ready to be a 'backup' computer at any time.

So I could continue to use the T41 until the screen is no longer any good ... I have no idea how long that might be. Maybe another two or three years or just six months from today. All three ThinkPads were bought as used or refurbished. The T41 seems to have been used the most ... judging from how worn and shiny the keyboard was when I got it. I replaced it and did a few other things, upgraded the 1 GB of memory to 2 GBs and such.

So I have several options ... with this not being my only computer.

Thanks ...

mrtaufner

#10 Post by mrtaufner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Callahan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:01 pm
I checked out the ad ... I will think all this out more. I have three ThinkPads, a T41 and two T42s. I could just 'retire' the T41 and start using one of the T42 computers, buy a replacement screen or send the computer away to get the screen replaced. I have done some work inside ... replacing a fan assembly, replacing the CPU with a better Dothan but I don't think I could replace the screen. I checked it out one time and the instructions look to be too much for me.

Since getting all three ThinkPads in 2010 ... I have used the T41 daily for everything while the two T42s have sat in cases in a closet. All three computers are kept updated and are ready to be a 'backup' computer at any time.

So I could continue to use the T41 until the screen is no longer any good ... I have no idea how long that might be. Maybe another two or three years or just six months from today. All three ThinkPads were bought as used or refurbished. The T41 seems to have been used the most ... judging from how worn and shiny the keyboard was when I got it. I replaced it and did a few other things, upgraded the 1 GB of memory to 2 GBs and such.

So I have several options ... with this not being my only computer.

Thanks ...
A tiny little speck on the screen after 14 years is not a big deal (my guess). If I were you and had the spares you have, I'd totally do the same as you: wait and replace later on.

But let's just hope your display will last many more years :bow:

Callahan
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by Callahan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

mrtaufner ... just to add from your last post. The whole cloudy part of the screen ... at this time ... is small and completely hidden behind the Taskbar and the 14 icons to the left of the clock time, which is on the extreme right.

What I would really like to know ... what can I expect in the future, if anything? Are you or anyone else familiar with this situation? Will it continue to spread along the bottom of the screen all the way to the left side or will it possibility continue to spread to the middle of the screen or just spread really with no pattern?

Again thanks for the information from Spain ... never been there but it's on my 'list' with just about everything else !

Callahan

mrtaufner

#12 Post by mrtaufner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Callahan wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm
mrtaufner ... just to add from your last post. The whole cloudy part of the screen ... at this time ... is small and completely hidden behind the Taskbar and the 14 icons to the left of the clock time, which is on the extreme right.

What I would really like to know ... what can I expect in the future, if anything? Are you or anyone else familiar with this situation? Will it continue to spread along the bottom of the screen all the way to the left side or will it possibility continue to spread to the middle of the screen or just spread really with no pattern?

Again thanks for the information from Spain ... never been there but it's on my 'list' with just about everything else !

Callahan
It never happened to to any of my laptops ever (but something similar DID happen to a TV). There was kind of a greenish blur on the screen, barely visible. It didn't turn bolder, but it did increase in size, in a radial(ish) basis over time.

Maybe it's the same thing due to the fact that these displays are LCD, just like my old TV. Or maybe not. Just take it with a grain of salt.

And you're welcome! Yet I'm new to this forum, I just want to put my two cents on it. I study IT and really love all things retro: old computers, consoles, et cetera.