Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Temperature Sensors Accuracy

T4x series specific matters only
Callahan
Freshman Member

Temperature Sensors Accuracy

#1 Post by Callahan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 am

Been wanting to ask this question for some time. Are the temperature sensors in the T4x notebooks very accurate or just 'fairly accurate'? Using TPFC ... I see seven readings. I guess the sensors are on various locations on the motherboard.

So were these sensors back then known to be accurate ... or with newer later ThinkPad models and today's ThinkPads ... are the temperature sensors much more accurate in 'today's world' ?

I get very good readings with TPFC for the CPU and such ... just don't know how accurate the readings really are.

Screamer

Re: Temperature Sensors Accuracy

#2 Post by Screamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 am

I'd say fairly accurate, since most of the temperature sensors are usually located on the motherboard, not on the chip itself.

Considering that a lot of components have their own integrated temperature sensors nowadays (on-die, on-package, etc), I believe that they should be a lot more accurate than a temperature sensor mounted on the motherboard.

Callahan
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Callahan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:58 pm

OK ... good to hear your opinion that the sensors should be fairly accurate. I have a T41 and two T42s, one being a 15 in screen. I bought two of them advertised as refurbished by IBM ... but I can't be 100% sure that the ad said that, it's what I remember.

So far none of my notebooks have shown any problems with loose solder areas ... have had them since around 2010, so maybe a 'newer' motherboard was put into these notebooks, if they had a solder problem at one time. Maybe I have just been lucky so far with handling them carefully.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Callahan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:58 pm

So far none of my notebooks have shown any problems with loose solder areas ... have had them since around 2010, so maybe a 'newer' motherboard was put into these notebooks, if they had a solder problem at one time. Maybe I have just been lucky so far with handling them carefully.
Well, given the (vint)age of the T4x generation, any of them could fail at any time for any reason, not just soldering issues.

Having said that, keep an eye on CPU, GPU and PCI temps in TPFC, they will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

Additionally, keep the systems on 24/7/365 and don't ever put them to sleep if you're using them regularly. Heating/cooling cycles don't play nice with RoHS soldering.

You can also use Notebook Hardware Control to undervolt the CPU and underclock the GPU if needed.

Enjoy these oldies!
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Callahan
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Callahan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:27 am

Out of the three T4x notebooks that I own ... the T41 showed the most use when I received it. The two T42s were better cosmetically looking. The T41 was still OK, just showed a little more use. I was going by the look of the keyboard, many of the keys were more worn and shiny over the two T42s.

I eventually replaced the keyboard with a new one and decided to make the T41 my everyday computer for all the 'heavy lifting' and 'wear and tear' ... going easy on the other two.

The fan finally needed replaced in the T41 ... got a good used one from eBay and also at that time found out about TPFC. So here it is 2019 and the T41 is still going strong since 2010. It has been used a lot ... burning many CDs and DVDs and some web sites making the temperature really climb. It's been hot in a hot summer ... it's been a real workhorse for me.

I downloaded Notebook Hardware Control ... I found this information at the site: 'The latest version of Notebook Hardware Control formerly Centrino Hardware Control.'

I'm not sure if I ever heard of this program. I may have, it could be stored on a download CD/DVD somewhere. It requires that .NET Framework v2.0 or newer be installed and I removed .NET Framework from my computer a few years back.

Notebook Hardware Control does have a lot of functions, so I may install .NET Framework v2.0 again and try it out. I do like the CPU Speed Control function but I found a similar program back in 2010 that has the same function with Dynamic switching and such, but it didn't require .NET Framework.

SpeedswitchXP v1.52 - A CPU frequency applet for Windows XP by Christian Diefer ... seems to do exactly the same thing as the one in NHC.

I guess my point in mentioning the T41 and all the use ... it just has held up well so far to date.

I do have a question ... while searching for information on NHC and CPU switching ... I found this statement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dynamic switching

Switches between the minimum and maximum speed according to current CPU utilization. (i.e. a Intel Pentium Dothan 1600MHz switches automatically between 600MHz and 1600MHz)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I put a Dothan Intel Pentium 745 in all three of my notebooks. Does that statement mean that only a Pentium Dothan 1600MHz will also switch or is this function also in later CPUs like the 1.80 GHz Pentium 745. Maybe when the article was written there were no higher Pentium M CPUs ... I don't know.

So another question ... I really don't need the program SpeedswitchXP v1.52 since the CPU will do the same exact same thing on its own? A little confused on the 'CPU switching' thing. By having SpeedswitchXP installed, am I causing problems for the CPU ... since it also wants to be doing the same thing?

Thanks for the help ... Screamer and ajkula66

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 pm

NHC works fine on later Dothans, I have it installed on my T43p which sports a PM 760.

To me personally, the ability to undervolt the CPU is priceless, especially on T43/p units and that's what I use NHC for the most. Everything else I could live without.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.