Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T43 Hard Drive Issues - Not 2010 Error!

T4x series specific matters only
DF94

T43 Hard Drive Issues - Not 2010 Error!

#1 Post by DF94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I purchased a secondhand T43 to experiment with ArcaOS. It came with a flavour of Linux installed, with no password provided (I was unable to log in). I already knew about the 2010 error, and that I would have to install Windows to install the necessary modified BIOS. I created a USB-bootable version of my Windows 2000 installation media, and attempted to run it.

The Win2k setup failed due to an unspecified HDD error. This was my first clue that something was wrong. I decided to use a boot CD to erase and reformat the hard disk.

Using UBCD I was able to boot into Parted Magic. I was able to run the Erase utility, which seemed to work. When I attempted to run GParted, though, the program simply crashed. Furthermore, Parted Magic was unable to mount the HDD when I attempted to access it in the File Manager. I have since attempted to use almost every other utility on the boot CD, including Free FDisk and Cute Partition Manager; and the IBM Disk Manager. The former two could not detect the HDD at all, and aborted. IBM Disk Manager was able to identify the disk as a Hitachi unit, but was unable to interact with it in any way. I kept getting error messages telling me to check my BIOS settings and reboot.

I'm sorry if this is a bit vague, I've just had a very frustrating couple of hours and I need to walk away from the computer for a while! If anyone has any idea what's happening, please respond.
Last edited by DF94 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: T43 Hard Drive Issues - Not 2010 Error!

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm

hello df94..
welcome to the forum..

hard to say whats up with your hard drive..
have you tried acronis on it..?
have you checked to see if the recovery partition is still there..? and if so have you tried running the recovery..?
have you tried another hard drive..?
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#3 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Does the drive show up as one of the bootable devices when you press F12 on start ?
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

DF94

#4 Post by DF94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 pm

BillMorrow wrote: welcome to the forum..
Thanks! I would have posted an introduction thread, but I was tearing out my hair at the time I posted this.
have you tried acronis on it..?
No, but this gives me something else to try. Good stuff!
have you checked to see if the recovery partition is still there..?
No, but given that I ran the erase program I doubt it will be there any more. Besides, I don't have a recovery CD (and the CD drive is kaput in any case!).

have you tried another hard drive..?
This is going to be my last resort. However, I'll need to track down an official IBM hard drive else I'll only run into the 2010 error, right?

ajkula66 wrote:Does the drive show up as one of the bootable devices when you press F12 on start ?
Yep.

EDIT - Solution Found?

I was able to boot Windows XP using this LiveCD image (probably the least legit thing I've ever seen, but needs must). It's apparently based on BartPE. I used Rufus to write it to a USB stick, and was able to boot from it with no issue.

It came bundled with Partition Wizard, which was able to see and reformat the HDD. I was also able to flash the BIOS to remove the 2010 error while in this environment.

It's not all sunshine and roses, though, as when I attempted to install Windows 2000 I got the same "STOP - boot device inaccessible" error I encountered at the beginning. I'm going to try PuppyLinux, to see if my fortunes improve.

Edit 2:

Okay, booted into a PuppyLinux LiveCD, went through the motions of installing it. Threw an error telling me that the HDD had no boot flag set.

I quickly remedied that with Gparted (which did not freeze!), and proceeded with the install.

Success! I can now boot from the HDD. And since I flashed the BIOS already, there should be no issue with me going ahead and installing the SSD and ArcaOS, per my original plan.

That'll be next payday, though, when I can pony up the dosh for an ArcaOS license. In the meantime I at least have a usable T43.

dhe

#5 Post by dhe » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:28 am

I purchased a PATA/SSD for my T43 (model 1871).

Used the BIO's I found here:
BIO’s found at: https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/VrSpChCb#file

Received worse performance then from the drive I had, used the following to time performance:
time dd bs=1M count=1000 if=/dev/zero of=1000M.bin
With old drive, 31.4341s, 33.4 mbps
PATA... Was slower, both in time and mbps (sorry, didn't save the results), but it was noticeably slower).

I've not figured out how to upgrade the Embeded Controller, I have 1.03, would like to go to 1.05, every time I make a floppy, it fails to read. Tried copying the files, to a bootable DOS usb drive, I can't figure out the magical incantation to trigger an update....