Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T4x problems with Intel Wireless 2100 3b

T4x series specific matters only
bashlt

T4x problems with Intel Wireless 2100 3b

#1 Post by bashlt » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 am

Hi,

as we all know, there is a problem with Intel wireless 2100 3b adapter. The problem is that it randomly disconnects from network, unusable. Here is a solution:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Services.
2. Stop and Disable these Intel's services: Spectrum24 Event Monitor and Regsrvc.

The problem should go away. Btw, if these services is running, I had problems even with additional USB adapters, they disconnected randomly too.

Thought this should be useful for someone.

sebulis

Re: T4x problems with Intel Wireless 2100 3b

#2 Post by sebulis » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi, i'm new here in the forum, although i've been a "passive reader" until now. I discovered this fantastic world a few days ago, and now i'm a proud owner of a T41 and a T61.
I'm trying to make the T41 usable, for XP gaming and occasional web browsing.
The thing is, i have done a clean install of XP SP3, but i'm unable to connect to a wireless network. I have tried to install drivers one by one, from Lenovo website, and also tried Snappy Driver Installer, unsuccesfully... I can't find the correct driver. Under Device Manager, the ethernet driver is in yellow.
With Linux (Bunsenlabs Distro), everything works flawlessly, so it's not a hardware issue.
I don't know what else to do, so i was hoping you could give me a hint.
Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor English...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:52 am

If you also have that junk 2100 3b wifi card, dump it and get a faster and better Intel 2200BG instead.
You may need to apply the NO-1802 patch, see here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_w ... twork_card
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by onespeedbiker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 am

First, welcome. I also have a T41 (R61i and R50). First, you mixed up wireless and Ethernet; confirm it is the wireless you are are having issues with, or are having a problem with both? I would also recommend you download the original IBM Software; it's really part of the experience. While I have not found T41 online, I used this T42 software and it worked flawlessly. Discussed here; viewtopic.php?t=100754 and download here. https://archive.org/details/Disc2of7Jan ... UPN24R7684 Download both the ISO and 7 Rar files. The ISO will boot up IBM Rescue and Recovery utility and the 7 CD's are backup files; you may need to install XP sp3 afterwards. Also, how are you installing the wireless drivers. Are you aware the drivers are not installed when you double click the drivers file? Instead the drivers files load the drivers into their own folder in C:\Windows\Drivers\Win, which contains a setup.exe file?
Last edited by onespeedbiker on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am

In all fairness, it's A.D. 2019 and 2100B was severely outdated a decade ago, let alone now.

There are so many wireless cards that perform better in all respects that I fail to understand why anyone would not spend a few bucks and update the system. On a T4x, it takes all of five minutes even if one has never done it before.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by onespeedbiker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:15 pm

My T41 has the Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG wireless card. For Poster #2, the "BG" references the wireless standard 801.11, on this case 801.11 b g. Unless you have a very old wireless router, you may find the need for a wireless card that supports 801.11g, (801.11 b g means it supports both b and g, however a double letter is often a substandard unto itself, not a combination of two or three; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11) or it will not be able to properly connect to a newer router, such as the Xfinity modem/router I have; my Xfinity router is an 802.11ac, which is compatible with 801.11g.

Unless you have to make the Thinkpad wireless card work, you can pick up one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... UTF8&psc=1 for a wireless connection. The USB doggle contains an XP driver (acts like a USB storgae card), load the driver and you will have 400Mbps!

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:59 pm

onespeedbiker wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:15 pm
Unless you have to make the Thinkpad wireless card work, you can pick up one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... UTF8&psc=1 for a wireless connection. The USB doggle contains an XP driver (acts like a USB storgae card), load the driver and you will have 400Mbps!
First of all, you need MIMO in order to connect at 450Mbps .

Secondly, USB dongle will always underperform when compared to an integrated card IME.

Lastly, if one is spending more than $5 on the card, they may as well get a TP Link internal N card which will give them 300Mbps AND has excellent Linux compatibility since it's Atheros-chipped.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by onespeedbiker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm not sure what some of what you said means, but I plugged the USB Realtec wifi dongle into the USB port of my T41 running XP Pro, loaded the driver and the Control Panel Networks, shows the Ethernet at 1 Gbps, the 2200bg wifi pci card @ 54 Mbps and the Realtec usb wifi @ 400Mbps. Beyond that, I am ignorant. I don't use the dongle because I prefer the wifi card or Ethernet, but I simply offered it up as a possibility. I've also found Thinkwiki a good source for white listed wifi cards https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T42.

sebulis

#9 Post by sebulis » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 am

First of all, thank you very much for the welcome and for your comments.
I replaced the 2100 with a 2200 BG (actually, i've swaped CPU, Wireless Card, cooler, touchpad and screen of a T42 i have lying around) and it's now working fine!!!
I've done a clean install of XP SP3, but i'll try with those Recovery Sets.
By the way, i also want to thank theterminator93, who also provided me a link with a T42 recovery.
I haven't had time to test them, hopefully i'll try them this weekend.
Thank you again!!
Sebastian

kfzhu1229
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by kfzhu1229 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 pm

I know this is an old thread but I had problems with the 2100 3b card as well (but under Windows 7). I know 2200BG is way better, but seeing that this is under an antenna-modded ThinkPad T23 (with the original 802MIP card completely dead) I wanted to get it working anyways.
None of the drivers provided from Lenovo and Dell worked for me. Turns out I have to use a newer version of driver provided by Driverscape (I know this is sketchy place, but it worked for me):
https://www.driverscape.com/download/in ... ci-adapter
And then BEFORE you click on the exe files or use the inf files, MAKE SURE SetupWLD is under Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and force it to run under administrator (under the properties of SetupWLD.exe). Otherwise the driver never finishes installing and times out.
Then double click on that file and run it under administrator. That worked for me!
That setup process took me ages to figure out, and I thought I'd share it so that ppl know how to get that working under Windows 7 should circumstances force them to do so.
Flexview UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10