Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Replacing a system board

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Thinkpaduser72

Replacing a system board

#1 Post by Thinkpaduser72 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:20 am

I have a T40 which I have not used for several years. I recently attempted to power it up and received four groups of four beeps which the Hardware Maintenance Manual indicates is a system board,(security chip) problem. In the section on replacing the system board it indicates the need to restore the serial number which requires a Hardware Maintenance Diskette to do. I searched this forum for more information and found many posts from members with the same problem and links to where this can be downloaded. Unfortunately, none of the links still worked. A member post offered to provide this but a subsequent post stated he would no longer do this. Before I try replacing the system board I feel I need this diskette. Could any other members who received it be willing to provide me a copy?
Thanks in advance.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Replacing a system board

#2 Post by Neil » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:49 am

You don't really have to have the maintenance diskette to replace a system board. Most replacement boards you can find now are not new anyway, and will probably have a serial number and system type numbers already in place. It won't match your system, but will work non-the-less. Brand new boards would not have the numbers, but would still function without them.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Replacing a system board

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)