Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ODD failure, help!

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
BlueFalcon

ODD failure, help!

#1 Post by BlueFalcon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello,
I have limited knowledge about laptops so, I'm sorry, if my doubt is too simple.

Well, I have a T42p and my ODD is no working, its unable to ready something, The computer is working with windows 7 ultimate.

I tested many discs and a same message appears:

Insert the disk

The original ODD is a Panasonic UJ-812

I purchased a used AD-7910-A, Sony/NEC, and the problem is the same.

The seller says that this ODD is working fine.

My ask...

The read disk problem can to be something of the computer?

Both the ODDs, was recognized by windows and in the system, device manager not conflict and the device is working fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Have a nice week!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: ODD failure, help!

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Create and boot a Linux live USB, then try and access the CD. What CD are you using? Have you tried using a stamped CD,like one you bought from the store, not a CD-R or CD-RW?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

BlueFalcon

#3 Post by BlueFalcon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I have same cdrw, dvd-rw, cd-r, dvdr. One layer only. The drive unable to read the disks. I need write a disk to upgrade the computer, to upgrade the WiFi card. Well I will to leave it with a technical professional. I need to be right that the problem is on the drive. The seller may have lied about the operation of the drive.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:40 am

BlueFalcon wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am
I need write a disk to upgrade the computer, to upgrade the WiFi card. Well I will to leave it with a technical professional.
What wi-fi card do you want to upgrade to? Why would you need a media drive for such an upgrade ?

These drives are 10-15 years old and most of them have either failed by now or are about to. Try locating a media drive for T60/61 which will fit your machine just fine if you *really* need that functionality.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

ajkula66 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:40 am

What wi-fi card do you want to upgrade to? Why would you need a media drive for such an upgrade ?

These drives are 10-15 years old and most of them have either failed by now or are about to. Try locating a media drive for T60/61 which will fit your machine just fine if you *really* need that functionality.

Good luck.
Or buy a new USB one.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.