Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Need advice on restoring my T42

T4x series specific matters only
Raptornet

Need advice on restoring my T42

#1 Post by Raptornet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 pm

So I found a set of supposed restore discs from the archive.
https://archive.org/details/Disc2of7Jan ... UPN24R7684

Only after getting to the point where it asks me to insert disc one, it doesn't seem to read disc one.

Could anyone please confirm if the set of 7 CDs are named differently? What the root looks like.

Many thanks

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Need advice on restoring my T42

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Did you use a program to properly burn the discs or did you just copy them in explorer?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Raptornet

#3 Post by Raptornet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:01 pm

I tried both

The info file say to just drop the two folders on to a CD. So your have two folders in the root.

I've used Nero and I've used Windows, but with little success. I'm scratching my head.

olex126

#4 Post by olex126 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

The R&R restore set is good.

I just downloaded the 8-disc set and compared to my own T42 R&R set.

I burned the Disc 1 of 1 ISO to a CD using Imgburn. Rebooted the laptop, and it immediately launched into the IBM R&R mode from the newly-burned CD.

Regards.

Dave
Previous Thinkpads: 701C A22m A30/A31p T23p x2 T30 T41 X31 various 750's 760's & 390's.

DD's & Test Benches: X41T, X60T & X61T's, various T42p-T43p's, x200 x201 x220T x230 T520 W530 T601F LED (X9000/8Gb/250SSD/W7 U)

"Life Is A Journey...Enjoy The Ride!"

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Raptornet wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I tried both

The info file say to just drop the two folders on to a CD. So your have two folders in the root.

I've used Nero and I've used Windows, but with little success. I'm scratching my head.
ImgBurn is good, try PowerISO. Windows sometimes gives me issues and I switched from Nero a long time ago but I dont know why but I did for a reason.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:47 am

@Raptornet:
you should either remove, or correct your false accusations on that archive website.

ANY person burning a CD from an ISO should know that just copying files there does not work.
For those you need an ISO-burning program like ImgBurn, MagicISO, PowerISO, etc.
Programs like Nero also have an ISO-burning option, but there you need to hunt around for it in all that bloatware.

From those files on Archive you only need to properly burn the first ISO download.
The other RAR downloads need to be un-RARed/unpacked first, before you copy/burn them onto a CD.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Raptornet

#7 Post by Raptornet » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi there

I didn't think this needed clarification, but clearly it does. I didn't as some presume wrongly, drag the ISO file on to a blank disc. I burnt it to CDR with Nero and it works perfectly fine.

The issue I am having is withthe 7 rar files, each of which contain two folders MFG and RECOVERY. The author of the upload says;

"The other 7 compressed files need to be decompressed and the two folders (MFG and RECOVERY) burnt to CD - These are not bootable but no worries!
Feel free to use any burning software: Nero, MagicISO..."

I created 14 discs in total, 7 using Nero burning rom and 7 simply using windows 7 drag and drop, the recovery software recognised neither. Each time the software booted up asking for Disc 1, I would;

-insert said CD, press ok.
-The CD drive would spin up, search the disc and then do nothing and continue to request disc 1 be inserted.

I have to either conclude the author of the upload didn't test the walk through or they missed something out while writing the included instructions. As I've been unable to recreate the process laid out in them, the only disc that does work is the ISO. I can only suspect the recovery software is looking for something, something other than just a disc with two folders, perhaps the discs need to be titled something specific? As I dont own an original set it is impossible for me to say.

If someone can get the recovery CD to read from one of the unpacked rars burnt to disc, then I will certainly revise my review, but until such time, I'll leave it as is and save any other T42 user from wasting 14 blank discs.

**UPDATE**
Thanks to another user here on the forum, I now have all the discs in ISO format. I'll be burning these and hopefully it will reveal why the recovery software wasn't taking the restore discs.

dr_st

#8 Post by dr_st » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:32 am

Raptornet wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:23 pm
I can only suspect the recovery software is looking for something, something other than just a disc with two folders, perhaps the discs need to be titled something specific?
Yes, the CD label would be my first guess.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU